Newbie seasoning a newbie vertical smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Native_Horn
Pilgrim

Newbie seasoning a newbie vertical smoker

Postby Native_Horn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello all, newbie here out in Cali but originally from Austin. I finally put together one of those cheapie Master Forge Vertical Smoker's from Home Depot I got as a present last year. Last night I seasoned it, or at least think I did.

First off I rubbed it down inside with regular vegetable oil. Didn't have PAM, which I've read works great, and didn't want to go out to the store at the time. I got several dozen or so charcoal briquets going in the little chimney and once they were burning, put them in the pan. Added another dozen or so for good measure and lastly a chunk of spare firewood I had laying around. I have some cooking chips/bricks but didn't want to waste them on this since I wasn't cooking anything. Left it alone for about 45 minutes and checked it and it was up near 500 degrees, opened the door for a while and it cooled down to about 350. Left that open for about an hour probably then closed it and left it alone. Came back about 2 hours later and it was down to about 150. It was a pretty cool night, probably mid to high 50s.

So basically, was curious if anyone thinks that's sufficient, did I screw up, am I ready to go, etc. I want to try my first cook this weekend, was going to go small to get more acquainted with it, as I've never smoked before. Local grocery stores have small cuts of brisket, usually 2-4 lbs and figured that would be a good first start. Thoughts?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Newbie seasoning a newbie vertical smoker

Postby BluDawg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

if you got it up to 500 and held tree fity for at leat 1 hr it don'y git no betta.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Sounds like to me you did everything correctly. I'd start with an inexpensive chunk of something and move up.
Native_Horn
Pilgrim

Postby Native_Horn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks guys, glad to get that step out of the way.

If I go with the 2-4lb brisket, it's pretty thin, should I stick with the hour/pound ratio? Would I change the temp range?

Another newbie/idiot question, when needing more wood/charcoal, is it as simple as just lifting the top half off the bottom and throwing them on there? Would the heat not spike? Do I just put a few in so it doesn't jump massively?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Think you did fine, and agree with the big Dawg, the only other add I might have was you might repeat the process with peanut oil. Peanut oil has a great thick consistency and sticks well.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Personally I would start with either chicken or a pork Butt. They are very forgiving to temp swings and turn out very tasty. These cuts will allow you to learn the cooker and what is expected of you for medium to long cooks.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am

For what you pay per lb for a little chunk of a flat you can dang neat get a 10 lb packer. Once trimmed it would be about 8.5 lb and once cooked would be about 5 lb. it is much easier to cook than a little chunk of market trim flat. However if you must cook a little chunk of market trim flat run your temp to 275 cook for 3-4 hrs then wrap in foil to finish at Probe tender.
PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Native_Horn
Pilgrim

Postby Native_Horn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for the thoughts/advice guys. I went ahead and got a pork shoulder picnic, as it was the only thing the store I was able to go to, had. I'm going to make that a new post in Grillin n Chillin. Will have pix. Looking forward to my first smoke.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”