Cold Smoker 5 Metres High

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

aussieant USER_AVATAR
AussieAnt
Pilgrim

Cold Smoker 5 Metres High

Postby AussieAnt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 am

Hi, I reposted this topic as I now know what it is and the art in which to use it.

I just sat down with my friend for hours and talked all about his technique of smoking. While we chatted I ate pork that had basically been cured outside on a plastic picnic table with a tea towel.

I have been blown away with what I learnt today. Not only how and when to select the animal you are going to kill but the best cuts and how to cure it without any heat, in just a cold smoker. I take my hat off to anyone that can feed me pork that hasn't seen heat to cook it. He also gave me a rundown on the delicacy of eating half cured/smoked sausages which they do every time they smoke sausages.

Not only did I learn the basics of this art but also when\where\how etc. I learnt what ingredients to put in and what not to. He is going to teach me how to cook this way and take me under his wing.

Please forgive me if I use the wrong names/terminology for things but only have ever cooked on charcoal, never smoked a thing.

Here is his smoker. It has 102 butcher hooks up top. I look forward to posting my first time ever pics in smoking meat.

If it's not cooked on Fire/Charcoal - Forgedaboudit
Love Mallee Root Charcoal!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Cold Smoker 5 Metres High

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 am

Wow and interesting.........don't know what my HOA would say... Always interesting to learn new but old techniques.
Keep posting.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 pm

I am with PT, very interesting. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
aussieant USER_AVATAR
AussieAnt
Pilgrim

Postby AussieAnt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Just one or two things I have learnt today. As I'm a virgin I'm not out to make arguments or debt on what I have been told (Nor could I) :) Wether it is right or wrong, as with everything in life - "Each to their own". Some comments come from someone that breeds his own cows/pigs/chickens etc. Also I'm not sure if it just applies to cold smoking or smoking in general. Everything that was said to me was in broken English and I may have misunderstood or we guessed the wrong word as we chatted. Lol :)

1, Don't use cows that are 2 years old or younger as they retain too much water in the meat. You will find air pockets in your sausages and find your sausages shrink heaps. The best cow to eat is one that has had 3 to 4 births as their meat has just become the best to eat.

2. Never use black pepper if you plan to freeze your sausages, as the black pepper will go acidic over time. Although you can still eat the sausages, apparently it is really bad for your stomach.

3. Never kill a pig while she is in heat. Once you see the pig is not interested in sex, this is the time to kill her.

4. Male pigs are ok to eat as long as you castrate them 4-6 months prior to killing.

5. I was also told cold smoked fat is very good for you, it is only bad when fat is heated and cooked.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:45 pm

AussieAnt wrote:Just one or two things I have learnt today. As I'm a virgin I'm not out to make arguments or debt on what I have been told (Nor could I) :) Wether it is right or wrong, as with everything in life - "Each to their own". Some comments come from someone that breeds his own cows/pigs/chickens etc. Also I'm not sure if it just applies to cold smoking or smoking in general. Everything that was said to me was in broken English and I may have misunderstood or we guessed the wrong word as we chatted. Lol :)

1, Don't use cows that are 2 years old or younger as they retain too much water in the meat. You will find air pockets in your sausages and find your sausages shrink heaps. The best cow to eat is one that has had 3 to 4 births as their meat has just become the best to eat.

2. Never use black pepper if you plan to freeze your sausages, as the black pepper will go acidic over time. Although you can still eat the sausages, apparently it is really bad for your stomach.

3. Never kill a pig while she is in heat. Once you see the pig is not interested in sex, this is the time to kill her.

4. Male pigs are ok to eat as long as you castrate them 4-6 months prior to killing.

5. I was also told cold smoked fat is very good for you, it is only bad when fat is heated and cooked.

#1 New to me but then I haven't raised livestock either
#2 Never heard of that one either however fresh is always much better.
#3 Makes sense why deal with hormones.
#4 This one I have heard.
#5 New to me I have done both. Now for cured meat very high heat cooking (think bacon) can create carcinogens.

Good to hear these things I'm they are time tested.
PT
tarde venientibus ossa....
aussieant USER_AVATAR
AussieAnt
Pilgrim

Postby AussieAnt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Hey Papa,

Papa Tom wrote:#2 Never heard of that one either however fresh is always much better.
PT
It can sometimes take up to 1 month + to finish the whole smoking process, just all depends on the weather. So when he does smoke, he smokes all his meats/sausages at one time and spreads it around and freezes the rest.

Papa Tom wrote:#5 New to me I have done both. Now for cured meat very high heat cooking (think bacon) can create carcinogens.
PT
Any fat that is hot smoked or grilled (sausages/burgers/steaks) etc. turns the fat into bad cholesterol and is bad for the heart, liver etc. If cold smoked, non heated it has no cholesterol and will not damage the liver, heart.
If you have a heart attack the Drs suggest you eat this kind of fat.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”