Competition Brisket Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Cowtown
Pilgrim

Re: Competition Brisket Roundtable...

Postby Cowtown » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am

I really don't understand competition BBQ... :dont:
ramtuf6 USER_AVATAR
Ramtuf6
Pilgrim

Postby Ramtuf6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

Cowtown wrote:I really don't understand competition BBQ... :dont:

What's not to understand! You spend a bus load of money buying the best meats you can. Then on the weekend you do the best job preparing and cooking it. Turn it in and then some yahoo off the streets whose idea of good bbq is Bill Miller, gets to judge it. You leave disappointed but excited that you get to do the same thing the following weekend. I love it!
Good food, good friends and good times. The very best bbq, from us to you.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mama-a ... 4784823128
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 am

What's not to understand! You spend a bus load of money buying the best meats you can. Then on the weekend you do the best job preparing and cooking it. Turn it in and then some yahoo off the streets whose idea of good bbq is Bill Miller, gets to judge it. You leave disappointed but excited that you get to do the same thing the following weekend. I love it![/quote]

Yep!!! That pretty much sums it up!! :violent: :joker:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 am

Those who have never competed will never understand...all it took was once and the hook was set!
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 am

Ramtuf6 wrote:

What's not to understand! You spend a bus load of money buying the best meats you can. Then on the weekend you do the best job preparing and cooking it. Turn it in and then some yahoo off the streets whose idea of good bbq is Bill Miller, gets to judge it. You leave disappointed but excited that you get to do the same thing the following weekend. I love it!

+3
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Ramtuf6 wrote:

... and yet somehow these fiasco's, we refer to as cookoffs get us addicted. lol
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:24 pm

But to resume the topic...

I cook with pecan and oak. Primarily because that is whats in abundance down here and works well with all my meats.
If I'm doing something more along the lines of grilling, like steaks or fajitas I'll use a lil mesquite simply because it's not exposed to it near as long.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 am

Ramtuf6 wrote:

Good Lawdy Miz Clawdy!!!!! I do believe this hear response is the best answer to why we do bbq comps! :cheers: :cheers:
ramtuf6 USER_AVATAR
Ramtuf6
Pilgrim

Postby Ramtuf6 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:08 pm

BigDave wrote:
Ramtuf6 wrote:

Good Lawdy Miz Clawdy!!!!! I do believe this hear response is the best answer to why we do bbq comps! :cheers: :cheers:

ROTFF!!!
Good food, good friends and good times. The very best bbq, from us to you.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mama-a ... 4784823128
Cowtown
Pilgrim

Postby Cowtown » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

3 star redneck wrote:What's not to understand! You spend a bus load of money buying the best meats you can. Then on the weekend you do the best job preparing and cooking it. Turn it in and then some yahoo off the streets whose idea of good bbq is Bill Miller, gets to judge it. You leave disappointed but excited that you get to do the same thing the following weekend. I love it!

Yep!!! That pretty much sums it up!! :violent: :joker:[/quote]

Sorry I should have clarified because trust me I love it to I can't think of many better ways to spend a weekend so much fun. What I meant was I don't get where the judging standard comes from I guess. I mean what I like to eat vs. what wins a competition are two completely different things. That's just me and sorry for the confusion.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Are you using a sauce glaze on your brisket or just letting the au jus do it's magic? No sauce on brisket for me, just a dip in the pool and turn it in. I do open the foil in my warmer a few minutes before I start slicing to reset the bark.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:01 pm

No glaze, no sauce here... I dont ever care for the painted look with the au jus.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

I see and hear about sauced briskets (Not the slices but the outside before sliced) a lot these days. Wondered how prevalent it actually was in Texas. I figured it to be more of a kcbs thing but it looks as though it's found its way to Texas, and the teams doing it seem to place really well. I've been holding out but may start kicking the tires.
"Sic 'em Bears"
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm

When we cook briskets in the vault, it gets B&B oak lump, a chunk of semi seasoned pecan heart wood and cherry for a nice appealing smoke ring. Now in the magnum sniper I cook with pecan and post oak 1/1 ratio and get a lot better flavor now on the offset compared to the vault. It's a cleaner flavor but smokier, but not the kind you belch like some competition stick burners brisket. I have judged some before that were pretty bad. We do glaze our brisket before slicing but it's more of a savory Demi glacé.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Let me jump in. I cook Akaushi wagyu briskets that I get from a local supplier for $5/lb. I inject with a homemade brew and season with a combo of sucklebusters and other commercial seasonings. I use my UDS with an iq110 set at 350 fat side down for 2 1/2 hrs then put in foil pan for another 1 1/2 hrs. I pull off and put in an ice chest to rest for 3 to 4 hrs. I cook with kingsford comp charcoal with pecan chunks. No sauce.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”