Cookin' for the Memphis boys...

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Cookin' for the Memphis boys...

Postby bonehunts » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:14 pm

As forewarned, the boys from Memphis are taking me up on my Q skills tomorrow at 6. Because I work, I had to start the meat today. I'm doing 7 briskets and 2 butts. (I'll try and post pics later).

After following everyone's advice from earlier threads, I've now foiled the butts. They hit 165-170 so I foiled. To check internal temp, do I just probe through the foil to check it?

Since it looks like everything will be ready late tonight, how in the world should I "keep" the meat so it'll be good for tomorrow at 6?

It's crunch time and I'm listening!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Pull the foil back to test temp. If you're going to reheat them, I'd take 'em off at 190 - 193 and let rest. Open foil ever so lightly. When to room temp, reseal and refrigerate.
Stick in a slow oven (200 to 225) tomorrow at about 2 - 3 PM, take out at 5:15 and let rest till carving time. The low oven won't all the meat to get over 200, and if still sealed in foil won't dry out.

Cookie sheet underneath just in case you spring a leak. You should be good to go. 8)

Or you could let rest, slice and foodsaver bag 'em. Reheat in the bag in simmering water.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 pm

Hmmm. Interesting thought on the foodsaver option. Would that work with the briskets as well?

If I'm at 170 and my fire's at 215ish, any idea how much longer I've got on those?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 pm

No it could be a long time with briskets ya never know especially with the temp as low as 215*. It is necessary that it take the time because this is when the alchemy is working. Just let them go to 195*.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 pm

bonehunts wrote:Hmmm. Interesting thought on the foodsaver option. Would that work with the briskets as well?

If I'm at 170 and my fire's at 215ish, any idea how much longer I've got on those?

Works great, just need a big enough pot of water.

Briskets, no two cook the same. Sometimes they hit a plateau, other times they plug right along. The last two I did, one got to 195 two hours before the other. Two different cookers, but both ceramics running the same fuel at the same temp and within 4 oz of each other as weight goes. I'd guess at 4 hours but I'd check at two.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:55 pm

Are you slicing or pulling the pork butts??
Jim
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 pm

pulling the butts.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm

Since you are pulling the butts, I would take them to 195* internal, foil them and let them sit in a cooler a couple hours, then pull them and and put it in vac bags ( 2 pounds to the bag ) and put in frig. Then re heat as DATs said in the boiling water. They will pull much easier and better now than after being in the frig and then reheated. :D
Jim
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:42 am

Butts are done, pulled and put in Foodsaver bags. All but 2 briskets are done and resting in the cooler. I'm too tired to stay up any longer so I'm going to take a cat nap and check on them in a bit.

Thanks for the great advice and direction tonight. I couldn't have done it without y'all.

When I boil the bags tomorrow, will I know the meat's ready by timing it or just looking at it?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:03 am

bonehunts wrote:Butts are done, pulled and put in Foodsaver bags. All but 2 briskets are done and resting in the cooler. I'm too tired to stay up any longer so I'm going to take a cat nap and check on them in a bit.

Thanks for the great advice and direction tonight. I couldn't have done it without y'all.

When I boil the bags tomorrow, will I know the meat's ready by timing it or just looking at it?

There exists some disagreement on this method. The foodsaver DVD that came with my machine said not to "boil" but a high simmer. A 2 to 3 lb bag I'll let it simmer (190* water temp) for a good 30 to 45 minutes. Just want to heat them through and not re-cook.

When you open the bag, the aroma will knock you out, the meat will be moist. Bark suffers a little tiny bit.

PS, the font went wild on this reply but it says "normal" for size :shock:
Deputy Dave

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 pm

A bit late now, but you can also vent (punch a hole) the foodsaver bag and microwave on a reheat cycle (or power of about 60)......2 lb bag = about 3 minutes, flip and repeat the process.
all done
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:20 pm

So how did it all turn out? Pics? :?:
Deputy Dave

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Pictures???????? :lol:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Well, it was all PERFECT! Although I didn't snap pictures of progress or the final pics, I did shoot some when it was first loaded. See below.

First, the butts went on at 2:30 pm and came off at 1:00 am. They were both right around 10 pounds. By 11 pm, they were at 195 and I let them rest until 1am then pulled.

Also did 7 briskets ranging from 9-15 pounds. 5 came off at various times but most took 1-1.2 hours/pound. 2 of em took a LOT longer though. I found one spot in the rig that's a little more testy than the rest.

I used mustard on the pork with some homemade rub then used the apple cider/vinegar when I foiled.

The boys from Memphis, as well as the locals, said they hadn't tasted anything so good in their lives. Although they might have been glad-handing me a bit, I must admit that this was the best round of meat I've ever produced.

5 of the briskets were for friends and neighbors who also called and said they seriously couldn't believe how good it was.

I don't know if y'all in Dallas remember Monday as being hazy, but the air was heavy and my smoke stayed low to the ground. I had one neighbor call to make sure everything was okay and the other elderly neighbor called the fire department. 4 huge guys showed up in my alley on their truck and couldn't stop laughing when they saw what was going on. A couple of rings of sausage and the DFD went home happy!

All in all it was a great experience and I owe it all to your advice and guidance on here. Thanks for your continued help.

FYI, I'm smoking briskets and sausage for a high school tailgate next Friday night here in Dallas. I'll have the final count tomorrow but it's looking like 85 adults and 65 kids. If I'm doing both meats, do you figure 4 oz of beef and 2 oz of sausage? I'm assuming a 50% yield on the briskets, correct?

Last edited by bonehunts on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Glad every thing turned out great. The FD story....LMAO. Never had the fire department show up at one of my cooks but I did have neighbor run down the hill with a fire extinguisher back when I can a ECB and was using the car as windbreak. From his vantage point my car was on fire :lol:

I think a 50% yield on brisket is a bit conservative but it's a good planning figure. Better to have too much than too little.
Deputy Dave

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”