First Sausage Attempt

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Cowtown
Pilgrim

First Sausage Attempt

Postby Cowtown » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks to all the info on here and some poking around on the internets I decided to give sausage making a go. Found what I deemed a good Texas Hill Country style recipe that included black pepper, cayenne, salt, sage, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper (plus cure). Decided to make half of the links jalapeno just for kicks. Went with 2-1 beef to pork. Just got done stuffing and all went pretty smooth had one blow out while twisting links last one on the strand to kinda peaved me off. They are hanging up to dry now and will go on the smoker tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics when they are done.

If I missed anything do let me know.
jerodpb
Bandolero

Re: First Sausage Attempt

Postby jerodpb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:22 pm

I did my first yesterday...just one length of casing and then the rest breakfast patties...

Other than keeping everything cold, seemed too easy......

Going to do a little on the smoker Monday and then 2 deer worth of sausage last week of Feb. Other 2 deer dad is taking back home.....

Couple things I know now:

1. I want EVERYTHING to a fine grind
2. I'm getting a gram scale and weighing all spices and water and cure....my dial scale is fine for the meat total...
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm

any pictures :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Lesson one in sausage stuffing blowouts happen......
tarde venientibus ossa....
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Lesson one in sausage stuffing blowouts happen......

Have to agree with Tom that blowouts happen. What I have found to help, but not a cure all, I'll take the sausage in my hand where I want it twisted. Between the thumb and first finger, and slowly apply pressure around it. As the sausage is pushed away, I'll twist it. Good luck.
Mark Crigler
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Once I figured this technique on linking out, I've been happy ever since. The trick to it, is less is more. Do not over-stuff. When you hang them to dry before the smoke, they'll fill the casing out. Plus, use a casing pricker and prick about every six inches or so. I've had much better quality sausage since adapting this technique. It's good for smoked or fresh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHa9vTxOsJE
Cowtown
Pilgrim

Postby Cowtown » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Well it turned out pretty well but I definitely got in a hurry and forgot to poke holes so I had some less attractive air pockets but you live and you learn.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 pm

those look good! I guess my untrained eyes don't see any air pockets... Good job!!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Cowtown
Pilgrim

Postby Cowtown » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

spacetrucker wrote:those look good! I guess my untrained eyes don't see any air pockets... Good job!!

I strategically cropped the picture to not include the air pocket spots... :wink:
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Good looking links, I'm really liking the color

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Cowtown wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:those look good! I guess my untrained eyes don't see any air pockets... Good job!!

I strategically cropped the picture to not include the air pocket spots... :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
Cowtown
Pilgrim

Postby Cowtown » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 pm

So I've been meaning to post this just kind of forgot, but when I reheated the sausages in the oven tons of fat spilled out and the result was a very grainy sausage that did not come together at all. What am I missing or what did I do wrong? Not enough fat? Stuffing with a grinder? I plan to use some nonfat dry milk powder next time in my recipe.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Cowtown wrote:So I've been meaning to post this just kind of forgot, but when I reheated the sausages in the oven tons of fat spilled out and the result was a very grainy sausage that did not come together at all. What am I missing or what did I do wrong? Not enough fat? Stuffing with a grinder? I plan to use some nonfat dry milk powder next time in my recipe.

Here's your answer: Keep the sausage below 150°F. You want to get to this temp to cook but not beyond.
Cowtown
Pilgrim

Postby Cowtown » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
Cowtown wrote:So I've been meaning to post this just kind of forgot, but when I reheated the sausages in the oven tons of fat spilled out and the result was a very grainy sausage that did not come together at all. What am I missing or what did I do wrong? Not enough fat? Stuffing with a grinder? I plan to use some nonfat dry milk powder next time in my recipe.

Here's your answer: Keep the sausage below 150°F. You want to get to this temp to cook but not beyond.

I think when I tossed it into the ice water it had just hit 154 on the thermo. Is that just too high or was it a result of reheating in the oven the next day? Thanks for your insight.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Cowtown wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:

I think when I tossed it into the ice water it had just hit 154 on the thermo. Is that just too high or was it a result of reheating in the oven the next day? Thanks for your insight.

It is no doubt caused by heating it in the oven. If it happened before the casings would have felt greasy. You will be amazed at what a difference this little rule makes.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”