Chicharon prensado?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Purpahurl
Pilgrim

Chicharon prensado?

Postby Purpahurl » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:13 am

Has anyone here had it? It is cured pork skin product that resembles a coarsely chopped pressed ham. One of my employees brought some quesadillas made with it that werebdelicious. A few of the Mexican grocery stores around here sell it. If y'all are looking for something different, give it a try.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Chicharon prensado?

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Hmmmm never tried it (or heard of it) but I'll have to check it out....
tarde venientibus ossa....
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Still need to go make my intro post, been lurking to get caught up on the site... But had to chime in here. :lurk:

Basically, thicker fried pork skins with some meat, but pressed right out of the fryer before they can harden up, and for the lard.

I have had it from a few places, but all in Mexico so far. The best was a big meat market in Monterrey when we were visiting my brother-in-law. Picked them up hot and fresh and SO tender, just a bit of salt and eat them right out of the bag! (we ate the whole kilo riding back to Reynosa). They are now a mandatory room-and-board payment when the BIL visits! :twisted:

Then from a couple of places around Reynosa, visiting the rest of the in-laws, but they were cooked hard. Had to cook in some salsa to get them soft enough to eat, but made great tacos.

I need to order the fixins from the local Michoacana store and make my own. But I have to wait right now, just filled the (tiny) freezer compartment with homemade bacon (Canadian and buckboard), pastrami, and smoked cheese. :D

Mike "Dodis"
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Our local Mexican store has them but not pressed. Theres are pretty dry. Guess I haven't been there when they are fresh cooked. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Slow reply...

Most local mercados will have regular dry chicharones. The chicharon prensado is the skin with both fat and some meat, fried till well done, then pressed as soon as they pull it from the fryer. Then it will still have some softness to it (unless very well done).

Some of our local markets will have chicharones de carne, which is a thicker slice with skin, meat and fat. It is cooked until the meat is done and the fat mostly rendered. It is just not pressed once out of the fryer, and is a bit bigger than ones for prensado. Good as is with a bit of salt (and a cold beer), or diced up, simmered in salsa, then into tacos, queso fundido, or scrambled eggs. :chef:

...This is killing me sitting here at work and thinking of this!! :twisted:

Mike "Dodis"

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”