Pit Barrel Cooker......and the ash pan for the PBC

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jerodpb
Bandolero

Pit Barrel Cooker......and the ash pan for the PBC

Postby jerodpb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I came across the PBC at amazingribs.com and was kinda blown away at the simplicity of the cooker. I told my wife there is no tellin’ what kind of monstrosity my COS cooking would have turned in to, had I not found that website, so anything they gave a thumbs up to, was definitely worth looking at. How Meathead runs his website, is how the last Republican president ran his administration. He is a very smart dude, but he isn’t afraid to surround himself with VERY intelligent people. http://amazingribs.com/meathead/index.html is the link to exactly who is involved with the website.

The review I read on the PBC wasn’t just a, “get it, you’ll like it, cause we did, and this is what we cooked.” When you have a doctor, who has a Master’s and a PhD from Harvard, explaining the thermodynamics of the system in simple enough terms for ME to understand, you’ve got a winner. And I thought I was on my way to smartness because I knew what “LASER” stood for, and due to the fact it only took me 4 years to learn the 10 essential amino acids in college. ;) I checked out other reviews that were also helpful. Grillingrrrrl definitely showed why you shouldn’t crack the lid during the cooking process.
I don’t look at products like the PBC, and wonder how I can improve them. My tools to work with metal are vast, Dremel tool, hacksaw, and cordless drill. After modifying the ever-living tar out of my COS, I really didn’t want to have to do much work on any cooker I got. I did however, notice something about the PBC I wasn’t too keen on, and that was the way you get the ash out. You simply dump it out, which leaves some ash on the side of the drum. I didn’t really want to do that, and I knew it was only a matter of time before my wife saw the ash particles and classified them as fomites.

The PBC came in 3 days after ordering, and what looks to be over 1 week before the ash pan. I didn’t want to cook on it before installing the ash pan. Thankfully it came in on a day I was recovering from a camping trip and had a BAD headache. The guy in my tent snored loud enough to be heard at a campfire, on the other side of a big tent, 60 feet away. Pastor’s son thought someone was cutting down trees. One of my step-sons thought a tree kept falling. The SAME tree!! Guess there was a Dwayne Wade of the Miami Heat, Pine tree in the woods. Pinus d-wadicus- fall one time, get up twice. :lol:

Ordering the ash plate had some hitches. I ordered 3 plates from the same company this year for my COS. They were square. This plate would be round. Because it was going to be round, I couldn’t use the standard cut (within 1/16”), and had to use the Laser cut (within 1/64”). That incurred a one-time $45 set up fee for the entire order. Also, there was a 5 business day lead time on Laser orders, so the plate would be shipped the day I was hoping to have it in. I really needed to cook on it by that day. I had a couple ideas as to why the round plate had to be cut with a Laser.
1. Apparently a Laser can cut “circles” around Oxy-Acetylene :flamer:
2. Apparently Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation (LASER) involves more than just flipping a switch or pushing a button. I must have missed that on MacGyver and Spaceballs. “What’s the matter Colonel Sanders, chicken!” I can however, credit MacGyver for teaching me how to plug a leaky radiator using only egg albumin. And that’s no yolk. :wink:

I made a temporary plate using app. 1/32” thick flashing with ample cutouts to miss the tabs that hold the grill grate while lowering and raising the pan. I have also placed pieces of flashing over those cuts once the ash pan was placed to catch any ash that might fall on them.
Last edited by jerodpb on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
jerodpb
Bandolero

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker......and the ash pan for the PBC w/ pi

Postby jerodpb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:26 pm

more pics of the temporary plate....
jerodpb
Bandolero

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker......and the ash pan for the PBC

Postby jerodpb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I am smoking two racks of St. Louis ribs and one 7.99 pound pork butt before SLT (Superficial Lipid Trimming). I used Meathead’s Memphis Dust with the exception of the Ginger on the ribs. I replaced it with Allspice. (In all seriousness, I have to say Ginger was by far the coolest chicken on Chicken Run) Both racks weighed 3.71 lbs. and neither one had the leftover piece of diaphragm. Swift must remove them now. Membrane removal and rub application occurred about 19 hours before cooking time. The butt was rubbed and tied about 10 hrs before cooking time.

Sucker smells gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. I got one chunck of cherry wood. Temp has been steady in the 250's since 3:30 PM. Started cooking at 2:54
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:58 pm

pork shoulder at 140....ribs are ready and are "eat till you hurt good"
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice looking ribs, good color on the glaze
"Sic 'em Bears"
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Kraft Bar-B-Que sauce gets the credit for the color...... 8)

The rub is Meathead's Memphis Dust, minus the Ginger, and replace with Allspice....
Darwin00537
Pilgrim

Postby Darwin00537 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 am

This is Dave, the guy that responded to you on the AmazingRibs comments section. I'd be willing to split costs with you if they'll do that on an order that ships to separate addresses.
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Plate should be in Fri or Sat.....along with the butcher paper

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”