Competition ribs?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Competition ribs?

Postby Babybluebbq » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:54 am

I've got a question, is it better to trim up your spareribs just a little bit or is it better take'em all the way down to a St. Louis cut? What do the judges prefer? Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated. Myself I think they make a lot nicer lookin rib trimmed down to a St. Louis cut , and another question. Ibca says pork spareribs , if you was to buy pre trimmed to a St. Louis cut would they pass inspection or would you have to buy untrimmed and trim yourself? I've only done 2 cook offs in the past 2 years( because they was cost convenient being in the town I live in) so I'm still pretty new to the competition parts of bbq'in, thanks and looking forward to hearing some feedback.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Competition ribs?

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 am

Babybluebbq wrote:I've got a question, is it better to trim up your spareribs just a little bit or is it better take'em all the way down to a St. Louis cut? What do the judges prefer? Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated. Myself I think they make a lot nicer lookin rib trimmed down to a St. Louis cut , and another question. Ibca says pork spareribs , if you was to buy pre trimmed to a St. Louis cut would they pass inspection or would you have to buy untrimmed and trim yourself? I've only done 2 cook offs in the past 2 years( because they was cost convenient being in the town I live in) so I'm still pretty new to the competition parts of bbq'in, thanks and looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Its better to use TRUE St Louis Spare ribs....All I buy are pre-trimmed St Louis, and yes they will pass meat ibspection of all BBQ assn's in Texas, and even KCBS......you can even pre-prep all you comp meat at home....You just CANT pre rub, marinate, inject etc......Most cooks I cook around arrive at the event will all their meats pre prepped and ready to go after Inspection.....hope this helps...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 am

pre prepping is the way to go. we only buy st louis ribs, but in a pinch we will buy a full spare and trim it down. i love the "pitmaster privelage" rib tips and ends. Also hollywood cut ribs in the box are a real shocker to the judges to see that much meat on a rib, IMHO it makes the judge think "this guy knows what he's doin!"
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Postby Babybluebbq » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback, cleared up alot of confusion, the first year I competed I just turned in whole spareribs , and the next I trimmed down to St. Louis my self, but I'm not very good at trimming ribs, they came out the size of babybacks by the time I was through, lol, good to know I can skip a step and purchase pre trimmed
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:28 pm

St. Louis cut are the only way I go in Comps. As far as trimming, the ribs give you a guide line to go by and they will be perfect everytime. The white line of fat that runs the length of the ribs is usually a really good place to cut. As you get more proficent, you can feel your way through with your knife. I have to disagree on the hollywood cuts as mentioned above. I've tried ribs cut all ways and just dont see that much difference in my scores. If they are cooked correctly, the cut doesnt matter that much. Remeber, in most Texas comps you have to use a plastic fork and knife to get a bite. Keep that in mind when doing your Comp test cooks, it will help tremendously on how "done" they need to be!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Postby Babybluebbq » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Speed wrote:St. Louis cut are the only way I go in Comps. As far as trimming, the ribs give you a guide line to go by and they will be perfect everytime. The white line of fat that runs the length of the ribs is usually a really good place to cut. As you get more proficent, you can feel your way through with your knife. I have to disagree on the hollywood cuts as mentioned above. I've tried ribs cut all ways and just dont see that much difference in my scores. If they are cooked correctly, the cut doesnt matter that much. Remeber, in most Texas comps you have to use a plastic fork and knife to get a bite. Keep that in mind when doing your Comp test cooks, it will help tremendously on how "done" they need to be!

The first year my ribs didn't do squat lol, last year I made the finals table in 13th or 14 th I don't exactly remember , but back to you plastic fork and knife test, I've been reading all over this forum and found somewhere about that , that is a good bit of information to know because I have been cookin them for a bite mark, I also appreciate the tutorial on trimming
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Babybluebbq wrote:
Speed wrote:St. Louis cut are the only way I go in Comps. As far as trimming, the ribs give you a guide line to go by and they will be perfect everytime. The white line of fat that runs the length of the ribs is usually a really good place to cut. As you get more proficent, you can feel your way through with your knife. I have to disagree on the hollywood cuts as mentioned above. I've tried ribs cut all ways and just dont see that much difference in my scores. If they are cooked correctly, the cut doesnt matter that much. Remeber, in most Texas comps you have to use a plastic fork and knife to get a bite. Keep that in mind when doing your Comp test cooks, it will help tremendously on how "done" they need to be!

The first year my ribs didn't do squat lol, last year I made the finals table in 13th or 14 th I don't exactly remember , but back to you plastic fork and knife test, I've been reading all over this forum and found somewhere about that , that is a good bit of information to know because I have been cookin them for a bite mark, I also appreciate the tutorial on trimming

In Texas BBQ...there is no such thing as over cooked ribs......as a Head Judge and cook Ive seen and had mushy ribs win 1st many many times.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Postby Babybluebbq » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:14 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
Babybluebbq wrote:

In Texas BBQ...there is no such thing as over cooked ribs......as a Head Judge and cook Ive seen and had mushy ribs win 1st many many times.....

The cook off I'm doin in semptember I'm makin sure they are over bite mark done, lol
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Babybluebbq wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback, cleared up alot of confusion, the first year I competed I just turned in whole spareribs , and the next I trimmed down to St. Louis my self, but I'm not very good at trimming ribs, they came out the size of babybacks by the time I was through, lol, good to know I can skip a step and purchase pre trimmed

My IBCA ribs are almost square. Short bones and hollywood. Have not won yet, but have not placed higher (numerically) than 6th place either. After Redneck cooker said what he just did... I think I have a first in my future.
babybluebbq USER_AVATAR
Babybluebbq
Rustler

Postby Babybluebbq » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 am

Mettle wrote:
Babybluebbq wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback, cleared up alot of confusion, the first year I competed I just turned in whole spareribs , and the next I trimmed down to St. Louis my self, but I'm not very good at trimming ribs, they came out the size of babybacks by the time I was through, lol, good to know I can skip a step and purchase pre trimmed

My IBCA ribs are almost square. Short bones and hollywood. Have not won yet, but have not placed higher (numerically) than 6th place either. After Redneck cooker said what he just did... I think I have a first in my future.

I was really happy when I got a call for 10th in chicken last year, I'd probably pee my pants getting around 5th or 6th in something , lol

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”