So long ol' girl

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokenpixels
Pilgrim

So long ol' girl

Postby smokenpixels » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 am

Today was bulk trash pickup day so I pushed my old burnt out offset to the curb. Sure, I got her at Walmart and she was made of pretty thin metal. She leaked like crazy and I had to patch the fire box twice (maybe three times). But she was my first offset smoker so I was sad to see her go.

Wouldn't you know it, the trash truck hasn't come yet but she's not by the curb any more. Somebody must have come by in the last hour and picked her up.
24"x36" Lone Star offset
Brinkman Vertical Smoker
Charbroil gasser
Webber Silver
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Re: So long ol' girl

Postby bruno994 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:04 am

One mans' trash...
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am

A fitting end making someone else's family happy they should have paid you for all the seasoning it had.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:02 pm

I know how you feel. When we moved to Texas I had to give away my old Char king smoker. I felt like I was giving my dog away. I kept thinking. "At least it's going to a good home".
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:49 pm

waiting...maybe anticipating when I can get rid of the twin step-sisters (name for the stacks)

reverse flow char-broil american gourmet model 700...with welding blanket ontop

blood and sweat...guess the sentimental value and why I resent the ever living crap out of this thing...

I'll have to dump mine at the city dump on a Tuesday after work...or rip the firebox off and move the fire inside
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
dummy que
Pilgrim

Postby dummy que » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:47 pm

i went trough 4 or 5 chargriller horz. before i bought my lang i used them for targets don`t hide behind one
LANG 60,BUD,AND A WHOLE PILE OF WORNOUT CHARGRILLER HORZ life is good sharp knifes,fire,and meat .
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Top of the line equipment is nice and flashy and I cant say that I dont endulge myself in upgrades or mod's from time to time ... but that being said if a man can cook, he can do it on a trash can just as well as a jambo or any other big name cooker you wanna throw out... The good news is it sounds like you got your $$ worth out of her.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

jtilk wrote:Top of the line equipment is nice and flashy and I cant say that I dont endulge myself in upgrades or mod's from time to time ... but that being said if a man can cook, he can do it on a trash can just as well as a jambo or any other big name cooker you wanna throw out... The good news is it sounds like you got your $$ worth out of her.

I got a PBC that is smokin' awesome....

when it warms up, the COS may have to get fired up again if extra grill space is needed...
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 am

When I read this I had to stand up, remove my hat, and put my hand over my heart. Might have even shed a tear for you. I too remember retiring my old burnt out, wired together, leaky, rusty, Brinkman offset smoker.......over it's life it turned out some mighty fine smoked meat!
Yes Dear!
goin camping
Pilgrim

Postby goin camping » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Best type of recycling there is. And someone somewhere is grateful for it.
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:41 am

Think of it this way. Some guy and his family are pretty happy right now. They may end up like so many of us... Qaddicts.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”