HnF Causes Brisket Edges to Crumble?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: HnF Causes Brisket Edges to Crumble?

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 am

JMoney7269 wrote:And how well did fast eddy (Ed maurin) do at the royal? Or anywhere in the past years for that matter? He just says that because pellet cookers can't cook a good brisket hot and fast (300-350). He suggests what works best on his pits and he is pro Pellet. I used to cook comps on a pellet pooper L&S and we started placing but never higher than top 5 two years ago. Switched to a UDS and Pitmaker BBQ vault cooking H&F and bam! In one year we had 6 GC's 4 of them sanctioned, fields from 32-121
Pellet pits are great for getting timelines and recipes down for the beginner cooker but they don't put out anywhere near the flavor. When I was a member of Pelletheads.com I caught so much flack from the comp cookers at first on there , then slowly but surely they started making UDS's and buying vertical insulated cookers and before I knew it, I was banned for influencing competition pellehead members to not buy pellet pits (mainly fast eddy/cookshack products). Since fast eddy is a manufacture and a advertiser on the site, they had to stick up and take action for their buddy. Oh well, that bunch of Californians that runs the site fell off the turnip truck a long time ago. No loss for me. Outgrew the knowledge of that site anyways.

Ahhh the rest of the story:

2013 AR Open Brisket Results

1 CLARK CREW BBQ 180.0000
2 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW 179.4400
3 Phat Jacks 178.8572
4 WILDCATTERS Q CREW 178.8572
5 T-MAC SMOKIN 177.7028
6 BURNIN BOBS BUTTS N BONES 177.1428
7 Bunch of Swines 176.5600
8 WEEKEND WARRIOR 176.5600
9 B & C SMOKERS 176.5600
10 QUAU 176.0000

46 Fast Eddy BBQ 170.8228

243 Dr. Smoke 159.9656

Fast Eddy only placed 197 spots higher than J$.....

I guess you showed ol' FE huh?
The rest of the story on Pelletheads forum is available too.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Touche' Sir... LMAO :laughing7:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm

He would have done better if he just wore some gloves!!! :laughing7:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:27 pm

I turned in just what we normally turned In Tx. A simple, good trimmed piece of meat with no burnt ends. Had to go with what got ya there. Ain't gonna conform to braised pit roast brisket that's glazed ever. Lol how many hundreds of kcbs events has fast eddy done? What about dr smoke? Big fat 0! Not worried about that little fluke of a performance, judges just didn't like what we turned in.

Yeah, gloves would have helped for sure, I just know it lol

But maybe not, I think I finished one place higher than big ed. He must have not worn gloves either :mrgreen:
Last edited by JMoney7269 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 pm

I know what you mean J$... I've never done a KCBS event but I'm doing H'ville. Figured it was worth the experience if nothing else. I'm fully ok with having my @** handed to me on a silver plater, in fact I'm going there expecting it... BUT if by chance I'm competitive I'll consider it an achievement.

... and yes I will be wearing gloves, even though it takes aways from that "extra flavoring" :wink:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
JMoney7269 wrote:And how well did fast eddy (Ed maurin) do at the royal? Or anywhere in the past years for that matter? He just says that because pellet cookers can't cook a good brisket hot and fast (300-350). He suggests what works best on his pits and he is pro Pellet. I used to cook comps on a pellet pooper L&S and we started placing but never higher than top 5 two years ago. Switched to a UDS and Pitmaker BBQ vault cooking H&F and bam! In one year we had 6 GC's 4 of them sanctioned, fields from 32-121
Pellet pits are great for getting timelines and recipes down for the beginner cooker but they don't put out anywhere near the flavor. When I was a member of Pelletheads.com I caught so much flack from the comp cookers at first on there , then slowly but surely they started making UDS's and buying vertical insulated cookers and before I knew it, I was banned for influencing competition pellehead members to not buy pellet pits (mainly fast eddy/cookshack products). Since fast eddy is a manufacture and a advertiser on the site, they had to stick up and take action for their buddy. Oh well, that bunch of Californians that runs the site fell off the turnip truck a long time ago. No loss for me. Outgrew the knowledge of that site anyways.

Ahhh the rest of the story:

2013 AR Open Brisket Results

1 CLARK CREW BBQ 180.0000
2 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW 179.4400
3 Phat Jacks 178.8572
4 WILDCATTERS Q CREW 178.8572
5 T-MAC SMOKIN 177.7028
6 BURNIN BOBS BUTTS N BONES 177.1428
7 Bunch of Swines 176.5600
8 WEEKEND WARRIOR 176.5600
9 B & C SMOKERS 176.5600
10 QUAU 176.0000

46 Fast Eddy BBQ 170.8228

243 Dr. Smoke 159.9656

Fast Eddy only placed 197 spots higher than J$.....

I guess you showed ol' FE huh?
The rest of the story on Pelletheads forum is available too.

Lol come on now! Don't be reporting LIBERAL news. Don't exclude certain parts to make one individual look bad, report the whole thing... Like:
Chicken
Dr smoke 104
Fast eddy 395

Ribs
Dr. Smoke 97
Fast eddy 430
Cool smoke 281
And tuffy stone won the invitational. Crapshoot anyone??
I didn't expect any of those shoe in judges that know what BBQ across the whole United States should taste like as of YESTERDAY. I bet 99% of the judges have never had good true Texas brisket. For that I was punished, no lie. Oh well, sticks and stones :joker:
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Lol come on now! Don't be reporting LIBERAL news. Don't exclude certain parts to make one individual look bad.

At least you are fortunate enough to be able to defend your words - FE was not shown the same respect.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:I turned in just what we normally turned In Tx. A simple, good trimmed piece of meat with no burnt ends. Had to go with what got ya there. Ain't gonna conform to braised pit roast brisket that's glazed ever. Lol how many hundreds of kcbs events has fast eddy done? What about dr smoke? Big fat 0! Not worried about that little fluke of a performance, judges just didn't like what we turned in.

But maybe not, I think I finished one place higher than big ed. He must have not worn gloves either :mrgreen:

You really needed some gloves in the Invatational!! You wasn't Dead Butt Last but not far from it cooking against the best of the best!! :wink:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

I hope no one took my post as an attack on FE. It was not meant to be. I cook HnF and had never experienced the crumbling edges on my brisket, unless I over cooked it. The way he worded his statement was that all HnF cooks had to trim the edges off their briskets to keep them from crumbling, and lowering their scores, in the box. I was curious how many HnF cooks had experienced this "crumbly edges" on a consistent basis. Sorry if the post was considered an attack.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I hope no one took my post as an attack on FE. It was not meant to be. I cook HnF and had never experienced the crumbling edges on my brisket, unless I over cooked it. The way he worded his statement was that all HnF cooks had to trim the edges off their briskets to keep them from crumbling, and lowering their scores, in the box. I was curious how many HnF cooks had experienced this "crumbly edges" on a consistent basis. Sorry if the post was considered an attack.

No SD you did no attacking you started a fine topic, sorry it went south on ya.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Big Ed wrote:He would have done better if he just wore some gloves!!! :laughing7:

AND A STICK BURNER LOL
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 am

Big Ed wrote:
JMoney7269 wrote:I turned in just what we normally turned In Tx. A simple, good trimmed piece of meat with no burnt ends. Had to go with what got ya there. Ain't gonna conform to braised pit roast brisket that's glazed ever. Lol how many hundreds of kcbs events has fast eddy done? What about dr smoke? Big fat 0! Not worried about that little fluke of a performance, judges just didn't like what we turned in.

You really needed some gloves in the Invatational!! You wasn't Dead Butt Last but not far from it cooking against the best of the best!! :wink:

I know, kinda expected that since we only turned in chopped in a pile. I don't cook pork butt brother! But it was a required category, so the jokes on whoever thought we woulda done good in pork butt in the first place. :violent:
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I hope no one took my post as an attack on FE. It was not meant to be. I cook HnF and had never experienced the crumbling edges on my brisket, unless I over cooked it. The way he worded his statement was that all HnF cooks had to trim the edges off their briskets to keep them from crumbling, and lowering their scores, in the box. I was curious how many HnF cooks had experienced this "crumbly edges" on a consistent basis. Sorry if the post was considered an attack.

I wouldnt let it be any sweat off your back SD. You started a topic for discussion and we all chimed in. I think it's clear that the crumbling edges come from being overcooked, but several things I'm sure factor into this, i.e. temp, wrapping or the lack there of, thin edges on the flat, etc... Needless to say you cant control the direction a post takes.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”