Need help with Wagyu

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Need help with Wagyu

Postby NPayne1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Hey y'all, I just ordered 2 14-17lb wagyu briskets from snake river. I've heard that wagyu cooks much faster than others and therefore it needs to be cooked differently. I do pretty well with my choice briskets but swings as this brisket cost me $100, I don't want to screw up. I get one practice cook with the wagyu, the 2nd will be for a comp. if it does good then I will begin to use these for the larger cooks with the big pay days. Any help is appreciated. I cook on an offset stick burner that's fed pecan. I'm a L&S cooker but am open for H&F if need be. My understanding is 250 for 6-8 hrs should be plenty. That cuts my normal cook time in half.
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Need help with Wagyu

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I have not been on the forum in quite some time but thought I would chime in on this post. I have cooked a good number of Wagyu briskets (H&F and L&S) in comps and at home thus the reasoning for my comments.
(1) Be your cooking method H&F or L&S there will not be that much time difference in that compared to cooking a prime or choice brisket. Just less room for error; they can easily be overcooked.
(2) Wagyu in my opinion are to rich to do well consistently in Texas comps. Locals get use to what they eat on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong; a WOW factor wiil get you more checks but Wagyu is more of a KABOOM in regards to what folks are use to consuming.
(3) When it's all said and done a good ole prime or choice will beat that $100.00 Wagyu in Texas comps more times than not.

Can a Wagyu win? Dang right it can. When I was comp cooking on a regular basis I had one Wag left in my freezer which I gave to my oldest son who in turn kicked my rear with it the following weekend.
BAR "G"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Not to change the Subject, Howdy G nice of you to stop by do me a favor make it a habit.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:46 pm

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:I have not been on the forum in quite some time but thought I would chime in on this post. I have cooked a good number of Wagyu briskets (H&F and L&S) in comps and at home thus the reasoning for my comments.
(1) Be your cooking method H&F or L&S there will not be that much time difference in that compared to cooking a prime or choice brisket. Just less room for error; they can easily be overcooked.
(2) Wagyu in my opinion are to rich to do well consistently in Texas comps. Locals get use to what they eat on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong; a WOW factor wiil get you more checks but Wagyu is more of a KABOOM in regards to what folks are use to consuming.
(3) When it's all said and done a good ole prime or choice will beat that $100.00 Wagyu in Texas comps more times than not.

Can a Wagyu win? Dang right it can. When I was comp cooking on a regular basis I had one Wag left in my freezer which I gave to my oldest son who in turn kicked my rear with it the following weekend.

TRUE STORY. I've cooked wagyu briskets a time or 2 myself at comps and the only difference Ive seem to have noticed is the window for "perfection" seems to be a little more narrow. Considering I havent had alot of success with brisket at comps until here recently I cant really say I did any worse with wagyu personally, but I have heard from talking aroundwith other cooks that it doesnt do that well at Tx comps... atleast not for the $$ anyways.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks guys. Yea, I just wanted to give them a try. They should be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll get to cook one this wknd.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 pm

NPayne1 wrote:Thanks guys. Yea, I just wanted to give them a try. They should be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll get to cook one this wknd.

Well, regardless, you're sure to turn out some great 'cue and I bet they'll be a hit! I wouldn't get too caught up in it, it is a little different, but the reality is...it's brisket. For me I just cook Wagyu at a bit higher temp (260ish) and pull about 5 degrees earlier. I go by feel, but it just seems to be about 5-8 degrees cooler (ok, less hot) on the average than my other briskets, which is around 197ish. Just remember, as soon as it's jiggly, it's done. Don't let it sit and render until it falls apart. With Wagyu there is no need.

Best of luck, and above all, have fun cooking something new and interesting! :hook:
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 pm

I never cooked Wagyu but I imagine it would cook a little faster than a choice brisket would. I say that because I cooked a really nice prime brisket last weekend. After trimming it was about 12 lbs and it probed like butta in 9 hours.. a little faster than I expected. This was at 250* and no foil. I normally cook at 275* but I used some water in my WSM for the 1st time and didn't want the water to boil out too fast. I attribute the faster cook time to the marbling this brisket had. Came out great.

Do you plan on injecting these briskets? I wonder if the standard beef injections would tame that richness or bring it out even more?
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:02 pm

js-tx wrote:I never cooked Wagyu but I imagine it would cook a little faster than a choice brisket would. I say that because I cooked a really nice prime brisket last weekend. After trimming it was about 12 lbs and it probed like butta in 9 hours.. a little faster than I expected. This was at 250* and no foil. I normally cook at 275* but I used some water in my WSM for the 1st time and didn't want the water to boil out too fast. I attribute the faster cook time to the marbling this brisket had. Came out great.

Do you plan on injecting these briskets? I wonder if the standard beef injections would tame that richness or bring it out even more?

Ive only cooked one and couldnt imagine injecting or even wrapping...i made that mistake and it wasnt great. i have one im cooking for the family next week. no injection or wrapping

Sent from my GT-P7510
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I just started cooking heartbrand beef briskets. I think they are worth the extra money. I pick them up from the supplier and pay $5/lb. At that price I will keep with them. If I had to pay retail I would not bother. When you are competing why not spend the extra few bucks to try to win?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 am

I was paying $5/ lb for prime myself ... recently started paying $2.49- $2.69/lb and have seen no noticable difference in quality or performance. I've even had some success with choice... To each his own but I'm not making a big to do over quality unless it's just totall pee poor.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”