2015 Humble BBQ Cook Off

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bourbon cowboy USER_AVATAR
Bourbon Cowboy
Pilgrim

2015 Humble BBQ Cook Off

Postby Bourbon Cowboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:36 am

Did anyone else get an email from the promoter with new Humble Fire Department Rules for the 2015 cook off?
I talked with a couple of other teams and they did not get them. We dropped out of the cook off because of these new rules.
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Re: 2015 Humble BBQ Cook Off

Postby B&K Smokers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:40 am

I got the email but then they also sent another one a few days later and retracted some of the rules. It does seem like this cook off is getting more and more like montgomery county, houston, and other cook offs that take it to the extreme.

What specific part made you drop out?
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 am

I only do the East Montgomery Fair cook off and don't know of any extreme rules. I too am curious as to what Humble's new rules are.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:50 am

East Montgomery County is way laid back compared to Montgomery county and now Humble.

The Fire Marshalls have implemented a ton of new rules this year for Humble. Just makes it a major pain if you are just there to cook. The rules are really for the larger tents that throw big parties.

Barbeque Cook-off
Fire and Life Safety Requirements

Tent Area:
1. Smoking:
a. Smoking is not permitted inside of any tent structures or within 25 feet of a tent structures. No-smoking signs shall be posted at the entrance.

2. Tents:
a. All tents, canopies, and tarps must be flame retardant or be treated with an approved material. On-site testing may be necessary to determine if the material is flame retardant. A flame-retardant certificate must be available on-site at all times during the Contest set-up, event and move-out, and provided to the Fire Marshal Official upon request. This is the renter’s responsibility, not the tent company’s responsibility.
b. Combustible materials such as hay or straw may not be used inside or outside of any tent space.
c. Trash and rubbish shall not be allowed to accumulate.

3. Exits:
a. The required minimum width of each exit and pathway leading to the exit must be kept clear at all times.
b. Pits, heaters, or other heating/cooking/combustible equipment shall not be located adjacent to passageways, exits, or other combustible walls or materials.

4. Occupancy Load:
a. The occupancy load shall be posted on the front of the tents.
b. The occupancy load will be contingent on the occupiable space inside of the tent area.

5. Heaters:
a. All heaters shall be approved and listed for use. Any heaters requiring propane must be connected properly with the propane container located outside the tent or inside the approved heater. Patio heaters are acceptable for 2015 event. May change for 2016 event.
b. Heaters shall not be located closer than 5 feet from exits, decorations, tent membrane or ceiling.

6. Fire Extinguishers:
a. Fire extinguishers shall be provided by each team per the following:
i. 200-500 square feet of floor area: One (1) 2-A:10-B:C rated portable fire extinguisher.
ii. 501-1000 square feet of floor area: Two (2) 2-A:10-B:C rated portable fire extinguisher.
iii. Each additional 2000 square feet of floor area or fraction thereof: One (1) 2-A: 10-B:C rated portable fire extinguisher.
iv. At least one (1) 2-A:10-B:C rated portable fire extinguisher shall be provided by each team for each kitchen, mess hall, power generator or transformer and at locations where flammable and combustible liquids are used, stored or dispensed, and as required by the Fire Marshal.
v. A type K extinguisher is required for all locations where deep-frying is being conducted.
vi. All extinguishers must be inspected and have a current inspection date tag attached (this includes new extinguishers).

7. Fuel:
a. LP-gas cylinders shall be in approved locations and away from the public. Protective barriers are required to keep the public at least 3 feet away from LP-gas cylinders.
b. LP-gas cylinders in service must be secured to prevent tipping over (this can be in milk crates or secured to the tent posts).
c. All fuel for Generators (i.e., kerosene, diesel, gasoline) will be limited to 5 gallons and must be in an UL-approved safety container. The fuel containers must be located in an approved location. Approved locations are outside the tent, away from the public, and in a secured area away from the walls of the tent and propane area.

Smoker/Pit/Grill and Cooking Appliances:
a. Smoker/Pit/Grill must be placed 5 feet away from the tent membrane and/ or other combustible materials. * 2015 event only, 10 feet for 2016 event.
b. Wood, charcoal or other Smoker/Pit/Grill heating materials must be 10 feet away from Smoker/Pit/Grill or other cooking appliances when being stored.
c. Smoker/Pit/Grill and Fire box must be protected from public at all times. Protective shields or barricades must provide a 3 foot space between the public and Smoker/Pit/Grill and cooking surfaces (this includes electric and charcoal cooking).
d. There must be someone present when the Smoker/Pit/Grill or cooking appliance is in operation. “Operation”- means when there is heat coming from the device.
e. Smoker/Pit/Grill and cooking appliances must be in proper working condition, i.e. no rust holes in the fire box, flue connected.
f. All run off liquids from the pits and cooking appliances shall be collected and disposed of properly. No oils or greases shall accumulate under the pits or cooking appliances.

Utility Alley, Fire Access Lanes and Fire Lanes:
1. Utility Alley: *Variance given for the 2015 Rodeo and Cook-off, will be enforced in 2016.
a. Utility alleys between the tents shall be no less than 10 feet. This utility alley will allow for generators and fuel to be placed along this area. The alley shall remain free of debris and objects. The utility alley will give access to the rear of tents during emergencies.
2. Fire Access Lanes:
a. Driving access lanes around the tents shall be not less than 26 feet.
b. All gate openings shall remain free of tents, vehicles and objects.

3. Fire Lanes:
a. City Ordinance- Sec. 18-77
i. 18-77 (d) It is hereby declared unlawful to park any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle in any fire lane as defined thereof. Where markings or signs are provided.
ii. 18-77 (h) No owner, manager or person in charge of any premises served by a required fire lane shall abandon or close such fire lane without the permission of the Fire Marshal.
b. Fire Lanes shall remain clear at all times. Unloading and loading of vehicles shall take place in posted areas.
Bourbon Cowboy
Pilgrim

Postby Bourbon Cowboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:12 pm

B&K we are a major party tent and have been for the past 9 years. The sole purpose at the beginning was to attract people to the cook off for the charity. We formed a 501(c)(3) just for this event. These rules killed our operation. We attracted more people to Humble than any team out there and now we will not be there as long as these rules are in place, which I am sure will be forever. So the rules weren't made to make it hard on the teams who just want to cook.

The rules that prevent us from operating are below.

2. Tents:
a. All tents, canopies, and tarps must be flame retardant or be treated with an approved material. On-site testing may be necessary to determine if the material is flame retardant. A flame-retardant certificate must be available on-site at all times during the Contest set-up, event and move-out, and provided to the Fire Marshal Official upon request. This is the renter’s responsibility, not the tent company’s responsibility.

Our kitchen tent and competition area tents are not certified flame retardant and we don't have the money to replace those 3 tents. The rental tent is no problem.

4. Occupancy Load:
a. The occupancy load shall be posted on the front of the tents.
b. The occupancy load will be contingent on the occupiable space inside of the tent area.

They did not defined this but replied back and told me our occupancy load was 186 for a 40' x 70' tent. If you subtract the team members and band out of that number that only leaves us with around 150 people at one time. we have far exceeded this in the past. It's kind of hard to tell sponsors to stand out in the rain or cold and wait for someone else to leave.

5. Heaters:
a. All heaters shall be approved and listed for use. Any heaters requiring propane must be connected properly with the propane container located outside the tent or inside the approved heater. Patio heaters are acceptable for 2015 event. May change for 2016 event.
b. Heaters shall not be located closer than 5 feet from exits, decorations, tent membrane or ceiling.

We use patio heater and have done so for 9 years with no problems. I am not buying new heaters.

Smoker/Pit/Grill and Cooking Appliances:
a. Smoker/Pit/Grill must be placed 5 feet away from the tent membrane and/ or other combustible materials. * 2015 event only, 10 feet for 2016 event.
b. Wood, charcoal or other Smoker/Pit/Grill heating materials must be 10 feet away from Smoker/Pit/Grill or other cooking appliances when being stored.

It is absolutely impossible for us to comply with this with the space provides. I think this is very overzealous. But we couldn't comply if it were 2'. It also means you can't cover your pit. The weather at Humble this time of the year is very unpredictable and usually not good.

Utility Alley, Fire Access Lanes and Fire Lanes:
1. Utility Alley: *Variance given for the 2015 Rodeo and Cook-off, will be enforced in 2016.
a. Utility alleys between the tents shall be no less than 10 feet. This utility alley will allow for generators and fuel to be placed along this area. The alley shall remain free of debris and objects. The utility alley will give access to the rear of tents during emergencies.

Not sure where they expect this 10' to come from? Is it part of the team spot or is this something the promoter has to build into his layout?
The spots are only 30' x 40' so I assume they will have to come from to promoters' layout.
Also how will they manage their 5' spacing rule between tents and pits if I put my pit on the line of my spot and my neighbor wants to put a tent on the same line on his spot?
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Those are some nutty rules. We use a 10x10 EZ-p for my cookers and a 10x20 cheapie from Academy for the eating area. We'd never qualify, but we just enter to cook and entertain friends. Maybe they had some insurance issues and had to adopt the new policies to get coverage.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:11 pm

I understand what you are talking about BC. This is what takes a nice cook off from a great event to a no fun all work and political nightmare.
Bourbon Cowboy
Pilgrim

Postby Bourbon Cowboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Our tent bought a lot of people to their gate to pay that $10 to get in and eat and drink free at our tent. We cooked around 1000 lbs of meat each year plus sides, served Rebecca Creek Whiskey and Enchanted Rock Vodka, margaritas from Chachi's Mexican Restaurant, wine from Raffa's Waterfront Gril and beer from Faust Distributors. We have served as many as 400 to 500 people. We didn't have food left over! I don't think there is anyone else there doing that. It's ashame because it was a fun laid back cook off that people loved to go to. It had none of the hassle that Houston has. Most good things come to an end sooner or later.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:30 pm

That's a whole lot of red tape!
Bob=O
Pilgrim

Postby Bob=O » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:06 pm

These rules are almost the same verbiage as Houston with a few modifications this year.Have a good time following them. Best of luck all!
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:01 am

Where do you go to get a new fire extinguisher inspected?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:56 am

B&K Smokers wrote:Where do you go to get a new fire extinguisher inspected?

Most all well established alarm company's have certified inspectors. I get mine inspected at the one that does my office here in Beaumont.
Also look and see if you have a fire extinguisher company like Simplex Grinnell in your area.
If the fire extinguisher has a plastic head chances are they will not inspect it.
If the fire extinguisher is loaded but out of date and needs to be serviced it is usually cheaper to buy a new one.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Backnblack
Pilgrim

Postby Backnblack » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm

I avoid anywhere I can't smoke cigars...
Bourbon Cowboy
Pilgrim

Postby Bourbon Cowboy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:25 pm

I have been to the Houston Cook Off many times and have never seen a 10' alleyway between teams. Although Humble backed off on implementing that rule this year I am told they will implement it next year.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”