Critique my IBCA turn-in boxes

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Postby MaxBobcat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am

These were from the Steve Mayberry CookOff. 51 teams. Final tabled in Ribs and Chicken. I think it was #15 in ribs and #19 in chicken. Heard back nothing on the brisket.

This was my 2nd contest. I did the boob-b-que and did not final table anything. So I am showing improvement, but still wanted to hear what some of y'all think. I'd like some real critiques, be harsh guys! :chef:

Chicken: http://imgur.com/YBKfFpv

Ribs: http://imgur.com/mBAUiHC

Brisket: http://imgur.com/b5nxF5o
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Re: Critique my IBCA turn-in boxes

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 pm

The sad thing is that none of the Tx comps really put too much into looks. It's all about the flavor. They are sampling with plastic forks and knives so its gotta be super tender and juicy.
Your chicken looks like a basic run of the mill smoked chicken. Might try a thinner down glaze on the chicken next time. Also maybe a dry rub under the skin
Ribs look great. You gotta remember your packing alot of flavor into one bite. I hate my comp ribs, bu they place well, and the ribs I like to eat don't place.
Brisket looks pretty good. Looks like you sliced it pretty thin which indicates it could be a little tough. I always try to put the thickest slices in there I can get away with, give the judge some flavor. If you wanna win brisket in bigger comps your gonna either have to inject it or make some type of aujus to dip the slices in. Keep practicing. Depending on the judges but one thing I have noticed is when it tastes too salty to me, it places well in comps. Good luck, practice practice practice
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:43 pm

JMoney, great information brother! Thank you! I just learned alot. Cool! :texas:
Ole Hickory EL revolving racks 45 sq ft.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 pm

J$ hit on some great points...juicy, tender, flavorful and typically salty work well. Chicken looks like most halves do (from the looks of the draw on the skin, maybe a bit overdone), ribs look maybe slightly dark (hard to tell with the pic), but look pretty darn tasty, "Cowboy" style. Brisket at a glance, the pic looks tough (once again, hard to tell in a pic), but probably chewed good. The problem with that type of brisket is as J$ pointed out, the plastic forks and knives. Tenderness is key.
Looks like you are off to a good start with the final tables, just go from there and best of luck down the road.
Jeff
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:01 pm

[quote="MaxBobcat"]These were from the Steve Mayberry CookOff. 51 teams. Final tabled in Ribs and Chicken. I think it was #15 in ribs and #19 in chicken. Heard back nothing on the brisket.

This was my 2nd contest. I did the boob-b-que and did not final table anything. So I am showing improvement, but still wanted to hear what some of y'all think. I'd like some real critiques, be harsh guys! :chef:
Max ...where were you camped at?....Dont think I got to meet you?...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Postby MaxBobcat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Max ...where were you camped at?....Dont think I got to meet you?...

Across from the car dealership cooking trailer in the long parking lot. Just a small tent and me and my friend cooking on a WSM and kettle.

J$ and Bruno, thanks for the responses about the boxes. My ribs did come out darker than usual because I did leave them in smoke for an extra hour to make them tender enough for knife and fork. Seems to have worked out.

This brisket wasn't really dry but, I did cut the slices thin because I was nervous they would DQ me for having too thick of slices. They always stress that at the cook meetings. Since I only cook one packer, I don't really have many slices to spare if they DQ a whole box full. In this box though, the rendered fat cap on the bottom was loose and falling apart. In hindsight I think I should have trimmed it. Anybody here trim their fatcap off their slices before turnin for ibca?

Chicken was ok , but bite through skin eluded me that day. Next time :-)
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 pm

This is what our chicken typically looks like at cook offs, but it gets a nice sweet spritz right at the end to cook on.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... ea8ebe.jpg
Our typical ribs before slicing after the smoke, wrap and rest
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... 23c133.jpg
After a glaze and back on the pit for 15 minutes @300
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... ed3d45.jpg
Brisket is all about the slicing and how tender it is. It's gotta be juicy in the box! There are ways to insure it stays that way. Ours can sit for hrs in the box and its still juicy, same with chicken
Briskets before slicing
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... a7d0ee.jpg
Really wish pics didn't have to be downsized and jump through hoops to post. It's a lot easier to just post the IMG code
Hope this helps a little. I doubt anyone was gonna post pics of their winning BBQ so figured I would help as much as I could. Can't tell ya what I do to the box though. Got my butt whipped for years before I came across this little technique. You would be surprised what you can get away with in turn in boxes.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 pm

MaxBobcat wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Max ...where were you camped at?....Dont think I got to meet you?...

Across from the car dealership cooking trailer in the long parking lot. Just a small tent and me and my friend cooking on a WSM and kettle.

J$ and Bruno, thanks for the responses about the boxes. My ribs did come out darker than usual because I did leave them in smoke for an extra hour to make them tender enough for knife and fork. Seems to have worked out.

This brisket wasn't really dry but, I did cut the slices thin because I was nervous they would DQ me for having too thick of slices. They always stress that at the cook meetings. Since I only cook one packer, I don't really have many slices to spare if they DQ a whole box full. In this box though, the rendered fat cap on the bottom was loose and falling apart. In hindsight I think I should have trimmed it. Anybody here trim their fatcap off their slices before turnin for ibca?

Not sure if you are joking about the bite through skin, but forget about that noise for IBCA. No one cares. I turned in rubber skin my first IBCA and took 6th place.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:33 am

Mettle wrote:
MaxBobcat wrote:

Not sure if you are joking about the bite through skin, but forget about that noise for IBCA. No one cares. I turned in rubber skin my first IBCA and took 6th place.

Agreed..., bite through not needed, it just needs to be easy to cut through for the first judge or 2, after that the bird is a mess anyway.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Well don't think we met you either. We were set up next to the washin station close to turnin. ya done real good for yer 2nd cook. We only got 6th beans and 17th ribs so ya did better than us! :)

Brisket looks fine, most likely a taste/salt issue. Ribs look good but also look a little dry. Yardbird has skin startin to wrinkle which is a sure sign of being overcooked and most likely startin to dry up. Just MHO but take that with a grain of salt as ya whupped our ! :)

Ribs and brisket are much more fergivin on cook times but yardbird can go from perfecto to dry bird in just 10 minutes. Don't take long at all. i like to check our birds after an hour in the thigh. slip temp probe under the skin and into meaty part of thigh not against the bone. At 170 degrees in the thigh that bird is cherry! Any higher and the breast will start to dry out quickly. If you put that temp probe thru the skin at the later part of being done particularly in da breast, your gonna lose a lot of moisture thru that hole in da skin. But the thigh is more moist and can survive some moisyure loss. I never put the probe in the breast, always in the thigh.
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Another newbie question. Do they provide the boxes or do you have to bring them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Postby Babybluebbq » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:13 am

Raider18 wrote:Another newbie question. Do they provide the boxes or do you have to bring them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

They provide them
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 am

<sluuuuuurp>

Tastes like a computer screen.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”