A little smoker I built...

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Wreckless
Wrangler

A little smoker I built...

Postby Wreckless » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Been awhile since posting here, just thought I would share a build recently completed for the "Sons O' Beaches" cooking team. A lot of work, A lot of time, A lot of fun. 8' x 30" with extended roof, dual stack hybrid running tuning plates and sealed doors. Four door, 4 level racks with optional digi-probe grate temp probe ports in back. Take care Ya'll, be back soon.

Damon54
Cowboy

Re: A little smoker I built...

Postby Damon54 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 pm

I really like that!!
Looks like some really nice craftsmanship.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 am

Nice back yard rig :P :joker: I like that design alot!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Faston
Pilgrim

Postby Faston » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Holy Cow,
It's a perfect size to fit all humans!
intʹlbeefharvester USER_AVATAR
Int'lBeefHarvester
Pilgrim

Postby Int'lBeefHarvester » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey there. I have a quick question. For your food racks, did you use angle or square? And is that 1"?
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am

Fantastic looking rig!
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Damon54, BluDawg, Faston, Scott P, thanks for the kudos guys! As mentioned, quite a bit of work but moreso...quite a bit of fun and the kudos add to the fun. A bit late on a response, seems I have turned into one of those Facebook goobs for the most part and don't get out much after that. :roll: Good to see ya'll still around. :D
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Int'lBeefHarvester wrote:Hey there. I have a quick question. For your food racks, did you use angle or square? And is that 1"?

IBF...the racks are 1" x 1/8" thk angle, cope cut with the cope cut weld off to the sides. I weld the cope cut first, test fit, finish out the weld and grind smooth for seamless appearance. Add my 3/4" #9 ex metal, tacking EVERY tab and finish with an inside corner weld. may be a bit overkill for some but they come out as stout as can be, have a pic somewhere of my 180lb kiddo taking a break sitting on one fully extended. The cope cut is crucial on the off chance you are not familiar with it. A trick I learned from an old master fabricator. it stops 3 axis of twist / square and strong as heck, as mentioned. Perhaps more than you wanted to know but figured I would post the whole set up while I was here and also 'cause they work...well. 8)
Int'lBeefHarvester
Pilgrim

Postby Int'lBeefHarvester » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Lol Thanks Mr. Wreckless. That isn't too much information, it's just the right amount. I have another one for you. Is there any real benefit to using stainless for the food racks?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Wreckless wrote: A trick I learned from an old master fabricator. it stops 3 axis of twist / square and strong as heck, as mentioned.

I know you think it is best to sometimes ignore k.a.m. but I am glad you at least listened to Yoda on that one Mike. :wink: :P :lol:

Int'lBeefHarvester wrote:Lol Thanks Mr. Wreckless. That isn't too much information, it's just the right amount. I have another one for you. Is there any real benefit to using stainless for the food racks?

In my opinion no advantage at all Int'lBeefHarvester, unless your health department reqires it for catering or vending, most do not require it. a 4' x 8' sheet of #9 x 3/4" flat SS expanded metal is 290.00 while regular steel is around 45.00.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Wreckless wrote: A trick I learned from an old master fabricator. it stops 3 axis of twist / square and strong as heck, as mentioned.

I know you think it is best to sometimes ignore k.a.m. but I am glad you at least listened to Yoda on that one Mike. :wink: :P :lol:

Oh, I listen to Yoda, it's that k.a.m. fella I have to question sometimes. :)

Int'lBeefHarvester wrote:Lol Thanks Mr. Wreckless. That isn't too much information, it's just the right amount. I have another one for you. Is there any real benefit to using stainless for the food racks?

In my opinion no advantage at all Int'lBeefHarvester, unless your health department reqires it for catering or vending, most do not require it. a 4' x 8' sheet of #9 x 3/4" flat SS expanded metal is 290.00 while regular steel is around 45.00.
I hope this helps. :D[/quote]
+1 Just like that IBH. $$$ And...once seasoned, you wouldn't be able to notice what was under all that good seasoning except for looking at your bank balance afterward anyway. 8)
Int'lBeefHarvester
Pilgrim

Postby Int'lBeefHarvester » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Good deal. Thanks for the info guys.
rvlotz
Pilgrim

Postby rvlotz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Wreckless wrote:Been awhile since posting here, just thought I would share a build recently completed for the "Sons O' Beaches" cooking team. A lot of work, A lot of time, A lot of fun. 8' x 30" with extended roof, dual stack hybrid running tuning plates and sealed doors. Four door, 4 level racks with optional digi-probe grate temp probe ports in back. Take care Ya'll, be back soon.

Hi this is Roy, my friend got his smoker from you. I would like to know if you still make smokers? I would like to talk with you about it.
rvlotz
Pilgrim

Postby rvlotz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 pm

rvlotz wrote:
Wreckless wrote:Been awhile since posting here, just thought I would share a build recently completed for the "Sons O' Beaches" cooking team. A lot of work, A lot of time, A lot of fun. 8' x 30" with extended roof, dual stack hybrid running tuning plates and sealed doors. Four door, 4 level racks with optional digi-probe grate temp probe ports in back. Take care Ya'll, be back soon.

Hi this is Roy, my friend got his smoker from you. I would like to know if you still make smokers? I would like to talk with you about it.

Wreckless, I would like to talk to you about your smokers. I need
A new smoker. My friend suggested me to talk with u about it.
rvlotz
Pilgrim

Postby rvlotz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 am

I would like to contact you, Wreckless..can you send me a message with your phone number or any contact information? I would like to talk with you and see if you can make me a smoker pit. Let me know if it is possible? Thanks.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”