How long have you owned it?

How was the buying experience?

Pros/Cons buying from Gator Pits?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Gator Pits

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Gator Pits is one of many quality pit makers out there. I visited with the owner during my research into buying an offset pit several years ago and found them to be very knowledgeable and informative. Their quality was outstanding (ask to see Armando's welding) and they are a true custom pit builder that aren't afraid to deviate from their tried and true designs.

With that said, you'll pay quite a bit for a Gator pit and the lead times (last I saw) were pretty far out there. I've never read any complaints about the operation of their pits. I'll qualify all of this by saying I don't own one - my budget wouldn't permit it. You owe it to yourself to personally visit each maker and come to your own conclusions. Good luck in your research.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
smokingoodbbq
Pilgrim

Postby smokingoodbbq » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:43 pm

thanks txsmkmstr for the input. i've been looking online, and I havent searched hi and low. what other pit makers would you suggest that are a little more fan friendly on the price? the Gator Pit, I've taken a liking to, was the Bandit. nice size, the budget isnt far out there. Im open to other opinions as well
Lockon
Pilgrim

Postby Lockon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:50 am

I am looking for a new smoker as well.....undecided between a trailer or a backyard type. I have been looking hard at Lang, Gator Pit, Klose, and pits by JJ. Pits by JJ seems like quality at an affordable price.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:54 pm

I own a 20x40" Party Gator, but I didn't buy it brand new. It was "almost" new. I bought it when it was only a few months old and it still looked brand spanking new. The only reason the guy sold it to me is because he had a change of mind and wanted a 24x40" instead so he bought a bigger one from Gator. Anyways, I've owned it about 3 years and love it. I'm a backyarder and it is perfect for that. There have been a few times where I wish I had a 24x40 instead of a 20x40 when I am cooking for a big party or something, but 99% of the time it is just what I need. As far as quality, I don't think it can be beat. My Gator perfectly seals, no leaks anywhere, which is a tremendous help when trying to maintain a temp. Although I didn't buy my Gator brand new, I have contacted Ritchey (owner of Gator Pits) several times with questions and such and he has ALWAYS been there to help. That's saying something since I didn't even buy it direct from him.

Gators are pricey, but I am sure you will be pleased with the quality. :thap:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:49 pm

I love mine 24x40 party gator. The wait was well worth it. Ritch is a nice guy too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

I was looking at gator pits, just a bit out of my budget....looking at lone star grillz....
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:47 am

Not a thing wrong with Lonestar grillz....I've had mine for about 2 years now. Needs some paint on the firebox but that's pretty normal.
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
upinsmoke USER_AVATAR
upinsmoke
Wrangler

Postby upinsmoke » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm

The carnivore on gators site is mine it took my BBQ to the next level, ritch is good people and all you have to do is sit down and talk to him, tell him what your budget is and he will work with you. Before I bought mine I ask on this site the same question and 3star redneck told me the same thing I'm telling you. Thanks again Jeff
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm

upinsmoke wrote:The carnivore on gators site is mine it took my BBQ to the next level, ritch is good people and all you have to do is sit down and talk to him, tell him what your budget is and he will work with you. Before I bought mine I ask on this site the same question and 3star redneck told me the same thing I'm telling you. Thanks again Jeff

wow, that is a hoss......I would have to take my pocket book to a new level (and a divorce) to get that dude.....and an insulated firebox :wink:

that is sweet.......
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
txmike
Pilgrim

Postby txmike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:30 pm

i have a 20x32 gator, its just the budget model but was really no different than some of the others. i have had it for about 3 years. i definatly couldnt afford the same pit today as all steel prices have gone up a good bit. i love it and have gotten to know it well. will do my normal weekend 2 racks of ribs with a medium pile of charcoal and about 3 small short splits.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”