Meridian, TX

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Re: Meridian, TX

Postby TexasPyro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Pony Express wrote:have never understood the pay out argument . they paid out 20K. They do it to raise money. They tell us what they are raising the money for.

Just where the heck is it written that there must be a certain % pay back?

I understand that a lot of these cookoffs are to raise some money, but a $20k payout on $36k in entry fees for a "national championship" seems low, hence the reason I have little interest in this cookoff. If it is indeed for charity they should title it "National Championship for Charity". I cook in enough charity cookoffs, don't need anymore, I prefer a chance at a more lucrative payday.

Like Woody says, to each their own!

Traders was awesome, netted me $1450, 82 cooks, my chances are a lot higher there. I think the actual payout was near $25k!!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Woody Wood wrote:To each his own!! Not a big fan of Meridian but cant say I wont ever go back.

For the money give me Traders Village every year!!!!

I agree 100%, and a lot better atmosphere at Traders....and all judging is done ON site , where it should be done..........Meridian is only 22 miles for me....but Ill go elsewhere......and that money is NOT raised for any charities!!!! no one knows were it goes.....they never have said and never will, but I refuse to cook for a 48% payback.....My .02 only
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:40 am

TexasPyro wrote:I second what Ed said, I was going to go until this weekend, I didn't hear a single cook say it was good and worth the effort.

With that being said, I'm cooking Spookys that weekend.

Pony Express wrote:all the bad your hearing is total BS. Its a great cook off and very well run. Pays well all the way to 10th place. I have been last 2 years and going again this year. Lots of fun.

There are those that will trash anything that is sanctioned by Lone Star. Dont drink the cool aide. Go and decide for your self

Both myself AND the wife are cooking it this year.

^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^
There is nothing wrong with Lonestar or the meridian Cookoff. If you don't like it, don't go, but don't bash it and try to deter other people from going. We cooked several Lonestar this year and they were very well ran and paid back well. Any Cookoff that pays back. 50% or better is considered a good Cookoff. A lot of that money goes to charities and scholarships, facility usage, electricity, porta potties, sampling utensils and boxes, palette cleansers etc. Our team has never cooked there before but I have helped a friend of mind there a few times. They placed top 20 in everything. Usually IMO the people that bash a Cookoff are usually the ones that don't have a chance anyways. Just an observation.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:02 am

50% payback sucks unless there is added $....My time, pit, and meat are worth a whole lot more to me than a 50% payback. With that being said, I do a number of charitable cooks each year where the payback is maxed out at $150 for first in each category paying only 3 spots, but I do them because they are close and it is for a good cause. I have no problem with charity cooks, but one or 2 a year is enough, because when it comes down to it, my favorite charity is me.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Almost every cookoff is a fund raiser for some kind of charity. But most cookoffs already have prize money funded and may add a percentage of the entry fees to sweeten the pot. Usually many activities, raffles etc to raise additional funs. There are some cookoffs that do not already have prize money raised and will use the entry fees. These are usually 90 to 100% payback of entry fees. The cookoff is usually a "draw" to get folks to attend, buy raffle tickets, food, etc. Meridian is the exception that the lions share of the fund raising is done on the backs of the teams.

Attend this cookoff is you want, I have no dog in this hunt as I ain't gonna cook it! :mrgreen:
texas bbq syndicate USER_AVATAR
Texas BBQ Syndicate
Wrangler

Postby Texas BBQ Syndicate » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:57 pm

I would go back but I wont do the peoples choice again. I had 20 people standing in line to get a sample and I should have been taking care of my own business. I had way too much going on and my turn ins paid the price. Lesson learned.
Last edited by Texas BBQ Syndicate on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitmaker Safe
Pitmaker Grillmiester
Pitmaker Long Sniper
Hasty Bake Legacy
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 am

Folks - I deleted a few posts here, feel free to discuss anything BBQ related. State your opinion on BBQ topics, however we don't tolerate are personal attacks & please stay on topic.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Robert686
Pilgrim

Postby Robert686 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Que Balls cooked it last year. We didn't walk, but we had a blast. It was well run, and everything went smoothly. Didn't go this year because we wanted to save the entry fee for the W3 cook at Gruene Harley Davidson. I would absolutely go again despite the nearly 3 hour drive... :shock:

BTW LSBS is a well run organization. Jean and Harvey are wonderful people and their coordinators do a great job.
cannonball express USER_AVATAR
Cannonball Express
Rustler

Postby Cannonball Express » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:21 am

Cannonball Express managed 2nd People's Choice and 16th Ribs this year and had an absolute blast! And as far as people not being sure about where the money goes, I graduated from Meridian High School and I won the NCBC Scholarship and it paid for my first 2 years of college.... Just Sayin....

Its a great event ran by great people, as long as I earn and invite I will attend every year possible.
Tyler "TC" Cannon

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”