Masterbuilt LP smoker 4 rack single door

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

talbrecht
Pilgrim

Masterbuilt LP smoker 4 rack single door

Postby talbrecht » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 am

I have been using this smoker for a while now and the only mod I have done is adding an iron skillet with holes drilled to load smoking chunks or chips located on top of the light weight tray provided for the smoking chips. I have taken the water pan out entirely. My question is that I don't ever get a smoke ring on the meats at all. That doesn't mean that what I cook doesn't taste good but I am just wondering if this is normal? I am trying to improve my quality and process to become more consistent. Any ideas or help would be appreciated
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Masterbuilt LP smoker 4 rack single door

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:27 pm

So long as it tastes good does it really matter?? After all it is just a visual thing anyway. It is hard to get a smoke ring with Propane because it is a moist heat.
Things you can do to improve your chances to see a ring
Increase the amount of salt in your rub
Apply light coat of celery salt about 20 min before you apply the rub. (Celery salt has allot of nitrates in it and will help the ring to form)
Put your met on the smoker as cold as possible
Keep the temp close to 200 for the first few hrs, then ramp it up to where you want to cook at
Loose the water in the pan.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you for the reply. Even though what I am smoking seems good to me, I am wanting it to look like I know what I am doing thus wanting a smoke ring. I have a long way to go to get to the level of most of those on this forum but I reqally enjoy smoking meat. I will try the celery salt and I have already gone to putting the meat on cold. The next smoke I am going to do the celery salt with Kosher salt and black pepper rub and use butcher paper. I find that even cooking 250 or less the meat seems to get over cooked on the fire side of the meat. Trial and error till I find a process that works every time. I am so wanting to build a UDS but haven't found the time yet. Again thank you for your help.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 pm

talbrecht wrote:Thank you for the reply. Even though what I am smoking seems good to me, I am wanting it to look like I know what I am doing thus wanting a smoke ring. I have a long way to go to get to the level of most of those on this forum but I reqally enjoy smoking meat. I will try the celery salt and I have already gone to putting the meat on cold. The next smoke I am going to do the celery salt with Kosher salt and black pepper rub and use butcher paper. I find that even cooking 250 or less the meat seems to get over cooked on the fire side of the meat. Trial and error till I find a process that works every time. I am so wanting to build a UDS but haven't found the time yet. Again thank you for your help.
If your cooking Brisket cook fat cap down when the heat is below until you wrap in Butcher paper.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Yes that was the other change I just forgot to mention it. Thanks again.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”