New and curious

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

WesttxQ
Pilgrim

New and curious

Postby WesttxQ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am

Hello, I'm new to posting here but I've browsed around a few months ago when I was getting ready to build my 24"x60" offest with tuning plates and separate slide out steak grill to have it ready for for this season. Unfortunately, my body had other ideas and it'll be another year before I can begin. While I have plenty of patience when the fire is making meat turn into candy, I'll go insane waiting a year for a new pit. Fortunately, my wife knows this and is a real sweetheart suggested that I sell my iron and my current pit and just buy what I want or have one built. (Before you ask, no...I don't deserve this wonderful woman!). I've got a few questions and was hoping that I might get a little feedback on here. I've been cooking with my 24x48" stick burner, no insulation, no plates. It turns out great meat, but it's not "the one". I've also built a 30"x12' with 30x30" insulated firebox and tuning plates that turned out great meat but was waaay bigger than what I needed at the time.

I recently helped a friend cook a pile of briskets on his custom RF with a water pan and I have to say that I was impressed with [i]almost[/i] every aspect of it. The box was insulated and held heat well and the temp variance from end to end never exceeded 15 degrees. In fact, most of the time it was less than ten. It's added some confusion and consternation to the decision making process for sure. After selling the materials I had gathered for my new build and selling my old trailer I've got a budget of about $4500.00 and I'd like to stay as close to that as possible. I'm looking for a 26-30" x 60-72" chamber, insulated box.

I guess my biggest question on the RF versus the traditional is the ability to control and change temps for cooking different cuts at the same time. With the RF is is possible to have an area hotter to cook, say chicken while the rest of the pit remains in lower for brisket or butts?

I've researched what I can on the Web and have a decent idea of whats out there. While I would love a Jambo or Klose they seem to be a little more expensive than what I can afford - they, along with a few others seem have name built into the name. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on performance and customer service, good or bad, about any of them. If your wife said you had $4,500 to spend on a pit with no strings attached (i.e. you don't have to go shoe shopping with her or some other non sense), what would you buy and who would you buy it from?
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Re: New and curious

Postby CypertJ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 pm

In that price range I would look at Lone Star Grillz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:59 pm

With that budget I'd by her 2 pairs of shoes and order this http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=72718447
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:21 pm

WesttxQ wrote:
I guess my biggest question on the RF versus the traditional is the ability to control and change temps for cooking different cuts at the same time. With the RF is is possible to have an area hotter to cook, say chicken while the rest of the pit remains in lower for brisket or butts?

My old RF pit (made by East Texas Smoker Co.) had two reverse plates, which overlapped in the middle to create one long plate. You could intentionally create hotter areas by sliding the plates to create a gap where a hot spot is needed. You can also place water pans in areas that you want a little cooler. Another nice thing about dual plates is they could be removed for cleaning if necessary.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Jambo makes a junior trailer now for $3500 or the backyard for $2500. R&O could probably make you something very similar to a Jambo or a Pitmaker for a much shorter wait time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Try helotes pits, don't know anyone who has one, but I pass their shop a few times a week and it's seems like they have a good thing going.
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 pm

CypertJ wrote:In that price range I would look at Lone Star Grillz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

you get A LOT of pit from them dudes...... 8)
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
texas bbq syndicate USER_AVATAR
Texas BBQ Syndicate
Wrangler

Postby Texas BBQ Syndicate » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm

For that range I would get the Pitmaker Magnum Sniper with the tuning plate. And it can be configured in a reverse flow if you ask.
Pitmaker Safe
Pitmaker Grillmiester
Pitmaker Long Sniper
Hasty Bake Legacy
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Check out Shirley Fabrication.

They turn out an outstanding pit and their quality is top notch.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Unless you just have to have it new I would keep an eye on Craigslist you can find some good stuff on there for not bad prices. Especially what you are talking about.

There are some Yoders in the DFW area right now.
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”