Cookoff Brisket......

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cookoff Brisket......

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:14 am

JMoney7269 wrote:God thank you. I was waiting for someone to finally catch that. When you cut, the meat self bastes and won't dry out. Thought all comp cookers knew that. Also keeps you from shredding the flat since the cutting board is making full contact, if it's a little stringy you can just mow right through it

I slice cap down my briskets are never dry.
My slicing knife is razor sharp so shredding a flat is never a problem even if they over cook a bit.
The only time I ever remember slicing one cap up was when the Modelo Negras were flowing pretty good. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Agree with KAM, I slice meat side up and as long as the knife is sharp you wont have any issues if you dont toast the edges by cooking hot n fast. BTW HNF to me is like 300+ but everyone is different and as already stated do what works best for you.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Omg!!!! :deadhorse: how long can we discuss slicing a brisket? Against th grain we got brisket... With th grain we have stringy roast...

Ribeyes and brisket don't belong in th same sentnce.... I've cooked 1000's of briskets no two are alike ... So just cook it th best way You know how !!!!! And I promise I got one of th best briskets of any cook anywhere .... So when is enough enough!?!?!? :banghead: :mrgreen:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:02 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Omg!!!! :deadhorse: how long can we discuss slicing a brisket? Against th grain we got brisket... With th grain we have stringy roast...

Ribeyes and brisket don't belong in th same sentnce.... I've cooked 1000's of briskets no two are alike ... So just cook it th best way You know how !!!!! And I promise I got one of th best briskets of any cook anywhere .... So when is enough enough!?!?!? :banghead: :mrgreen:

I hear ya Jeff, Some guys are better at talkin BBQ!! :laughing7:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:38 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Omg!!!! :deadhorse: how long can we discuss slicing a brisket? Against th grain we got brisket... With th grain we have stringy roast...

Well Boys ya know we got all these young whipper snappers that have to show us old folk the error of our ways. :? Heck we have been winning the wrong way all along. :dont:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Big Ed wrote:

More like..... helpful. Remember participation is voluntary, nobody is holding lighter fluid over your cook chamber forcing you click, look and or reply.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:
Big Ed wrote:

More like..... helpful. Remember participation is voluntary, nobody is holding lighter fluid over your cook chamber forcing you click, look and or reply.

:deadhorse:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Aww What the heck :dont: :deadhorse: :goof:
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 pm

I for one appreciate any sound advice I can get. I know there is more than one way to cook anything, especially a brisket. In the end you gotta do what works for you. So... :deadhorse: :laughing7:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”