It's been a while, but a few of the newer ones.

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sancho
Rustler

It's been a while, but a few of the newer ones.

Postby sancho » Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 pm

I did a "hill country" style smoked sausage. I didn't know what else to call it. I call it that because it's what I was thinking of when I think of Central Texas and especially west of San Antone. East of there are more beef sausages and west of the and up through Central Texas you typically find a wholly pork sausage or pork with some beef mixed. The predominant flavors seem to be coarse cracked black pepper and garlic. Here is one that turned out very good, in my opinion. It's smoked in hickory, which is not traditional to that area but I prefer the taste and the color it gives. It doesn't compete with the meat or the spices.

I've also done an andouillette, with certain liberties. I don't use any organ meat. And it is 32 mm. The Frenchy's have their version and Texas has its. I prefer ours.

I have int he smoker now traditional Andouille. It's in the larger 60mm casing and very coarse ground. Even hand chopping some of the fat and very lean pieces for a great texture. Pics of it and sliced pics tomorrow.
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Re: It's been a while, but a few of the newer ones.

Postby Grizz » Tue May 13, 2014 11:34 am

Have eaten that sausage and all I can say is WOW......have also just taken delivery of 20lbs of the same.....looking forward to grillin up some of it this weekend.....
Great stuff Sancho.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: It's been a while, but a few of the newer ones.

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Sancho, you got it looking good. Like the color. Cut me one. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”