Backyard offset with vertical and insulated FB build (4/21)

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

4Mfarms
Wrangler

Backyard offset with vertical and insulated FB build (4/21)

Postby 4Mfarms » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 am

I decided to do a quick build while on Christmas break and use up some of the left over material I have laying around.

Cooking chamber: 20" diameter x 35" long x 3/8" thick wall pipe
Vertical chamber: 20" wide and deep x 30" tall x 3/16" thick
Firebox: double wall insulated with 2" ceramic wool on all 6 sides, 20 x 20 x 20 outside dimensions

I get all my FB plates cut at a local metal fab shop to exact specifications which makes for easy welding. The entire FB takes half a day from start to perfect finish. Making the insulated door with damper and grinding all the edges of the FB and door smooth take the most time.

I built the vertical chamber this evening, minus the door and door flange. I also torch cut the cooking chamber door minus tabs to allow it to cool tonight.

I wasn't able to upload pics tonight due to internet problems but check back tomorrow evening and I'll try to have some posted.

Philip
Last edited by 4Mfarms on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Backyard offset with vertical and insulated FB build

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:52 am

Sound good, watching for photos. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
bullypitbbq USER_AVATAR
bullypitbbq
Rustler

Postby bullypitbbq » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 am

Waiting for photos
You only live once, so live every day as if it were your last.
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 am

Ok, so I am a little late with the pictures but I did get some more work done tonight in the 3 SIDED refreshingly cold SHOP (so cold I grew whiskers). I have been using basically the same methods as I did in my signature build, so if I don't explain something clearly (or you need more references) check it out as well.

These are 4" ID stacks on top of the vertical. I still need to make the dome pipe caps to where they swing open.

This is the damper that goes into the vertical. It can only be adjusted by opening the vertical door and moving it. I do it this way to keep everything looking clean and sharp on the outside, and it really doesn't get moved but maybe 1-2 times during a cook.
Open
Closed

Here are some pictures of how tight my door straps fit. I do my straps a little different than most builders but achieve the same look (except I think mine are neater/cleaner looking) and function. I use 1.5" wide x 1/8" thick flat to make my straps (makes a 3/4" overlap on both sides). I bend my strap to fit the curve of the door to as close as I can. After doing so, I drill 3/8" holes spaced roughly 1.5" apart on one half of the strap. With a buffer wheel, I grind the mating side (side that is against the door) to remove any burrs from drilling holes. I plug weld the holes using clamps between each hole to ensure a tight fit of the strap with the door surface. I smooth out the plug weld and away we go. The plug welds ARE NOT ground clean in these pictures yet.

I weld the curved pieces first and check the fit before welding the horizontal strap. If some door warping occurred during the cutting process this is the best time to fix it and not mess up your door straps. I have not had a door warp using this strap method as of yet (more than a dozen doors built this way).

Here are some pictures of my insulated FB. If you have questions as to how/why I did something ask away!!
Inside shell: I cut out hole according to Feldon Calc.

This is how I get my insulation installed. I put the FB door side down on 1/2" thick metal table so the front is all on the same plane. I tack weld the left, top, and right side of the outside shell together, then slide them down and tack them to the bottom outside plate once insulation is wrapped around.

This picture shows the back of the FB once everything is tacked. The insulation is one continuous piece.

I cut out the same hole as before, this time only dropped 2" and tack the back outside plate to the FB. I make sure this plate is perfectly square before any FB fabrication to ensure the outside shell is perfectly square.

A few more picture of the FB:

FB door looks like a solid steel block but it is insulated as well.

Everywhere you see white insulation will be capped with 2" flat iron and ground pretty and smooth. Every gap measures 2" inside measurement so I still get the same overlap as everything else keeping all the corners slightly rounded.

After tomorrow, I hope to be 90% done!!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 am

Very nice work Philip. I look forward to seeing the finished work. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bullypitbbq USER_AVATAR
bullypitbbq
Rustler

Postby bullypitbbq » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Great fabrication skills! Cant wait to see more
Fish and teach
Wrangler

Postby Fish and teach » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:25 am

I like it. I understand the cold part. I'm building mine under a roof but no sides...

Won't be doing much on it this weekend sadly due to the weather
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Thank you Kevin.

Thank you bullypitbbq.

Thank you Fish and teach. When the wind is strong out of the south, I can't do much welding cause the south side of my shop is open and it blows my welding gas. When the wind is from the north, the welder gets a good workout!!
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Here are a few things I did yesterday evening when the wind died down some. I had to light the candle to stay a little warmer last night.

Here is a close up a my weld on the vertical chamber. It makes for easy rounding of the corners with a buffer wheel.

I got the FB finished up except for the damper and stainless steel slam latch.

This pic shows the gap around the door. It’s between 1/8" and 3/16".

Inside of FB with 1" square tubing that I will attach a gasket to for an air tight door. I have 2" steel pieces I use to set the depth of the sq. tubing so that it is even all the way around.

I also mount my door hinges to allow me to fully remove the door from the pit if necessary. I added a rain lip using 1.5" flat steel and 45* the corners.

I didn't quite get to mounting the cooker door yesterday but here are pics of the hinges I have a fireman buddy cutout for me on a plasmacam. I get them in bulk quantities (50+) because every door uses 6 quarter moons. I drill the hole myself for more precise hinges. Hinges are 1/4" thick and span 3" OD on the final half-moon look.

The fireman also cuts out my handle attachments.

I am about to head up to the shop now to do some more work on it. I will be sure to take some more pics. If there are certain pics you want to see, let me know and I will try to get them for you.
chashint
Wrangler

Postby chashint » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:59 am

Nice work.
Do you build 'em just for fun or do you sell them?
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:41 am

Chashint, I started with building a trailered pit for myself and it has sort of grown from there via word of mouth. I build them for fun but I do sell them. Being a student at Texas A&M, I build them during breaks and the summer. If someone comes to me wanting a pit, we firgure out what they want and go from there.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Some mighty fine work there, looking good.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
bullypitbbq USER_AVATAR
bullypitbbq
Rustler

Postby bullypitbbq » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Awesome. I like the fire boxis the damper going to be insulated as well?
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Bullypitbbq, no the damper won't be insulated but I put the damper on the inside of the fb.
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Re: Backyard offset with vertical and insulated FB build (1/

Postby 4Mfarms » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Here are a few more updates of the build. I should have it completed and off to paint tomorrow.

I drill an 1/8" hole in the center of one hinge and use it to mark the rest of the holes for the bolt. I put a 3/8" stainless bolt and lock nut on the final product.
Image Image

I use a small piece of thin flat and weld it to the back of the hinges and clean it up with flapper disc for door stop.
Image Image Image

Completed exhaust covers
Image Image

Pictures in no particular order
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image

The last day of build before it went to paint
Image Image

Added some 1" tubing for handles

I had this piece of stainless that was 36" long and the CC in on 34" so I notched out the stainless around the FB in order to fit closer to the CC.
Image Image

Here is a close up pic of a platform I made for the strike plate on the VB. The VB will have a stainless slam latch.
Image Image

This is the internal damper on the FB. The FB will also be equipped with a slam latch.
Image Image Image

This is the stainless handle on the CC. The black is electrical tape to protect the handle when tack welding the mounts.

Hope you enjoyed the build. If you have any questions let me know!! I will post a final pic when it is back from paint and smoke rolling out the exhaust.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”