A little rib help please

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

renob964
Pilgrim

A little rib help please

Postby renob964 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Just completed my first comp and finished in the top 1/3 in ribs and about the top 50% overall. I have a question about ribs. I cut my spares down to St. Louis and pull the membrane, trim the fat etc. I add my rub liberally using yellow mustard as the glue. I put on pit for 3 hours of smoke then I wrap them in butter, brown sugar, honey etc. for about 30-45 mins (I cook at 275). When I unwrap them, I put my special glaze on them for the last 30-60 mins to 'tack' it in for turn-in.

Here's my problem....when I unwrap them, my ribs have a 'rub paste' on them. I cannot apply my glaze without wiping off the rub.....Am I missing something....Is as simple as I just apply too much rub in the beginning? I do apply liberally....enough to cover mustard....then one more trip over it again...so only two passes....should I just do one pass instead of two?

I needed my glaze, so after I unwrapped them and began applying the glaze it was wiping away with my bbq brush....I wiped most of it off on purpose just so I could get the glaze on there....I did end up in the top 1/3, but this problem is bothering me....

Any ideas how to keep the 'rub paste' from occurring....Ideally I want a rub that 'melts' into the rib and becomes part of the rib...much like salt on a steak....Ideas??? Help please!!!

David
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Re: A little rib help please

Postby TexasPyro » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm

David, I used to use mustard to "glue" the rub on and experienced the same problem. I stopped using mustard and simply started applying the rub, waiting a few minutes for it to sort of soak in, then apply another layer. In my opinion in works better and gives the ribs a nicer appearance and substrate for the glaze to adhere to.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

First thought that popped into my head was too much rub, but it could be in your rub make up also. Make your own? Commercial? Does it have larger particles in it or do you grind it fine? After 3 hours of smoke, mine is pretty well cooked onto or into the meat, so I have never had this problem and I use mustard as a glue as well, although I have done them without the mustard and it worked just as well. How long before they go into the pit do you rub them? The "wrap" does tend to soften the bark you built during the smoke phase a bit, so maybe it is just quantity of rub.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
renob964
Pilgrim

Postby renob964 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:18 pm

bruno994 wrote:First thought that popped into my head was too much rub, but it could be in your rub make up also. Make your own? Commercial? Does it have larger particles in it or do you grind it fine? After 3 hours of smoke, mine is pretty well cooked onto or into the meat, so I have never had this problem and I use mustard as a glue as well, although I have done them without the mustard and it worked just as well. How long before they go into the pit do you rub them? The "wrap" does tend to soften the bark you built during the smoke phase a bit, so maybe it is just quantity of rub.

I use a commercial rub listed regularly on this site...I do jazz it up a little with some onion powder, but not much...The size of the particles is between table salt and kosher salt...so, not too big or too fine, I believe.

I usually rub them about 2 hours before they go on the pit...sometimes one hour....Now that I think about it...when I rubbed without mustard, the rub would 'melt' into a nice sheen prior to being put on the pit....and with the mustard, it does not....maybe the issue is the mustard....i'll try both ways at home this weekend....

Thanks fellas,

David
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Loose the butter and honey!! Apply some brown sugar and applejuice in foil tent, I ccok mine about 1.75 hrs in the foil but I cook at 250. Hope this helps! :salut:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Big Ed wrote:Loose the butter and honey!! Apply some brown sugar and applejuice in foil tent, I ccok mine about 1.75 hrs in the foil but I cook at 250. Hope this helps! :salut:

+1...no honey in the foil.........and no mustard for any reasons.....I use Wooster then apply rub...let stand 1-2 hrs and put in the smoke...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
renob964
Pilgrim

Postby renob964 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
Big Ed wrote:Loose the butter and honey!! Apply some brown sugar and applejuice in foil tent, I ccok mine about 1.75 hrs in the foil but I cook at 250. Hope this helps! :salut:

+1...no honey in the foil.........and no mustard for any reasons.....I use Wooster then apply rub...let stand 1-2 hrs and put in the smoke...

Thank you for the input....What is "Wooster"?

Thank you.
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

renob964 wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:

Thank you for the input....What is "Wooster"?

Thank you.

Worchectershire sauce.... :wink:

Hook Em' Horns
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I never use wooster on pork... only on beef - but that is just my taste. I use mustard as glue on ribs but very thin. I am pretty sure I have experienced the same problem you are having and the problem was too much glue ( and rub).
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm

3 star redneck wrote:

+2 I would loose the brown sugar too!!! Just wrap with a little apple juice and you will be better off! I personally use olive oil as my "glue". Some dehydrated spices will only reconstitute in fat so this seems like the better option to me. I always let me "bark" re set for about ten minutes after I unwrap to make sure my glaze doesn't brush it off.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Why wrap?

We are about to do our second comp with no wrap. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Mettle wrote:Why wrap?

We are about to do our second comp with no wrap. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Cause you cook in a cube...... :flamer: ....you can get away with it... :drunk:

Hook Em' Horns
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 am

I knew you would pick up on that. :whiteflag:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”