Humble myself here...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Humble myself here...

Postby PITPIG4151 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:55 am

So this is the brisket I did that didn't place. It was good. Dang good. But for one bite?... not sure. I was clearly beaten out by great competition and years of experience. I heard tell of the guy that won injected with olive oil? :dont: Jokes on me being the new guy but really? :joker: I wouldn’t dare knock it and nothing would really surprise me anymore in Bar B Q but can somebody shed some light on this baffled cook. Thanks. LOL. :texas:

That is Primo behind me, with a knife, and crazy eyes. Its just what he does.
Ole Hickory EL revolving racks 45 sq ft.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Humble myself here...

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:10 pm

PITPIG4151, first off please wear gloves when you are handling your meat raw or cooked. Keeping the judges healthy is very important. :wink: :D
Your brisket looks nice from the pics, slices look nice and consistent not breaking apart from over cooking. Not much juice on the board which could mean by the time the box hit the judges it was dry compared to those that injected.
There are a lot of methods and products to inject or marinade with to ensure your brisket carries its moisture to the judges. Finding what works best for you comes with practice.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:14 pm

LOL! Thats some really good advise! LOL. WOW! Well, I am going to pass that down just as well. Guess that doesn't help me that I am not cutting does it. LMAO! I cant trim or cut a brisket to save my own life. Im trying though. I am going to share this embarrasement with the team. :violent: :lurk: :banghead: :deadhorse: :texas:

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:25 pm

The glove advice was an observation that may save your team from getting disqualified from an event take it or leave it I could care less.
You asked what may have been wrong with your brisket I answered from what I saw and as you mentioned the 1st place brisket was supposedly injected with olive oil. Clearly in the judges mouths theirs was superior to yours and everyone else.
Good luck with your progress.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a strange feeling you misunderstood my reply. Pure embarrasement is what my reply was about. I can't thank you enough for your advice. I guess knowing my personality would also be helpful. I belive I have actually met you guys or seen you on television before. Husband wife team right? Anyway. Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope to meet you in person some day.

-Sam Houston
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:56 pm

PITPIG4151, its all good. :wink: I am old and do not always understand how folks are relaying themselves across cyber space. Yes we are a husband and wife team. I look forward to someday meeting up with y'all and visiting. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:43 pm

k.a.m. wrote:The glove advice was an observation that may save your team from getting disqualified from an event take it or leave it I could care less.

Please name the association that mandates you wear gloves during any meat prep or slicing? And how if any reason you might get DQ'd? That whole glove thing was made famous by Myron mixon and now everyone that doesn't do it "isn't being safe". Anyone can still cross contaminate with gloves on. Just because someone got gloves on doesn't keep them from touching something earlier that might not have been sanitized properly or for that matter, touching their face, wiping their nose, picking their butt scratching their crotch. Normal people have strep and staph all over their skin which dies once the meat is Cooked on the surface. Professional chefs don't wear gloves during prep and in my 10 years of working in professional kitchens have never worn any. It's all about how you proceed during your prep and sanitize propery. Meat in is raw state also has bacteria on it.
Now onto the brisket. in competition, when you think it's salty enough, Add more salt.
Judging by the grain of the slices they don't appear cooked enough. They aren't separating yet which is when the lignins melt down and make the brisket extra juicy. A undercooked brisket can be dry compared to a over cooked brisket. If you couldn't cut it with a fork, it wasn't tender enough. Good luck and practice often. Flip the slices smoke ring up/fat side down in the box. Even tough it shouldn't matter it does. There was a judge I heard talking at the last IBCA state championship that judged people down when they turned it fat side up. I was one of those people. We placed 9th brisket at that comp which should have been 5-6th and boy did I set her straight right fast and even reported her to the promoter. Fear the judges, not your competition! Some of them don't really know WTF competition BBQ is about. We even got dq'd at a 40 team non sanction event because the chicken leg bone wouldn't twist. Sometimes you really do just get bad judges
Last edited by JMoney7269 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Head judges option that you wear gloves. I never said any association mandated it.
If you cook at a Third coast pit IBCA comp Jimmie Livingston the Head judge will tell you at the cooks meeting about gloves. He will give you one warning if you ignore him then your gone. Your choice like I said do or don't I could care less. :roll:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:24 pm

We have competed twice in The Columbus Junecookoff is IBCA third coast and they have never said anything About gloves, only that meat be prepared, stored, cooked in a sanitary manner compliant with USDA guidelines. I will pass on the gloves. If a IBCA judge came up and told us or any team for that matter I would ask them to show me on a printed set of rules from the sanctioning body.
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Your choice. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Pitpig, this is the approx tenderness we cook our Briskets to every comp. Although it's just a eatin brisket, I didn't jazz it all up like we do at comps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDP7pYtB3c&sns=em
My $.02 is worth $37.50
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I wear gloves to keep from getting seasoning under my nails. Just my preference.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Only a Lazy slob would not wear gloves while handling meat others will eat!!! :puke:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 am

So what I am gathering from this thread is that we need to wear gloves! Got it! :deadhorse:
Weber 22.5", UDS
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

Big Ed wrote:Only a Lazy slob would not wear gloves while handling meat others will eat!!! :puke:

Guess you have not been in many mom and pop joints. Actually many big fancy places would be empty if folks actually knew what goes on in the kitchen.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”