American Royal

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big l USER_AVATAR
Big L
Pilgrim

American Royal

Postby Big L » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 am

Going to the American Royal this year for the first time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated everyone.
Thank you
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: American Royal

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 am

Start saving now. :lol:
I just received my second invite and will hang it on my wall. I doubt I will ever go.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:09 am

k.a.m. wrote:Start saving now. :lol:
I just received my second invite and will hang it on my wall. I doubt I will ever go.

This! between $2,000 & $2,500 bucks if you take and RV or stay in hotel. Less if'n ya camp under a tarp! :)
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Bring plenty of sugar!!! Good luck to ya. :salut:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Hope to meet you there ... Looks like I'll be going back this year
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
allend23
Wrangler

Postby allend23 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

Its an expensive trip but in my opinion everyone needs to experience it at least once. For the competition, start practicing KCBS thighs and pork. The judges will want a variety of preparations of pork so try to get some work with slicing the money muscle, maybe some chopped, chunks, tubes, etc. Start experimenting with making cubes of brisket point. All of the bbq being cooked in that region leans more to the sweeter side so maybe take a little heat away if you produce a hotter or spicier product(that's your decision to make). Garnishing is important too so maybe do Bedford if you want to get some practice in. I cant stress enough how important the appearance is for your boxes so be as meticulous with your garnishing and presentation as possible. Aside from the competition standpoint, have as much fun as possible! Its an awesome experience and you will meet some great people. Try and befriend some KCBS teams and more than likely they will take you around and meet other people. Venture over to the "dark side" of the competition and you will see some unbelievable parties and hopefully you can get into a few of em. In the end most of us Texas cooks are at a big disadvantage because KCBS is a different style of cooking so just treat it as an awesome experience and try and kick some butt when its time to cook! Take lots of pictures too!
-Allen Day
Sons of Barbecue

Pitmaker trailer with Vault and Grillmeister
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I plan on making the trip up there this year too.
big l USER_AVATAR
Big L
Pilgrim

Postby Big L » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you everyone who commented...I really appreciate the help. We will see everyone there, and hopefully get some calls.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Be prepared to give your brisket a "Blue's Hog Bath" ... and thats after it's been massaged in brown sugar... :laughing7:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Big L wrote:Going to the American Royal this year for the first time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated everyone.
Thank you

This will be my 4th year in row and its a fun cook off.

-The spaces are really tight and you will be forced to stay in you assigned spot so no over flow of you stuff. With that said pack light only take what you need.
-There are 2 cooks off in one weekend, if you got a invite to the Invitational, the walks to turn in can be a long way so bring some help.
-Get there early as you can. I well try to pull in Wed. That gives you All of Thursday to get rested and walk around to check things out.
-When you register go ahead and purchase ice and what not. They will deliver it as you need it
-A water truck will come by through out the event to fill you tanks. You will need to dump gray water in a drain our catch the porta cleaner guys.
-Do all of you meat prep at home vacuum seal. It will save you so much time.
-It is very expensive but worth the experience and you never know if could be your day.
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”