wild hog breakfast sausage.

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sancho
Rustler

wild hog breakfast sausage.

Postby sancho » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

We did both a regular and spicy version today. 50 pounds total. The LEM 25 pound meat mixer made it a breeze on the attached to the grinder head. Also, the 15 pound stuffer made bagging it so so so much easier and cleaner. Good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: wild hog breakfast sausage.

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Sancho, you got it going on. looking like a winner to me. Did you get any help with the hog? Wish I could of been there to help out. How do you attach the mixer to the grinder? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:23 pm

I appreciate that, CF. Yeah, Purpahurl came over and we knocked it out. I broke all the meat down earlier, but between me and him we seasoned and mixed and stuffed and sealed 1 pound packs of 2 batches of 25 pounds and cleaned the whole place up in probably 50 minutes. We've got it down! The 15 pound LEM mixer attaches right to the number 12 LEM grinder. You just remove the grinding head and it slips right on. I operate it with a foot control, so that allows for a couple of minutes interval while it's mixing for cocktail hour :laughing7: . A meat mixer really is worth the investment. Not only does it mix a better product, with proper texture and a more even spice distribution, it's just more sanitary. I have an aversion to raw meat, as it turns out. I never knew it until I started making a whole lot of sausage. I always mixed by hand in meat lugs and I constantly had infections around my cuticles and any scrape I had. They would always get infected. Even when you try to use gloves, it didn't matter. The meat mixer has mitigated most of that.
Purpahurl
Pilgrim

Postby Purpahurl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm

sancho wrote:I appreciate that, CF. Yeah, Purpahurl came over and we knocked it out. I broke all the meat down earlier, but between me and him we seasoned and mixed and stuffed and sealed 1 pound packs of 2 batches of 25 pounds and cleaned the whole place up in probably 50 minutes. We've got it down! The 15 pound LEM mixer attaches right to the number 12 LEM grinder. You just remove the grinding head and it slips right on. I operate it with a foot control, so that allows for a couple of minutes interval while it's mixing for cocktail hour :laughing7: . A meat mixer really is worth the investment. Not only does it mix a better product, with proper texture and a more even spice distribution, it's just more sanitary. I have an aversion to raw meat, as it turns out. I never knew it until I started making a whole lot of sausage. I always mixed by hand in meat lugs and I constantly had infections around my cuticles and any scrape I had. They would always get infected. Even when you try to use gloves, it didn't matter. The meat mixer has mitigated most of that.

It did go quick today. That powered mixer makes one of my least favorite sausage tasks a real breeze. Mixing by hand never bothered me as far as cuts and such are concerned I guess I have the Neanderthal gene. That wild hog meat was pretty and had a fair amount of fat to it. I was a bit surprised.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:01 am

Very nice, sancho. I made 22# of 50/50 Venison/Pork Butt breakfast sausage last Sunday. My bride made up a batch of sausage, biscuits and gravy this weekend from it and it was sinful. :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info on the mixer. I have a mixer now to get it hooked up to my grinder. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I'll order 5 lbs of spicy and 5 lbs of reg please!
(Insert witty signature here)
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Toby, my wife did the same thing. I tell ya, she's got those biscuits down now. She's a yankee from Minne-cold-a, but she can make some biscuits. She'll ruin bacon every time, but I've still got another 40 or 50 years with her, so I suppose the rest will come... Dragon, come and get it! CF, the best part of that mixer is having a good buddy around for cocktail hour.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”