New Reverse Flow Build 24"x84"

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

New Reverse Flow Build 24"x84"

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:59 am

A friend of a friend has been looking for a pit for a while now, after not finding what he wanted I volunteered to build him a pit. :banghead:

Ordered all of the parts last week, found a place locally that sells 24" pipe for $42/ft, not too bad so I bit the bullet. I also elected to have all of the flat parts pre-cut on a laser table, it did add some cost to the project but was well worth it, I had what you see in the pics completed in just a few hours. This is what I've got so far.

I do have a question for you experienced metal workers, how are yall and some of the larger pit manufacturers grinding their outside corner seams so smooth and perfect? Ive got these really close but painted will still see some small waves, being somewhat of a perfectionist, this drives me nuts.

20150110_171820_resized_1 (2).jpg

20150110_223819_resized_1 (2).jpg

20150111_130510_resized_1 (2).jpg
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: New Reverse Flow Build 24"x84"

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am

TexasPyro wrote:I do have a question for you experienced metal workers, how are yall and some of the larger pit manufacturers grinding their outside corner seams so smooth and perfect? Ive got these really close but painted will still see some small waves, being somewhat of a perfectionist, this drives me nuts.

You can use a belt sander on them.
Personally I like seeing welds so they do not bother me, I am a fabricator not a body shop man. In my opinion what you have right now looks fine. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

I used those round multi layered sand paper wheels on the small grinder (dont know the correct name). They come in different grits and actually "grind" better than a real grinding wheel in certain situations and looks much much better. I buy them at the place i buy my steel from but am sure other places carry them too.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:39 pm

RWBTEX wrote:I used those round multi layered sand paper wheels on the small grinder (dont know the correct name). They come in different grits and actually "grind" better than a real grinding wheel in certain situations and looks much much better. I buy them at the place i buy my steel from but am sure other places carry them too.

The most common name for them is "Tiger disc" Arnie. :D
I use the 40 grit Dewalt brand, they are about a 1/2" thick when new and last a lot longer than others I have tried.
I am thinking TexasPyro has some dips and dives in his corners because of the welds not being uniform up and down, A belt sander would be flatter and take out the highs while leaving the lows alone. It is a lot of work making a corner look like a factory roll. It would be easier to get most of the pieces broke, this would cut down on the amount of shaping you would have to do.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:31 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
TexasPyro wrote:I do have a question for you experienced metal workers, how are yall and some of the larger pit manufacturers grinding their outside corner seams so smooth and perfect? Ive got these really close but painted will still see some small waves, being somewhat of a perfectionist, this drives me nuts.

You can use a belt sander on them.
Personally I like seeing welds so they do not bother me, I am a fabricator not a body shop man. In my opinion what you have right now looks fine. :D

Thanks KAM, my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, its really close, I just want that look like its been broke, even then there will be welds to grind smooth. Ive seen most of the higher end pits, one thing they all have in common (on the non-insulated pits) is the smooth corners on the firebox and pit ends, surely there is a trick to it... I'll give the belt sander a shot, I was thinking the other day that it may work, you pushed me over the edge, off to the hardware store!

RWBTEX wrote:I used those round multi layered sand paper wheels on the small grinder (don't know the correct name). They come in different grits and actually "grind" better than a real grinding wheel in certain situations and looks much much better. I buy them at the place i buy my steel from but am sure other places carry them too.

I've always known them as "Flap Discs" they work wonders getting things close, I just don't see someone getting a laser straight edge with them. Perhaps they are and I lack the talent...

The cheapest place Ive found them is Lehigh Valley Abrasives (yes its spelled correctly) Google them and check it out. I paid $1.86 per disc last time I ordered. They honestly last twice as long as any other disc Ive used, and I've used a bunch, from $4ea to $9ea...

Thanks for the tips guys,

Blake
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:34 pm

More progress, pardon the mess in the garage! Anyone want a junk mattress out of a motorhome!?!? I cant give this thing away, the trash service wont even take it!

4 (2).jpg

5 (2).jpg

6 (2).jpg
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 pm

More.. The doors are pretty much finished, they sprung about an 1/8", I don't know whether to try to get them back into shape or just go with some RTV sealant around the door frame. I "V" notched the doors underneath and welded the strapping for a super clean look on the exterior. Pretty happy with it so far.

7 (2).jpg

8 (2).jpg
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Looks good Blake! :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:42 pm

TexasPyro, you can use a bottle jack and a chain to bring the doors back into shape.
Either lay some angle iron Vee up by the door strap as a standoff for the chain so it does not bend the strap or weld the chain to the inside and cut it loose once you have the doors tweaked.
I hope this helps. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks Kam, I used a floor jack and bent them some, I'm scared to go too far and be out of luck, bending them back the other way has haunted me in the past...

I figured out my rounded corner problem, turns out I was using conical flap discs and not flat, once I switched to flat and spent a little more time on them they flattened right out, I'm happy with them.

Here are a couple progress pics from the weekend.

10 (2).jpg

11 (2).jpg

12 (2).jpg
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Lookin good Blake! :D
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:59 pm

Blake,
Can you tell me the purpose of mounting your stack the way you did? Is it purely cosmetic, because it does look great, or is it more functional? Trying to decide how to mount my stack and I like the way yours looks. Thanks.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:58 pm

While I consider my welds top notch, they aren't Kevins, the guys a master, all there is to it and...like you, I prefer the one piece look as well. We're only talking outside corner joints anyways.I once had a couple ask if I had the FB poured in a mold. Ha ha, obvious to most I did not, it was fun to hear. Here is what I do. First, I use a 7" grinder. A 4 1/2" will drive you nuts so if you have the 7", use it. The discs I use I believe are the same as kevin (k.a.m.) tho I call them flap discs. I use the 40 grit as well. The 60 and 80 will glaze up on you halfway thru their life and become useless. I rough grind my seams with however many discs it takes and then follow up with a brand new disc for touch up. the slightly or very used discs is where most of the wave comes from. The new disc being at it's best can be used almost like surfboard shaper, long fast grinds that will pick up mostly high spots. Eyeball it until you're happy. It'll never look like the Ferrari you just got back from the body shop, what the heck, it's a BBQ smoker but with the 7" and a new disc, you can get a darn nice seam. If you are looking to clean a slightly inverted seam, either a metal sanding disc can be used (requires a backing kit) or a 4 1/2" cutoff disc can be used to help blend it in. Be sure you really want to do the inverted seam before you start, they can be a lot of work, the exterior/ outside bend not so much, piece of cake once you get the hang of it. FWIW...I prefer the Diablo brand disc found at my HD at least, not sure elsewhere. As good and long lasting as a DeWalt disc, a buck or 2 cheaper and use a provided backing nut rather than the front side one from your grinder. Nothing to interfere when the disc starts getting worn. JM$.02worth Looking good so far, I like the exhaust plenum. :D

Inverted seam
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 am

Looking good Pyro, very nice work. I'm trying to find the time to start on mine, now that the cook off season is in full swing it's hard to get anything done on weekends. Tiger disc sounds good to me KAM.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Finally got around to finishing the pit, it'll be off to be sandblasted next week and hopefully painted next weekend.

New Pit.jpg

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”