Another stack question...

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Fish and teach
Wrangler

Another stack question...

Postby Fish and teach » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:47 pm

I just started on my build. 20" pipe 3/8" wall. CC is 44". FB is 22". 6" x 6" FB intake and 58 sq in flow from FB to CC. On the other end I have a 36" long 20" diameter smoking tower/ warming tower that will be baffled to to control flow into the tower. I'm using a 28" long exhaust stack on CC. My question is " how long should the exhaust stack be on the smoking tower? It will be 4" also.

Love this site BTW!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Another stack question...

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Fish and teach wrote:I just started on my build. 20" pipe 3/8" wall. CC is 44". FB is 22". 6" x 6" FB intake and 58 sq in flow from FB to CC. On the other end I have a 36" long 20" diameter smoking tower/ warming tower that will be baffled to to control flow into the tower. I'm using a 28" long exhaust stack on CC. My question is " how long should the exhaust stack be on the smoking tower? It will be 4" also.

Love this site BTW!

I would use two 4" ID exhausts 6" to 12" tall.
They would exit on the side at the top.
Or one 6" exhaust 12" tallat the same position.
The upright is your exhaust, you are just looking for a way for the heat/smoke to leave the chamber without stalling.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Fish and teach
Wrangler

Postby Fish and teach » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks k.a.m. That's what I was thinking but I figured many of you had much more experience with this.
chas
Pilgrim

Postby chas » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Your cc stack size and length need to be increased. Diameter should be 6 inches. Stack should start at the top and extend 36 inches above the top of the cc. The bottom of the stack should be cut on a angle provide a better uniform flow of heat/smoke across the meat this will provide a more uniform temp in the cc. You need the same or more exhaust volume than the intake air of the fire box.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:59 am

chas wrote:Your cc stack size and length need to be increased. Diameter should be 6 inches. Stack should start at the top and extend 36 inches above the top of the cc. The bottom of the stack should be cut on a angle provide a better uniform flow of heat/smoke across the meat this will provide a more uniform temp in the cc. You need the same or more exhaust volume than the intake air of the fire box.

The 4" exhausts in question are on the upright portion of the cooker. There is no need in having a long exhaust on an upright chamber, it in itself once heated will created the draft. You only need an adequate exit place.
The 4" x 28" exhaust he has on the 20" horizontal cooking chamber is more than adequate to draft that portion of his cooker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Fish and teach
Wrangler

Postby Fish and teach » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:37 pm

I weighed my incompleted smoker with 3 bathroom scales and it's approaching 600#. The grinding left to do won't knock off much so I'm gonna leave the smoker end off since it's about 100#. I went with 4"x28" stack (per Feldon's calculator). Waiting for the weather to get on the top side of 32 since my building occurs outside (we need a shivering smiley!) to finish her up. May go run a chimney of charcoal through the pit if I get cabin fever just to check draft before I finish strapping the doors and grinding down smooth. Thanks for all the advice guys. I love is place
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:00 am

Fish and teach, I just noticed you were located in Riesel. I'm located in West, so if you ever need any help let me know. Looking forward to seeing the finished build!!!

Philip
Fish and teach
Wrangler

Postby Fish and teach » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 am

4Mfarms wrote:Fish and teach, I just noticed you were located in Riesel. I'm located in West, so if you ever need any help let me know. Looking forward to seeing the finished build!!!

Philip

Cool. Maybe we can get together sometime and compare notes!
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 pm

I would be more than happy to share!!!

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”