COOK OFF EXPECTATIONS

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mod1818
Pilgrim

COOK OFF EXPECTATIONS

Postby mod1818 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 am

HI EVERYONE THIS IS MY 1ST YEAR OF DOING COMPS IN THE HOUSTON AREA I HAVE DONE 4 COOKOFFS WITH SOME GOOD CALLS BUT IS IT WRONG TO EXPECT TO WIN A GRAND CHAMPION IN MY 1 ST YEAR OF DOING COOK OFFS
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: COOK OFF EXPECTATIONS

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 am

Everyone that competes I would think goes into a comp wanting to win GC mod1818 I know I do. But to expect to win a GC would never enter my mind. My first year year cooking was met with several GC's and RGC's this year the same cook offs did not deliver those results. We have won a couple and are grateful for them, but I would never expect one because I know how the judging is done with using the public and how tastes very so a lot of the results follow under the heading of luck in my opinion.
You do need solid products no doubt, but even then you get beat its the nature of the beast. :D
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 am

k.a.m. wrote:Everyone that competes I would think goes into a comp wanting to win GC mod1818 I know I do. But to expect to win a GC would never enter my mind. My first year year cooking was met with several GC's and RGC's this year the same cook offs did not deliver those results. We have won a couple and are grateful for them, but I would never expect one because I know how the judging is done with using the public and how tastes very so a lot of the results follow under the heading of luck in my opinion.
You do need solid products no doubt, but even then you get beat its the nature of the beast. :D
I hope this helps. :D

Exactly what this guy said! ^^^^^^^^^

Even seasoned competitors don't go in with the expectation of a high finish. Now, if they're good cooks who are consistently hitting, they probably feel good about their odds. But an expectation- especially this early- is setting yourself up for a disappointment. Just an opinion...
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:10 pm

It does happen but it's not common.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:07 am

Yep, wrong to expect a GC your first year but is the goal to attain! Just don't get disappointed if'n it don't happen!

We won our first GC our 6th cookoff but I would say this was an exception and not a rule. Some mighty fine cooks can take years before they win the first GC or RGC. Judging is extremely subjective. You can cook the best que you ever cooked and will get NADA. Next cookoff, not yer best can place and win! Tis whut it is! Consistent cooking will get the results more times than not.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”