Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:52 am

Looks good, looks great :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:59 am

Nice job, Looks good enough to eat.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
desi
Rustler

Postby desi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:36 pm

that is a beauty OSD, i luvs me some double smoked ham!
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:05 pm

Now that is a fine lookin' ham :D
Great job :wink:
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Boy that does look good we love ham here. Don't eat it much DH with a bad heart and all.

But I havta ask how is a double smoked ham. Remember I'm new to all this so I have no idea what most of it means.
dilley340 USER_AVATAR
dilley340
Pilgrim

Postby dilley340 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Looks awesome OSD! :D I just tried my first, spiral cut, honey glased ham over Christmas. It was from Dearborn Sausage Co. Man, that was good. The reason I bring that up, is because I'm not into sweet stuff, especially meat. The pineapple has got me thinking that I ought to give it a try.

I'm with perryranch, how do you double smoke a ham?

BTW perryranch, what does DH mean?
Doug
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:12 pm

Dilley DH is dear husband
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 pm

A double smoked ham is real easy. It's nothing more than buying a ham that has been smoked or cured with smoke and reheating it in the smoker instead of the oven. You just smoke til internal temp is right. Light amount of smoke is best and smoke at about 220* pit temp. Make cuts into the rind to let the smoke get to the meat better. I cover with the pineapple rings. Use the juice mixed with honey and a pinch of clove as a glaze. Spiral cut can be done, they are just a little harder to do. I usually soak cheese cloth in garlic butter and then wrap the ham with it. It will hold the slices together and still let smoke into the meat. If you wrap with cheese cloth, spray it about once an hour with apple juice to keep it moist.
Jim
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 pm

Ok that makes sense to me. Was kinda hopin that was what it meant cause anything else woulda sounded harder.

I've been readin and it seems smokers favor apple juice alot. It doesn't leave it tasten like apple juice does it.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 pm

Kind of neutral. I think it's because it's low in acid. Some people mix apple juice and apple cider vinegar for a spray. works well
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:18 pm

OSD wrote:A double smoked ham is real easy. It's nothing more than buying a ham that has been smoked or cured with smoke and reheating it in the smoker instead of the oven. You just smoke til internal temp is right. Light amount of smoke is best and smoke at about 220* pit temp. Make cuts into the rind to let the smoke get to the meat better. I cover with the pineapple rings. Use the juice mixed with honey and a pinch of clove as a glaze. Spiral cut can be done, they are just a little harder to do. I usually soak cheese cloth in garlic butter and then wrap the ham with it. It will hold the slices together and still let smoke into the meat. If you wrap with cheese cloth, spray it about once an hour with apple juice to keep it moist.

Gonna have to try a version of OSD's Ham. It is very much like my method. I score the rind in the checkerboard pattern and stick a whole clove into intersection of the lines. Mop with orangejuice/butter glaze towards the end. Let rest. Pull the whole cloves whist carving. Folks die for it. Haven't tried pineapple, but that sounds real good.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”