Comp Chicken Poll

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Whats your method on comp chicken?

Brine
39%
Inject
18%
Marinate
3%
Combination of the above
39%

Total votes: 33
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Comp Chicken Poll

Postby Speed » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm

I know there was a thread not long ago on chicken injections. I thought I would start a poll on chicken injection/brining/marinating/combination. What do you do?
If you brine, are you using non-brined birds from the store? Most birds these days are already pre-brined from the packer to retain liquid (charge by the pound so it weighs more). If you use a pre-brined bird, how do you overcome that? Make a stronger brine than that used at the packer? It would seem logical that a piece of meat could only draw in X amount of fluid retention through osmosis and diffusion. I would like to hear your opinions on this.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
txmike
Pilgrim

Re: Comp Chicken Poll

Postby txmike » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

I've been buying chickens from a local meat market and they are fresh. Always tastes better. They run on the small side maybe 3 to 4 pounds max but they are far better than grocery store birds. Just have to watch out for some of the small left on feathers.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 am

txmike wrote:I've been buying chickens from a local meat market and they are fresh. Always tastes better. They run on the small side maybe 3 to 4 pounds max but they are far better than grocery store birds. Just have to watch out for some of the small left on feathers.

yep, agree with above. I believe Sanderson Farms are not injected but they have large globs of fat and are huge at 5 to 6 pounds. I prefer a 4 pound bird as it fits the turnin boxes nicely and cooks quicker.

Also need to watch for wing tips on the natural birds. Sometimes they are missing wing tips and that is no bueno in IBCA cookoffs.
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 pm

IMO, grocery store birds are fine as long as they have the tips and no cuts or tears in the skin. The solution they are packed in is weak. I rinse and trim my birds before going in my brine and then rinse again afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 am

I avoid Tyson and Pilgrims Pride birds, never had much luck with either. I buy the Sanderson Farms birds from HEB, in the 5.25 weight range. Brine for 12 hours, inject the brine about 2 hours before they hit the smoker on Saturday morning.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm

I like the HEB natural birds. They are in the 3-4 lb range and not injected.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 pm

HEB now has central market air chilled all natural birds. I just have a hard time paying $18 for a whole chicken that I'm just gonna inject anyways. Was always curious if the all natural never frozen fresh birds taste better. I like 5 lbers. After the guts are removed and the liquids are out of the package, they are a true 4.5 lb bird
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”