new member looking for help

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nol1rxr
Pilgrim

new member looking for help

Postby nol1rxr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 pm

hello grillers
i am from east central ms, 47 years old and have been grilling/smoking since i was 14. been married 24 years 1 child (22) and in need of help smoking a brisket for a 4th pairty.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: new member looking for help

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 am

Trim off the big hunks of hard fat, make a rub of 50/50 kosher salt & black pepper, rub it down Get your pit to 275 deg on the cooking surface . Put the meat on with the fat cap down and the Blunt end(point end) toward the fire box If your cooking on a stick burner. Maintain the temp. at 275 keep the pit closed, If ya Lookin ya aint cookin!
The brisket will be done when the Flat passes the poke test( POKE TEST:> requires the use of a skewer, ice pic, or a plain old meat thermometer, locate the thickest portion of the Flat when the probe will enter the meat with no resistance the brisket is properly cooked. This should feel like a warm knife cutting a knob of room temperature butter.) Cooking at 275 deg on the Grate you will average 1 hr per lb this estimate is for planning and is not an Absolute! The poke test is the last word. Good luck!

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 17
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:25 am

bludawg said it best... in answer to your request for help.
Greetings and welcome to the forum, this is a great forum to learn on lots of people with loads of knowledge.
you did not tell us what you are cooking on? and what you are cooking with? or describe the 4th Pairty?
We could give you lots more info based on answers to the above questions if you would reply
thanks and welcome..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
nol1rxr
Pilgrim

Postby nol1rxr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:36 pm

i was smoking on a char-griller offset smoker. i have been smoking butts and pork ribs for years and decided to try a brisket. started with a 9lb brisket flat, couldn't find a whole packer on july 2nd in my area. washed and dried then rubbed and let rest in fridge overnight. started smoker and got it up to 225deg.f. put meat in at 3:00pm on july 3. kep smoker @ 225 by adding kingsford charcole when needed and basting with apple juice sprayed on ever hour. i was looking for an internial temp @ 160 before i wrapped in tin foil to finish. i could not get a reading higher then 141 and was worried. i know a boston but will stall sometime but did not know about beef. i finaily got it finished (202deg.f.) at 11:30am on july 4th. let it rest in foil until my ribs were ready at 4pm. when trying to slice it was falling apart, we made sandwiches with it and my sister in law was eating it with out her teeth. it turned out allmost perfect,my uncle from libertry texes said any texes grillmaster would have clamed it as his on.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Briskets are like marriage. It bolts out of the gate real pretty, gets to be a butt ugly grind through the stretch, but turns hard and drives for home like a Thoroughbred at the wire.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your post. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank