Humble myself here...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Humble myself here...

Postby limey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm

:stir:
Guess we can add the glove thing to the foil vs no foil, sauce vs no sauce , injection vs no injection, type of wood, type of rub, flip vs no flip, fat up fat down ,beans in the chili, and so on pile. I used to not wear gloves but I am a firm believer in them now at comps. My two cents. :happ:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 pm

I always wear gloves - even at home when cooking. I think that being clean and sanitary was
so important to the safety of the judges and public (which most of the comps we were involved with had Peoples Choice)
that I just automatically reach for gloves.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
buzz USER_AVATAR
buzz
Throw Down MVP

Postby buzz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

What jtilk said.....lmao what we need here is an expert on contaminated gloves.... calling on OJ Simpson! :whiteflag:
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm

No gloves must be a south Texas thing!!! :dont:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Nope, it's not that either. Wasnt gunna go there Ed but since you're twisting my arm, :wink: ... you go any further south than what I am and you're swimming in the Gulf (unless of course you follow the coastal curve) and I've worn gloves from day one of doing comps, for multiple reasons.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 pm

I could care less if you do or don't wear gloves, don't know why these guys are still cryin about this!!! :deadhorse:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 pm

buzz wrote:What jtilk said.....lmao what we need here is an expert on contaminated gloves.... calling on OJ Simpson! :whiteflag:

LMAO!!
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Wow...I had every intention of heading to a 'hello' section to introduce myself when I read this rather interesting thread.

Am I understanding correctly that there is anyone in the free world who feels that an ungloved hand is as sanitary, or even more so, than a gloved hand? Notwithstanding rules of any sort, I'm not sure anyone we've ever competed with or against (IBCA, LSBS, KCBS) ever felt it was a good idea to use bare hands if they could keep from it. Especially since water is often in limited supply at comps. A bare hand has folds and ridges, hair, fingernails to trap grime and bacteria, etc., that can't be gotten out except with a significant brushing of very warm water, good soap, etc. If I'm eating one's food, it doesn't matter that they're germ free, it would gross me out to know they handled raw meat or really any other contaminants with their bare hands, gave it a quick wash with a splash or two of cold water and some dish soap, and then put their nasty paws all over something that I was being served. At least with gloves they aren't porous and when they're washed, more particulates may be removed than off the bare hand.

It just seems like such an easy practice to wear gloves, anytime. I do this both at home and in competition, and I also have a rigorous cleanliness regimen that my team abides by without exception. They're inexpensive and easy to get and keep on hand. I did this long before the TV shows, because it just seems like good sense, not to mention it's incredibly easy to change them, wash them, sterilize them, etc. I don't have to have someone standing over me with a ruler waiting to rap my knuckles and pointing to a rule in a book for a sanitation violation to understand it as being a good idea. I understand that I can't control everything that goes on in restaurants, etc., but I can absolutely control how I serve my guests, judges, the public, etc. My team understands it as absolutely imperative that cleanliness and sanitation are more important than anything else, period, because I'd be mortified if something we served caused someone to get sick or even have an unfavorable experience where they thought us as nasty, unclean, etc., ever, period, without exception or question. I'd rather not cook. We follow a very rigid process on glove cleanliness, and change frequently.

Those who think no one notices...people absolutely notice. They just may be in a situation where they've already paid money for samples, or have obligated themselves to be a judge, or are guests at the house and don't want to be rude- so they keep quiet. But they notice. If asked, I'd bet they would rather see gloved hands. We've had people come by our tent and compliment us on the attention we paid to how clean we were and how those sort of details were apparent just by watching us. We were/are not looking for an award or badge, it just seems like the right thing to do.

To the OP, great-looking brisket! (And, apologies for the glove dissertation.) It did look like maybe it hadn't rendered out all the way, so another 15 or so degrees internal (hour or so cook time) and a good rest time and you'll be on target! Inject will help, and also an au jus type of liquid that you can bathe the pieces in just before putting in the box might keep the slices a little more moist and glistening?
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 am

Lets get this post really up in arms! Why are we not wearing hairnets??? Jk guys, to the OP, brisket looks good. Keep practicing and soon you will find the perfect combination. How have you done in comps since this post? As for injecting with Olive Oil, never done it, in fact I've never injected a brisket, but it may be worth a try at a home cook.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 am

NPayne1 wrote:Lets get this post really up in arms! Why are we not wearing hairnets??? Jk guys, to the OP, brisket looks good. Keep practicing and soon you will find the perfect combination. How have you done in comps since this post? As for injecting with Olive Oil, never done it, in fact I've never injected a brisket, but it may be worth a try at a home cook.

LOL, I'd give anything to have a lil' hair to put in a net :mrgreen:
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

I've been Crazy busy. We have not done another comp but I am constantly cooking. Brisket has gotten much better and I use gloves constantly! LOL! Doing the Texas Tactical Games here in April so I'm prepping for that. Thanks again for all the help and I do miss getting on daily. You all be safe and take good care. -JD :texas:
Ole Hickory EL revolving racks 45 sq ft.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”