Peppered bacon!

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Peppered bacon!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm

About 10 lbs of peppered bacon in the new smoke hutch!
(Insert witty signature here)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Peppered bacon!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Left side, ends for the bean pot.. Right side, slices for all else!!
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Man that looks great! A recipe would be even better. I've been interested in smoking bacon and I've even tried it with mixed to bad results. Throw your secrets out!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:12 am

I've seen a ton of odd recipes for bacon and many methods. I prefer the KISS method here. Bludawg likes to enforce it for brisket, I do for bacon.. Salt, brown sugar, pink salt (optional but recommended), and fresh cracked pepper.. My bacon method for a 10lb pork belly: a bit less than 1 cup of kosher salt, 2 cups brown sugar, pink salt per package direction. If you use LEM cure, it's 1/4 tsp per lb.
mix all together in a bowl and spread on each side of your pork. I use a heavier dose on the meat side rather than the skin side. Then take the rubbed bellies and put them in a large (2 gallon) ziplock, 1 per bag. Place in the bottom of the fridge. Every day you flip them over 1 time each. Do this for 6 days. Day 7: remove the bellies from the bags and rinse once, quickly, then pay dry. Pepper them liberally on the meat side now! Allow to air dry overnight in the fridge if you have space, or on a rack in a cool dark spot with some help from a fan. Smoke them the next day! Try to keep the temp between 150 and 175 until you achieve 150 internal temp on the bellies. Let them rest and chill before slicing! You can slice them with skin on, or remove the skin after you smoke em. If you remove after smoking. Do this when they're still warm; it makes that process TONS easier.
If you aren't using any pink salt, the process is a tad different. You'll use a bit more salt and the process is about 3-4 days longer. If you want this method, I'll jot that down as well, just let me know!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 am

TD, nice bacon. I use about the same recipe. I like the dry cure. Really lean. Like the smoker to. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks! Don't judge me on the wire; I couldn't find my S-hooks. Lol!
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

TD, I appreciate it. I'm going to make some up. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it turns out.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 am

sancho wrote:TD, I appreciate it. I'm going to make some up. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it turns out.

No prob! Measurements are approximately approximate. Lol! I've measured once, then eyeballed after. I usually go conservative on many additions when curing, especially salt. I made a mistake once using too much and the wife about had a litter of kittens cause we ended up with about 10 lbs of jerky we couldn't eat because it was too salty. Total fail, but I also followed the recipe and measured all the seasonings and trusted that it would be fine without tasting the marinade.. A mistake that was NEVER repeated.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 am

Txdragon wrote:Thanks! Don't judge me on the wire; I couldn't find my S-hooks. Lol!

I have found home depot or such will carry metal rods, can be cut and shaped,
also... giving away my vocation... mobile radio antennas are made of stainless steel, hard to shape but worth the effort
for hangars, s hooks and the like.. :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 am

I'll look into that. I have a roll of stainless 14g wire that I use to make jump rings for chainmaille.. Makes for good wire to smoke with. Lol

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”