Brisket

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Brisket

Postby HillCountryKid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:33 am

Quick question? I have always cooked 11-12 packer at comps and trim the point after it is cooked, then slice for turn in. Do you think this could cause to be a marked box? :dont:

Thanks
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brisket

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:47 am

HillCountryKid, to my knowledge you can separate the point and flat before slicing. In TGBCA you can even block your brisket before boxing it, you cannot block your brisket in IBCA. All either of them require is the amount of slices intact and not broken up.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 am

What do you mean by "trim"?
Like Kam stated in IBCA you cannot block (trim) the ends offf the slices after its cooked but you can do that before its cooked.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 am

As long as you don't trim the ends of the slices being turned in your good. Pre trim your brisket to fit the box before cooking so that when its cooked, you just slice and turn in from wherever you want. If its overcooked and falling apart, lick em and stick em.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:29 am

To the OP, I'm not sure why you're worried about the point anyway, your slices should come from the middle portion of the flat.
As for J$'s advice, right on. Pre-trim or crop the flat section so that after cooking the slices will fit nicely in the 9 x 9 clam shell turn in box. I think this really makes the box look darn good. I typically will fully separate the point and flat (11-13 pound briskets st start with also) for a comp, cook the flat for my turn ins and cook the point, since I'm cooking anyway, for home use.
KAM is on point as well as far as the 2 different sanctioning bodies and their rules on blocking.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks for the info.
renob964
Pilgrim

Postby renob964 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 am

I am a new comp cook. This topic was very useful to me. I had no idea about the different rules for different bodies. As always, excellent information on this forum. Thank you gentlemen.

David
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:32 am

renob964 wrote:I am a new comp cook. This topic was very useful to me. I had no idea about the different rules for different bodies. As always, excellent information on this forum. Thank you gentlemen.

David

It is always a good idea to read up on the rules for whatever body you are going to compete under. Last weekend, I had a box rejected because my ribs were vertical instead of horizontal. That was an easy fix though. A neighboring team had too much juice in one of their boxes and it was a tougher fix. I've even snapped a picture of the example turn in boxes with my phone for quick reference.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”