IBCA Questions

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

IBCA Questions

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 am

I've never done comps before but the one at Lake Livingston(Onalaska) is only 45 minutes or so from the house and I'm thinking about going down there if i can figure out how to get my LYFEtime on a trailer.

Questions please:
It says "Spare Ribs". Does that mean the whole big slab or can I take some that are already St. Louis cut? If I can't take "Pre Cut" can i cut'em to St Louis once I get there?

Chicken: Half with Skin; - do you leave the entire half as one piece when you put it in the box or do you cut it for them somehow?

On the brisket do y'all put some of the point and some of the flat in the box or just the flat?

It says no garnish: does that mean they don't want the lettuce and Parsley in the turn in box?

Thanks in advance. sorry for the dumb questions.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

IBCA Questions

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:05 am

You can pre-trim all your meat, at home, prior to a contest. DO NOT MARINATE OR PUT ANY RUB ON IT. Put the half bird in the box, do not deconstruct it. Make sure the bird you cook has wing tips on it. Brisket, you will turn in six slices, usually from the thickest part of the flat. No garnish at all. The only thing that should be in the box, besides the meat, should be the foil they put in it already. Best of luck! Hopefully I will be able to make it too.
RLTXBBQ
Pilgrim

Re: IBCA Questions

Postby RLTXBBQ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 am

Normally its 7 slices for brisket in IBCA
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

IBCA Questions

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 am

Oops.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 pm

OK, I've figured this up and from a monetary basis there is not much way you're gonna break even on these competitions unless you're GC or RGC.

I brought this up a few months ago and was quickly told it wasn't all about the money and I understand that part. If you've got plenty of money and want to go spend the weekend cooking, drinking, and in this case, listening to music and fishing, it should be a lot of fun. But if you're looking at it from a Cost basis it just doesn't make sense. for me, right down the road in Lufkin, I'm looking at a minimum of $300 and i'll bet you that doesn't touch it. Do most of you have sponsors? how can you afford this twice a month? Just curious.

Of course, I have to admit I spend much more than that on a deer lease so I guess it your recreation
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Rambo wrote:OK, I've figured this up and from a monetary basis there is not much way you're gonna break even on these competitions unless you're GC or RGC.

I brought this up a few months ago and was quickly told it wasn't all about the money and I understand that part. If you've got plenty of money and want to go spend the weekend cooking, drinking, and in this case, listening to music and fishing, it should be a lot of fun. But if you're looking at it from a Cost basis it just doesn't make sense. for me, right down the road in Lufkin, I'm looking at a minimum of $300 and i'll bet you that doesn't touch it. Do most of you have sponsors? how can you afford this twice a month? Just curious.

Of course, I have to admit I spend much more than that on a deer lease so I guess it your recreation

You got it. I used to play a lot of golf, I mean a lot, yet another expensive hobby, by the time you pay your green fees, carts, clubs, balls, gas to get to the course, it can all add up.
For the most part, very few of us do 2 comps a month, more like 1 every 2 months. I would say the majority of the folks here probably do 6 a year. There are some who do it more and some who do it less. I try and do all the close ones (within 50 miles of the house or work) every year, which is 5 or 6 then I usually will try and travel to one, make a roadtrip and cook against some other group of cookers. Last year it was Cleveland, I might make it up to Onalaska this year.
As far as costs, $125 entry fee, roughly $100 in meat which covers 2 chickens, 3 racks of ribs and normally 2 briskets (cause I don't cook Waygu or even Prime), $75 in gas and probably another $25 for assorted beverages and food an snack items for my self, not to mention rubs, sauces, ice, etc., it's probably $325 or so a comp.
I would say give Onalaska a try, the only thing you might regret is that you will be hooked after the first one. Get one call, you will be hooked, guaranteed. It is not about the money, but it sure makes it even more fun when you get that envelope of cash or a check!
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

IBCA Questions

Postby NPayne1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I have a 3 man team, we split the costs down the board, but we also split the winnings down the board. It's defiantly not a lucrative hobby. We try and find sponsors but so far the only lasting sponsor is my checking account. As u put it, we spend a lot of money on different hobbies, so comps are no exception. They are defiantly addicting! Good luck to you!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I like both responses from the Rustler and Payne and they both make common sense.
I'm going to think about this Onalaska deal a couple of days and decide.
drawbacks are we don't have a travel Trailer and my Lyfetyme isn't on a trailer.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Yes I have sponsors......this is a very expensive sport.....I cook average 25-32 events a yr.....in 2-3 states.......if you break evan consider it a win.......if you malke money it will only help you get to the next location.......this is not for the faint of heart or thin wallets.....lmao........i did 9 week in a row back in the spring...and many other cooks I know does the same....and I have a string of 9-11 events in the fall already on the schedule...including the American Royal.......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Yes I have sponsors......this is a very expensive sport.....I cook average 25-32 events a yr.....in 2-3 states.......if you break evan consider it a win.......if you malke money it will only help you get to the next location.......this is not for the faint of heart or thin wallets.....lmao........i did 9 week in a row back in the spring...and many other cooks I know does the same....and I have a string of 9-11 events in the fall already on the schedule...including the American Royal.......

What is your goal by doing this? Are you promoting a product or do you just enjoy the fellowship?
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Rambo wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Yes I have sponsors......this is a very expensive sport.....I cook average 25-32 events a yr.....in 2-3 states.......if you break evan consider it a win.......if you malke money it will only help you get to the next location.......this is not for the faint of heart or thin wallets.....lmao........i did 9 week in a row back in the spring...and many other cooks I know does the same....and I have a string of 9-11 events in the fall already on the schedule...including the American Royal.......

What is your goal by doing this? Are you promoting a product or do you just enjoy the fellowship?

To be the best bbq"er in Texas and one of the best in the US....and make money.....and Yes....ww.redneckcooker.com........self explanation...lol

Hook Em' Horns
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am

I see. It would be nice to make a living doing what you love.

If I was going to do it I think I'd have to consider it my Hobby to justify it. I guess it isn't any more than Deer Hunting or Golf.
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:37 am

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to weigh in on it.

IBCA and nonsanctioned is WAY cheaper than KCBS. Or it is for me. Luckily we are breaking even (first year, 7 comps). There is no way we could do that with a $6k-$20k trailer.

That being said, if you can win gas money and/or entry fee.... we would have spent that much money on the meat any way.

Also, if you think comps are expensive never buy a boat. Ever.
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Mettle wrote:I know this is an older thread, but wanted to weigh in on it.

IBCA and nonsanctioned is WAY cheaper than KCBS. Or it is for me. Luckily we are breaking even (first year, 7 comps). There is no way we could do that with a $6k-$20k trailer.

That being said, if you can win gas money and/or entry fee.... we would have spent that much money on the meat any way.

First off Welcome to the jungle... :laughing7: ......Your correct but I cook NO unsacntiuoned events at all........Texas BBQ, (IBCA, LSBS, TGCBBA).....have chaper enrty fees but also pay out way less prize money.....I enjoy cooking KCBS, just not very many around ......but they pay out much better ......ust go cook and have fun and the rest will fall in line.... :mrgreen:

Hook Em' Horns
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 am

3 star redneck wrote:
Mettle wrote:I know this is an older thread, but wanted to weigh in on it.

First off Welcome to the jungle... :laughing7: ......Your correct but I cook NO unsacntiuoned events at all........Texas BBQ, (IBCA, LSBS, TGCBBA).....have chaper enrty fees but also pay out way less prize money.....I enjoy cooking KCBS, just not very many around ......but they pay out much better ......ust go cook and have fun and the rest will fall in line.... :mrgreen:

You are a hard guy for me to contact. Hit the email button and send me an email. If you ask nicely, I'll tell you where a $20,000 IBCA contest is going to be held next year. Hope to meet some of you guys there.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”