Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Pastrami

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:15 pm

There is a town party next Friday night. 4 Folks turning the big 40. I'm thinking of doing a Pastrami. I've done the old use a corn beef and soak for days and then re-season thing but there must be a better way. Any Ideas?

I have, or can get, all the spices.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:20 pm

I've used this method and loved the results...

http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm

James.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:22 pm

JamesB method looks good but here is some more info:
There is a lot of differences in the spicing of pastrami I rely heavily on coriander and pepper both black and white. Some knowledgeable folks insist that pickling spice must be used. BW uses cloves, allspice and ginger so I guess this is one to use your own judgment. I do highly recommend injecting the curing brine to insure complete coverage.
Also time will be of essence because it does take several days to cure.

Here is Bigwheels
Bigwheel's Grand Prize Winning Corned Beef (Pastrami)

2 big severely trimmed packer briskets
2 gallons Foat Wuth tap water
2 cups pickling salt
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Mortons's Tender Quick
1/2 cup Amesphos *optional (if you aint got none dont worry about it)
1/2 cup dried minced onyawns
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/3 cup coarse grind black pepper
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. ground Thyme
1 liberal sprinkle ground Allspice
1 chintzy sprinkle ground Cloves
4 or 5 or 6 of Joe Ames good tasting bay leaves

Mix up the brine and get it ice cold. Strain a few quarts of the the brine and shoot them briskets up to the gills..then dunk em in the brine for 4 days in the ice box giving them a shake and roll once a day. (I use doubled non-scented Glad trash bags for doing my brining but however you brine feel free to do it your way). Drag em out and rub down good with coarse grind black peppa and ground corriander. Cook em on the pit at somewhere around 250 till the internal temp hits about 180 and dont seem to want to go no higher. Slice em thin and against thegrain and pile it high on your Reuben. Will make you want to slap somebody's
Mama.

bigwheel
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:30 pm

I've got BWs recipe (and a lot of others from him) in the recipe folder. Just ain't had a chance to give it a go... Might just have to do that here soonish.

Can't say that BWs ever posted a recipe for sumthing I didn't like... I've been saving all of his and BigDave's sausage recipes... Now I gotta see if Santa brings me that grinder and stuffer I've been hinting about... I mean, I've been good almost all year, so I should be deserving right?

James
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:56 pm

I guess James we should be neighbors I have the meat grinder and sausage stuffer and have never used them. I will one of these days I've only had them a year..
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 pm

BW has good recipes, his Hot Links are the best. Papa T is right, time is of the essence and I don't think I can pull this off time wise. Thinking ribs right now.

JamesB, I will try your method in the future. I'm not big on injections, might have to buy an injector device. :oops:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm

You could do the corned beef to pastrami trick. Not as satisfying but it works.
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:JamesB, I will try your method in the future. I'm not big on injections, might have to buy an injector device. :oops:

D - You can always do the dry cure method for corning beef. No need for injectors at all.

dub(that'd be REALLY old school)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:44 am

DATsBBQ wrote:JamesB, I will try your method in the future. I'm not big on injections, might have to buy an injector device. :oops:

Just to clarify... That ain't my method... just one of many that I have tried and really liked... and one that I could point to via a web link...

Next time I get the hanker'n for pastrami, I'm gonna try BW's!

BTW: Get your self an injector or two... Make's for a lot of fun and good eats for numerous things... Esp. Fried turks!

James.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:48 am

Papa Tom wrote:I guess James we should be neighbors I have the meat grinder and sausage stuffer and have never used them. I will one of these days I've only had them a year..

Well, now where is Peters Colony? Is that just north of Big D? Maybe we could hogtie Bigwheel and truck him up there one weekend and have him give an impromptu sausage making class... I'll even supply the Ezra...

James.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:44 am

JamesB wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:I guess James we should be neighbors I have the meat grinder and sausage stuffer and have never used them. I will one of these days I've only had them a year..

Well, now where is Peters Colony? Is that just north of Big D? Maybe we could hogtie Bigwheel and truck him up there one weekend and have him give an impromptu sausage making class... I'll even supply the Ezra...

James.

Cool great ingredient...... :D
Yeah I actually live in Oak Point but nobody seems to know where that is either..
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Ahhh man the warden is watching me like a hawk on that Ezra. She got her mind made up it aint healthy for a person to swig around on that stuff. We need a good doctor in the crowd who will testify to the contrary:)

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 pm

But if yer taken against yer will to an undisclosed location and coerced into giving an impromptu sausage making class and forced to imbibe a little...

We could blame it all on Papa Tom since nobody knows where he lives! :)
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 am

bigwheel wrote:Ahhh man the warden is watching me like a hawk on that Ezra. She got her mind made up it aint healthy for a person to swig around on that stuff. We need a good doctor in the crowd who will testify to the contrary:)

I play a doctor on TV!
It is in my most verifiable and honorable certified professional opinion as a medicine man that Ezra Brooks 12 Year is just the thing to cure your fantods,dropsy,vapors,heebie-jeebies,conniptions and shakin'-at-the-navel.
It's inexpensive,effective and there's no co-pay!
hex USER_AVATAR
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:44 am

So what's the connection to Ezra Brooks and que-yakers ?
I mean Jack Daniels sponsors the big que-off.
Jim Beam probably loved to smoke mutton.
And shoot, Rebel Yell seems more appropo to Texans anyhow.

I was partial to Old Smuggler & Cutty myself before leavin it all behind for Jax, Pabst, Falstaff, Pabst, Lone Star, and finally Pearl.

Sorta seems that folk that like all things smoked would prefer spirits with a bit smokier flavor too.

If I recall correctly the first half-pint of "bourbon"whisky I ever illegally bought & snuck into a dancehall was somthin called Old Crab Orchard.
:texas: ~~HeX~~ :texas:

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”