Angus vs Wagyu???

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Pittsin' in the Wind
Pilgrim

Angus vs Wagyu???

Postby Pittsin' in the Wind » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 pm

We have been competing in mostly local competitions for the past 5 years. We would like to 'step it up' a bit & start hitting some larger competitions. I've been looking into wagyu briskets, but see that they are more marbled than 'regular' ones. This would change our cooking time (we cook low 'n slow) I guess. How do we calculate cook time? Sure hate to experiment on $100 briskets!! What about Black Angus? Is the cooking different for these, too? Anybody out there have opinions on angus vs wagyu for taste? We have quite a few 1st place trophies for our briskets & I generally say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but hubby wants to try a better brisket.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Angus vs Wagyu???

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Not for me....If you have no experience with these two meats you WILL ruin them!!!.... :laughing7: ......All I cook is USDA Prime Grade Briskets.....Im a 3rd Generation Texas Beef Cattle Raiser......and Certified Angus to me is nothin more than a huge Marketing gimmick to try and promote a perticular breed of Cattle.......not quality of beef........I have found over the years that a Choice or Prime grade brisket will win any given cook off anywhere....Just My .02... :banghead: :mrgreen:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Pittsin' in the Wind. :D
I will throw a little kicker in the whole "We need to get better briskets". I have seen HEB Select briskets tear Wagyus apart. My son-in-law cooks Wagyus and at a comp in Baytown an HEB select beat him out. lol
My advice is if your brisket hits in the smaller cook offs then give it a whirl in a larger one just to see how it goes. :wink:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:29 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Not for me....If you have no experience with these two meats you WILL ruin them!!!.... :laughing7: ......All I cook is USDA Prime Grade Briskets.....Im a 3rd Generation Texas Beef Cattle Raiser......and Certified Angus to me is nothin more than a huge Marketing gimmick to try and promote a perticular breed of Cattle.......not quality of beef........I have found over the years that a Choice or Prime grade brisket will win any given cook off anywhere....Just My .02... :banghead: :mrgreen:

I agree on the certified angus being a gimmick. Back when we had our farm the hot thing was Charolet cattle. They were supposed to be the big deal in France because they were so lean. About all I remember was they were an extremely angry cow and liked to tear up barns fences cars anything they could kick or smash their friggn head against. Heck we ate many Holsteins and Herefords and they are all just as good as the next it's 99.9% up to the cook how it tastes.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 pm

If you already are getting 1st place calls then dont fix what aint broke. Redneck wins with prime I win with ibp select,
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54 am

I just got some akaiashi beef recently and ran one for practice. A bit more fat is really all I noticed. Like someone told me, brisket is still a tough cut..I wouldn't buy one again for the cost. Got an extra one of you wanna buy it:grin:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Pittsin' in the Wind
Pilgrim

Postby Pittsin' in the Wind » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks to all of you for the interesting, quick answers. Maybe we'll stick with what's already been winning!
Anybody out there know where I could find a calendar of cook-offs? All I can find is for sanctioned COs. I know there has to be a lot of Fire Dept., VFW's, town festival cook-offs, etc.
I'd also like to add our local ones to a list, whereever it is.
thanks!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Pittsin' in the Wind wrote:Thanks to all of you for the interesting, quick answers. Maybe we'll stick with what's already been winning!
Anybody out there know where I could find a calendar of cook-offs? All I can find is for sanctioned COs. I know there has to be a lot of Fire Dept., VFW's, town festival cook-offs, etc.
I'd also like to add our local ones to a list, whereever it is.
thanks!

Try the Goat Gap Gazette.....they print a lot of Bubba Q's and chilli cook offs.....I personally dont cook ant Bubba Q;s..
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 pm

My dad has quite a few cattle he takes to the auction as well... and I'll just throw this question out for you and it should tell you all you need to know about the "angus" label.

Do you know what characteristic the auction uses to classify a cow as "angus" (which sells at a higher rate by the way)?

** The cow must be black... THAT IS IT.**

So, if you believe black cows taste better than the rest regardless of their breed or diet. By all means buy the meat that came from the black ones. :D :D :D

... that being said if selects, choice or prime works for you go for it. I just wouldnt hang my hat on the "angus" label.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 pm

The color doesn't matter as long as you get the brisket from the right half of the cow which is on the right!!! :laughing7:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 pm

you know what they say, "once you go black, there's no going back: :lol:
Pittsin' in the Wind
Pilgrim

Postby Pittsin' in the Wind » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Think I may just stick with what we've been winning with for brisket. How about pork? Anybody out there have sources/ideas on where to find top-notch ribs?
allend23
Wrangler

Postby allend23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:59 pm

-Allen Day
Sons of Barbecue

Pitmaker trailer with Vault and Grillmeister

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”