KCBS Questions

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jeffco
Pilgrim

KCBS Questions

Postby Jeffco » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:51 pm

The American Royal will be my first time cooking KCBS competition. I usually cook with strictly Mesquite, i cook H&F and also wrap in foil. Since I only have a few hours of smoke, I like the smokey flavor Mesquite adds to the meat. My cooking partner is trying to convince me to throw in some cherry or Hickory for the ribs since were cooking in MO. Should I change up my flavor profile, or stick to whats been working in Texas?

I've also placed pretty well in my Brisket in south texas comps, but notice alot of folks turn in burnt ends in KCBS along with their slices. I practiced burnt ends once and they didn't seem to come out very well and my slices seemed more dry to me since I cut the point from the flat before I rested the meat. Is it necessary that i make the burnt ends to have a chance, or again just cook what i know and turn in slices?

Lastly, just a side note, i would rather just turn in my half chickens which have also done well for me, but these dang thighs and bite through skin i just can't get down. I usually cook my chicken at 350 on the right side of my pit by adjusting the tuning plates, but i keep overcooking the chicken thighs.

Thank you and I appreciate the help and any advice you can give me!
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: KCBS Questions

Postby Big Ed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I would stick to what got you there, but bring plenty of brown sugar!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 pm

^^^^^+1^^^^^
I fee more confident in a pedestrian from Texas judging my brisket that's been around BBQ all their lives rather than someone that has a certificate and waives it proudly but most I say 95% haven't even tried BBQ from every region where it's part of that states heritage. In my book experience always trumps a certificate any day of the week though. Good luck don't beat up on me too bad up there
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
Jeffco
Pilgrim

Postby Jeffco » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and comments. I think i will just stick to my original game plan and see how it rolls.
I'll be packing plenty of brown sugar, most of my stuff is on the sweet savory side. Really looking forward to just being there and competing.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:58 pm

What's that saying?.. When in Rome..

I've never cooked KCBS, but I would think you would have to change up a few things to be competitive at a KCBS comp... especially the AR up in Missouri. Mesquite being one of them as well as adjusting your flavor profile to being more sweet... but hey it's a crapshoot anyway. Keep practicing that chicken and slicing that money muscle just right! lol
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 pm

I have to say I disagree with the mesquite also. From my observations, 3/10 like mesquite in TX and I'm sure it's a lot less up north. I personally don't care for mesquite. I'm a central tx guy, black pepper, post or live oak and a hint of pecan. If anything I would incorporate cherry wood into the process, which I already use. Here is my last practice which I just did tonight I glazed half and kept the other half to be frozen and used for smoked chicken lasagna.
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 am

Cooked the Sams Club up in Kansas City this weekend. My brisket is definitely a "Texas" brisket and my pork butt is savory, not sweet. 5th in pork and 6th in Brisket. Save the sugar for the ribs and chicken, unless it is already something you do.

If there is one mistake to be made, I would say it is turning in overcooked pork. Won pork twice this year (both times with top ten pork teams in the field). But if I turn in pork like I would eat at the house, I get hammered.

Take that for what it is worth.

BTW Redneck Cooker deserves a shout out for the brisket call. I cooked it to his "doneness" and rested it like he did. It might not have won the category, but it did beat the #1 ranked KCBS brisket cook. 8)
Jeffco
Pilgrim

Postby Jeffco » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Great chicken pics Jmoney, Wish i could get mine like that. I think I need to spend more time scraping the fat off the skin. Think my best chance will be in brisket and ribs. My ribs are already pretty sweet and do use brown sugar. Will be doing my normal thing on those, but might throw in some cherry when my chicken goes on. I cook in South Texas and we do like our mesquite. I used to mix mesquite and oak, but had plenty of folks tell me that it didn't have enough smoke flavor for them.
Also looks like rain and cold weather is in the forecast for AR.

Congrats on the calls mettle and for the advice. I cook my pork butts to the similar doneness of my brisket, passing the poke test and it's done.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 pm

We placed 73of 175 in the invitational with just thighs with the same light glaze we use for Ibca comps and In the open we placed 100 oof 535 by turning in just breast meat from half chickens. Screw that thigh fat/skin scraping PITA!
My $.02 is worth $37.50
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Mettle wrote:Cooked the Sams Club up in Kansas City this weekend. My brisket is definitely a "Texas" brisket and my pork butt is savory, not sweet. 5th in pork and 6th in Brisket. Save the sugar for the ribs and chicken, unless it is already something you do.

If there is one mistake to be made, I would say it is turning in overcooked pork. Won pork twice this year (both times with top ten pork teams in the field). But if I turn in pork like I would eat at the house, I get hammered.

Take that for what it is worth.

BTW Redneck Cooker deserves a shout out for the brisket call. I cooked it to his "doneness" and rested it like he did. It might not have won the category, but it did beat the #1 ranked KCBS brisket cook. 8)

Congrarts on the calls...brutha....and thanks for the kind words on brisket......We had 17th place brisket on Saturday outta 177 teams at the Royal......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Jeffco
Pilgrim

Postby Jeffco » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Congrats on the calls, chicken was our worst category placing 159. The flavor was good, but didn't have the skin right. That skin scraping sucks and i didn't really get it all off. Had an excellent time though, picked up some good tips while i was there. It was our first time cooking KCBS. Excellent job on the brisket call!!
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am

Been cooking a little over a year and stop scrapping thighs half way through.

Figure out another way to make them bite through. Putting them on the top rack of a fat girl/ cube/ vault is one way.

I guarantee it works on the cube.
JBROOKS3
Pilgrim

Postby JBROOKS3 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 am

Mettle wrote:Been cooking a little over a year and stop scrapping thighs half way through.

Figure out another way to make them bite through. Putting them on the top rack of a fat girl/ cube/ vault is one way.

What temp are you cooking your thighs at on the cube?
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

JBROOKS3 wrote:
Mettle wrote:Been cooking a little over a year and stop scrapping thighs half way through.

What temp are you cooking your thighs at on the cube?

My cooker really locks in at 300. I never fight a happy cooker.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:We placed 73of 175 in the invitational with just thighs with the same light glaze we use for Ibca comps and In the open we placed 100 oof 535 by turning in just breast meat from half chickens. Screw that thigh fat/skin scraping PITA!

How did yall end up overall in the Invitational???
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”