Help with new Pitmaker competition trailer

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DR.
Pilgrim

Help with new Pitmaker competition trailer

Postby DR. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I am sold on the Pitmaker smokers and am about to finalize my new comp trailer. I want the magnum sniper smoker because I'm still an offset stick burner at heart. Also getting the 30" grillmeister for the grilling duties. Will have plenty of storage boxes with stainless tops and a sink etc....

But I'm torn whether to get a vault(Or safe) as well. This will be for competitions as well as backyard cooking (Sometimes cook for 30-40) and tailgating at football games. I just don't know if i would use it all that much. Like i said, I'm an offset stick burner at heart but Pitmaker really pushes their safes and vaults. Don't know of many people using them on the competition scene but looks like a ton of backyard cooks are using them.

Anyone on here with experience with any of the above?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DR. on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Re: Help with new Pitmaker competition trailer

Postby NPayne1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

DR, I don't personally have a vault or safe, but I want one. As a fellow stick burner I know the love of an offset, but the vault offers another tool to the arsenal. As for comp guys, I know a ton using them and love them. They also produce some GC que!
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Magnum by itself can hold a lot of meat. Safe plus the magnum is more than plenty for comps or home cooking. On the other hand for those times when you can't tend the offset the bigger vault is nice to have. It's all preference and some extra $ for sure..

Personally I want one of their snipers, smaller one is fine with me. I got a WSM for set and forget it cooks, although it can't hold very much meat. It's all good.. good luck with whatever you get!
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 pm

I have a safe and love it. I had a vault as well but it was too big for my needs. My buddy had a magnum sniper and it was a great pit as well. You can do everything you need on the magnum but if you have an extra couple grand burning a hole in your pocket you won't be disappointed with the safe.
"Sic 'em Bears"
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I have a vault myself... bascially a vertical reverse flow smoker. 5 trays and I can cook 10-15 briskets on it at once. Love it ... wouldnt have any other cooker at this point.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Save your money. If you decide you need it you can always go back and add it.

That sniper has more than enough room. I competed on a vault and now have one on my catering trailer. All the hype is accurate but I really don't like having to arrange my products like I do on a vertical, way easier to manage the products moving horizontally than vertically.

For example, chicken takes the least amount of time to cook. If your not going to cook it on the bottom of a vertical, where does it go if you have other meats not done or wrapped yet? Raw poultry can't be dripping on the other meats that are almost done.

Tell em you want tuning plates and to insulate your firebox instead...
DR.
Pilgrim

Postby DR. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Thank you for all the replies. Some really good points of interest mentioned here.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”