Brisket injection question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jbrooks
Pilgrim

Brisket injection question

Postby jbrooks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 am

I have been using a brisket injection and I have been getting spanked in brisket, I think the brisket taste like roast beef, but it is a moist brisket. Do you guys feel you have to use these commercial brisket injections for LSBS and ICBA comps? I tasted some of the 1st place briskets and they taste like they were injected but without the roast beef flavor. Is there an injection out there that is just phosphates with no flavor enhancers? :dont:
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Re: Brisket injection question

Postby bruno994 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm

How's your tenderness? Here is a recent thread talking about the same roast beef flavor your describing.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21148
I use commercial injections and have had success this year in brisket after doing nothing but a few final tables last year with no injections.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
jbrooks
Pilgrim

Postby jbrooks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm

bruno994 wrote:How's your tenderness? Here is a recent thread talking about the same roast beef flavor your describing.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21148
I use commercial injections and have had success this year in brisket after doing nothing but a few final tables last year with no injections.

Tenderness is ok I was thinking about getting moisture magic from copycat. He says its nothing but phosphates. Im searching :?
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Might be worth a try. I have used copycat Reserve Brisket and Butchers Prime Injection, Top 5 calls with both, both mixed with beef broth, not water and both had the roast beefy flavor. If you try it, let us know how it works.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
jbrooks
Pilgrim

Postby jbrooks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm

bruno994 wrote:Might be worth a try. I have used copycat Reserve Brisket and Butchers Prime Injection, Top 5 calls with both, both mixed with beef broth, not water and both had the roast beefy flavor. If you try it, let us know how it works.

I using Butchers Prime Injection. I will let you know how the outcome is with moisture magic. I mix 3tbls of powder to 2cups of water. I might try mixing beer on the next brisket.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 pm

jbrooks wrote:
bruno994 wrote:Might be worth a try. I have used copycat Reserve Brisket and Butchers Prime Injection, Top 5 calls with both, both mixed with beef broth, not water and both had the roast beefy flavor. If you try it, let us know how it works.

I using Butchers Prime Injection. I will let you know how the outcome is with moisture magic. I mix 3tbls of powder to 2cups of water. I might try mixing beer on the next brisket.

Don't use beer !!!!! ... Alcohol when heated evaporates quick and takes moisture and flavor with it
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
JBROOKS3
Pilgrim

Postby JBROOKS3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
jbrooks wrote:

Don't use beer !!!!! ... Alcohol when heated evaporates quick and takes moisture and flavor with it

Good point wth was I thinking :lol:
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:51 pm

I wouldn't use much beef broth if at all if you want to avoid that roast beef flavor. Go lighter than the recommended dosage too. No fruit juices either!
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 pm

jbrooks wrote:I have been using a brisket injection and I have been getting spanked in brisket, I think the brisket taste like roast beef, but it is a moist brisket. Do you guys feel you have to use these commercial brisket injections for LSBS and ICBA comps? I tasted some of the 1st place briskets and they taste like they were injected but without the roast beef flavor. Is there an injection out there that is just phosphates with no flavor enhancers? :dont:

Check out Kosmo's site ... I do believe he sells straight phosphates. Buy some of that and mix with beef broth if thats what you're looking for.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 am

Do a google search on amesphos.
You can buy it from the ingredient store
It's what we use in our home made injections
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”