Comp ribs at cook offs

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Texan79423
Wrangler

Comp ribs at cook offs

Postby Texan79423 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:03 am

First off thanks to all who have posted here. I hope to get back to doing more cook offs, soon. I did go to a cook off a couple of weeks ago to visit old friends. I watched the judging to look at all the meats and noted that most of the turn ins had more of a rub coating than shinny glaze as I am accustom to.

I also noted that maybe 70% of the cooks were using some type of charcoal pit for ribs and chicken. So my question is do you guys still go with a heavy glaze and deep smoke or do the grilled ribs work.
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Re: Comp ribs at cook offs

Postby B&K Smokers » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:14 am

still go smoke and glaze.
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 am

I cook on my WSM, so it is charcoal and wood chunks. I do a rub beforehand and a glaze at the end. The judge lady at my comp over the weekend (TGCBCA) stated that no rub or sauce is to be put on after they come off the pit. Her words were "This isn't a sauce contest."
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 am

Scott P wrote:I cook on my WSM, so it is charcoal and wood chunks. I do a rub beforehand and a glaze at the end. The judge lady at my comp over the weekend (TGCBCA) stated that no rub or sauce is to be put on after they come off the pit. Her words were "This isn't a sauce contest."

I don't care for that attitude. I judge ribs on what the entrant is trying to express, not some preconceived notion.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:
Scott P wrote:I cook on my WSM, so it is charcoal and wood chunks. I do a rub beforehand and a glaze at the end. The judge lady at my comp over the weekend (TGCBCA) stated that no rub or sauce is to be put on after they come off the pit. Her words were "This isn't a sauce contest."

I don't care for that attitude. I judge ribs on what the entrant is trying to express, not some preconceived notion.

What she means is it has to be cooked on. That's a standard rule in LSBS and IBCA. So you glaze, sauce or what ever about the last 30 min or so of your cook. Let it set and not pool or look runny in your turn in box.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 pm

IBCA
Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM

TGCBCA
Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces, seasonings and/or liquids may not be added once put into the tray. There must be NO PUDDLING OR POOLING in the bottom of the tray
Do what you want before it goes in the box.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 pm

both fairly new rules for ibca and tgcbbqa. Lone Star however still requires it to be "cooked on"
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
ribcommanderbbq USER_AVATAR
RibCommanderBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby RibCommanderBBQ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Gotta smoke them ribs if your in TEXAS...no grilling!! I glaze mine and throw them back on the smoke for the last 15-20 minutes.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 am

Pony Express wrote:both fairly new rules for ibca and tgcbbqa. Lone Star however still requires it to be "cooked on"

The LSBS rule for saucing.
MARKERS AND GARNISH – Cooks may cook with sauce, however when preparing meat
for turn in, nothing may be added to the meat in the tray. Cook will be asked to correct their tray
if sauce or juice is added to the meat in the tray. Nothing should be puddled in the tray. Any and
all garnishes are prohibited
Worded differently, but I read this as I can glaze my ribs just before slicing if I choose as long as I do not add sauce once in my container.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”