Colleyville or Terrell this weekend?

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

axeman USER_AVATAR
Axeman
Pilgrim

Colleyville or Terrell this weekend?

Postby Axeman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm not new to smoking, but haven't spent any time at the competitions. Planning to take the wife to visit one of the comps local to DFW this weekend just to checkout the scene, equipment, teams, etc. Looking at Colleyville Old Tyme Cookoff or Terrell Jubilee. Any opinions on which might be the most interesting/fun for a first timer to checkout?
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Colleyville or Terrell this weekend?

Postby limey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm

Depends on where you live, Colleyville will have a free fish fry ( donations)Friday Evening and a VIP area, Saturday there might be some openings to judge if you show up early enough. Should be the same amount of cookers at both of them.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Even though Terrell is really close to me, I wanted to make Colleyville but I'm starting the mad dash to finish my rig this weekend. Gotta be ready to go for the Sabine Shootout in Edgewood May 9-10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
axeman USER_AVATAR
Axeman
Pilgrim

Postby Axeman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks Limey. That's what I needed to know. Colleyville is only 30 minutes away, so I think we'll be headed that way.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I 'm cooking under a UT quick shade with a maroon R&O,look me up and I "ll help you out.
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 am

Big Country BBQ will be headin for Colleyville in bout 30 minutes! :D :D

Drop by and sit a spell. :D

Limey, I'm bringin yer rub and I will have some extra if others want to try our "Simply Unique" or "Bovine Dust" rubs! :D
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

limey wrote:I 'm cooking under a UT quick shade with a maroon R&O,look me up and I "ll help you out.

UT & Maroon in the same camp???

I think that's a felony offense in Texas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

BigDave wrote:Big Country BBQ will be headin for Colleyville in bout 30 minutes! :D :D

Drop by and sit a spell. :D

Limey, I'm bringin yer rub and I will have some extra if others want to try our "Simply Unique" or "Bovine Dust" rubs! :D

I can attest ... these are worth giving a shot. good stuff Big Dave. :salut:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks Josh for the compliment.

Well we only mustered up a 12th place brisket at Colleyville out of 40 teams. But there were quite a few other walks that we were proud to see as they were using our rubs. :cheers: :cheers:

We did manage a 5th beans and Rod who has become a suedo team member and enters his own beans took a second place. We wuz mighty happy for him!

Colleyville is always a fantastic cookoff. Kevin puts on a first class event. Plenty of room for set-up, Kids cookoff and the kids get to keep the new little weber kettle that is provided, great food available, bounce houses and other stuff for the kids. Two Beautiful ponds with some bass in em so bring yer fishing gear too. Live band Friday but shuts down at quiet time. VIP area for a small fee that gives you access to all the fine food and liquid refreshments for a great Friday evening. Easy access for RV's. Market Street within walkin distance for anything you fergitted to bring or run out of! :D :D

And it is one of if not the largest fund raiser for Special Olympics! It's for the kids!!!

If you have never been to Colleyville cookoff, you owe it to yerself to put this one on the calendar for next year! Heck even if you don't cook, the Friday evening stuff if worth a visit! :cheers: :cheers:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 am

A great cookoff, it was like a TBBQF get together. Bet there was over 10 members cooking and had some great fellowship. Cooked alongside Randy- All_Grilla_NO_Filla ( Heck of a nice guy ) and finally met up with Blake (Texas Pyro )- Congrats on RGC. and met up with Richard (Sons of Smoke) who cooked up 2nd place ribs. There were a lot of walks among us along the back row and we had a great time.Hats off to the city of Colleville for taking care of the cookers. I have never been to a cookoff where the mayor is on a Gator collecting the cookers trash. Big shout out to Big Country rubs and Sucklebusters on the fine rubs and sauces as well. Both helped many cookers make walks this weekend. On the schedule for next year.
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:07 am

limey wrote:A great cookoff, it was like a TBBQF get together. Bet there was over 10 members cooking and had some great fellowship. Cooked alongside Randy- All_Grilla_NO_Filla ( Heck of a nice guy ) and finally met up with Blake (Texas Pyro )- Congrats on RGC.

Thanks chuck, it was nice to finally meet you! What an awesome cookoff, it really was a TBBQF get together, got to meet some more faces behind the screen names. Met Randy (All_Grilla_NO_Filla), super nice guy, for anyone looking to buy insurance, I'd give him a shout, I certainly will. Finally met Woody, Big Dave, and Ty, good to see and hang out with Big Ed, Jeff, Tim, and everyone else. It was a really fun atmosphere, Friday night was quite the party over in the VIP area, I cant tell if Tim is crazy or far smarter than us for setting up over there, the scenery was quite nice :wink: The cookoff like most was a charity event, HUGE props to Tim and crew for raising something like $40,000!!!!

Like Chuck said, I had a great weekend, 1st Ribs, 2nd Brisket, 11th chicken, was enough to Reserve.

Shout out to Sucklebusters, gotta love some Hog Waller, I know my Ribs did...

Great to see everyone, hope to see many of yall at Possum Kingdom next weekend.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 pm

TexasPyro wrote:
limey wrote:A great cookoff, it was like a TBBQF get together. Bet there was over 10 members cooking and had some great fellowship. Cooked alongside Randy- All_Grilla_NO_Filla ( Heck of a nice guy ) and finally met up with Blake (Texas Pyro )- Congrats on RGC.

Thanks chuck, it was nice to finally meet you! What an awesome cookoff, it really was a TBBQF get together, got to meet some more faces behind the screen names. Met Randy (All_Grilla_NO_Filla), super nice guy, for anyone looking to buy insurance, I'd give him a shout, I certainly will. Finally met Woody, Big Dave, and Ty, good to see and hang out with Big Ed, Jeff, Tim, and everyone else. It was a really fun atmosphere, Friday night was quite the party over in the VIP area, I cant tell if Tim is crazy or far smarter than us for setting up over there, the scenery was quite nice :wink: The cookoff like most was a charity event, HUGE props to Tim and crew for raising something like $40,000!!!!

Like Chuck said, I had a great weekend, 1st Ribs, 2nd Brisket, 11th chicken, was enough to Reserve.

Awesome job, congrats!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 pm

TexasPyro wrote:

Guys, thanks so much again to all four of you (and others, but special thanks to Ed, Blake, Jeff and Chuck) for the outstanding camaraderie and the opportunity to cook alongside such kind gentlemen. My wife (she came to spend the day with me and help with turn-ins on Saturday) thought incredibly highly of all of you, and we agreed that in three years and several comps we've never had a better time or enjoyed the company of fellow cooks more. In fact, she went so far as to tell me she won't give me any **** anymore for hangin' out on the forum...lol. Many thanks to you all for being such gentlemen to her as well. We had an outstanding time, and hope to see you all at another comp (or anywhere else) soon. Big congrats to you guys for your walks. Chuck/Blake, thanks so much for the kind words, the pleasure was entirely mine. Blake, way to go on the RGC!

For those who may have been considering Colleyville, this was one of the nicer cooks we've attended. Well run, lots of room, pretty locale, walking distance to Market Street, and like Chuck said, these guys were working to hard to accommodate the competitors and make sure it was a noteworthy comp. I definitely think they succeeded, and we can't wait to do it again next year.
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 am

We had a great time this weekend at Colleyville, we helped in the VIP area and cooked up 80lbs of wings, 30lbs of bologna and 8 standing racks of lamb for the party. And managed to get through Saturday with only 30 minutes of sleep on Friday. whew, too old for that.
We ended up with 5th Place Brisket and shut out on everything else.
Congrats to Blake on his RGC!! Great job. See you guys at Boob-b-que!
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”