Seasoning a new old country wrangler

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Gixxer1k
Pilgrim

Seasoning a new old country wrangler

Postby Gixxer1k » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Hello gentlemen. I am new to the smoker world and looking for some advice. I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a year and a half and decided it was time for a stick burner. I bought the Old Country Wrangler and have a couple of questions on seasoning it.

I have read a lot on the subject and keep going in circles on how I want to go about it. Here are the questions:

1) do I need to get it really hot and burn it out before applying any cooking oil, to burn out whatever the mfr put on it or coat and go?

2) do any of you steam it with water while you are seasoning it? I saw a video that suggested doing this every time you cook as well as when you season it. Opinions?

My current plans are to season as follows...
Spray entire inside of the smoker (both cooking chamber and fire box) with Pam.
Light a half a chimney of charcoal and put a couple of splits of oak on it once it's going and in the firebox.
Play with the fire and try to maintain 250-275 for 6hrs or so adding a split every hour or so as needed.
Once it's done, do I just close all the vents and let it burn out and scoop the ashes the next day?

I also have some tuning plates for it and plan on spraying the firebox every time I use it. I have also installed a thermometer at grate level.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Fellas!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Seasoning a new old country wrangler

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:42 am

Welcome to the forum Gixxer1k. :D
If the cooker has protective oils in it get some simple green and spray down the cooker then rinse out with water till all the de-greaser is gone. If no oils are present just hose it out.
Light a fire as you described and bring the cooker up to around 300° and let it dry out.
Once it is dry lightly coat the inside of the cooking chamber with Pam cooking spray.
There is no need in coating the inside of the firebox.
Once the chamber is sprayed let it season for a couple of hours then have some leg quarters on hand and cook them. It is a nice finish to seasoning a cooker.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Don't oil the inside of your Firebox that is asking for trouble.
Think of your pit as a big hunk of cast Iron Cook ware and treat it accordingly. I prefer to use Lard on a seasoning run nothing an I mean nothing beats Pork Fat. It has a low smoke point and will leave a nice shiny carbon coating on the inside. Oil won't carbonize because it has a much higher smoke point. I use a paint brush and brush a light coating on the inside and the grates.
A seasoning run should be done hot 350+ for an hr. Then close up the dampers and wipe down the outside with pam and a rag and let it cool completely. Empty out the ash & enjoy your new off set. I wipe mine down on the outside with pam & a rag after every cook.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Gixxer1k
Pilgrim

Postby Gixxer1k » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks fellas! I read that oiling the fire box would preserve it. Guess I was wrong. I appreciate the info!
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 am

Kind of getting in on this one late, but I would follow KAM's advice spot on, he's seasoned a many a cooker in his days. Grab a can or 2 of cooking spray, liberally coat the inside of the cook chamber and grates and let the heat and smoke do it's job. Make sure and run a good, clean fire as you season the cooker (of course you should do this always), don't want to start out by throwing some creosote on the walls of your new cooker.
As far as the firebox, no oil inside, but a good wipe down with oil on the exterior will help with the rust as you cook over the years, I used to do this, now I just wire brush and paint about every 6 months.. I have heard of some even spraying the outside down with WD-40 to help with the rust.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”