Big Hat Smoke Experiences?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

uf300zx
Pilgrim

Big Hat Smoke Experiences?

Postby uf300zx » Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Howdy,

I am looking at picking up a Big Hat smoker, however I can't seem to find many folks who have these or have shared their experiences. I am particularly interested in the BH2048SGU unit. Can anyone chime in to the high and low points of these smokers? How do they compare to Klose/Lang/Gator?

Thanks!
jack2
Pilgrim

Re: Big Hat Smoke Experiences?

Postby jack2 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello, Have you got any information about the Big Hat Smoke, I am interested too..
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 am

I keep looking at them every time I go to Eliots here io Plano. They are nice only I would contact them to build one for me with a counterweight for the lid. The reason being my dad is older and I think he would have trouble with the heavy lids. He likes to help cook when he comes over. Otherwise they look like a good value. I would have to counterweight any larger heavier smoker so it's not a negative for them. Check the web site lots of nice info.

http://bighatbbq.com
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:22 pm

I never have seen one in person, but it looks like it is pretty thin metal maybe 10 gauge. I was saying that because of what I just read, its not my sort of cooker but it doesn't look like the lid should be all that heavy to me.

jmtcw
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I never have seen one in person, but it looks like it is pretty thin metal maybe 10 gauge. I was saying that because of what I just read, its not my sort of cooker but it doesn't look like the lid should be all that heavy to me.

jmtcw

They are heavy not the normal thin junk showing up. This is from one of their posts.

We've created a modular all bolt on unit the buyer can design and layout however he wants with whatever options he wants whatever color he wants. Propane is hidden within the weatherproof storage for the gas assisted fire box or a bean/fish cooker option. Custom Big Hat Yeti coolers are the best money can buy. 28 powder coat color options. Our smokers are guaranteed for life, all 1/4" new plate steel, heavy duty framed grates, every hinge is custom cut, 3500 pound axle with 16" wheels on every trailer. 1 1/2" brass drain valve, 2x4 pipe frame trailer with full expanded metal bottom. $5500 equipped as shown.

click the magnifying glass above the photo for slideshow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7558018@N0 ... 943792022/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm

sparetimetoys wrote:I keep looking at them every time I go to Eliots here io Plano. They are nice only I would contact them to build one for me with a counterweight for the lid. The reason being my dad is older and I think he would have trouble with the heavy lids. He likes to help cook when he comes over. Otherwise they look like a good value. I would have to counterweight any larger heavier smoker so it's not a negative for them. Check the web site lots of nice info.

http://bighatbbq.com

I have looked them at Elliots too. I agree about the counterweight. It was all I could do it lift the lid.
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
bighatbbq USER_AVATAR
bighatbbq
Wrangler

Postby bighatbbq » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I can add a counter weight to the lid. Allen Kennedy is the BBQ manager there and he'll order it for you. I found a lot of guys had their smoker up against a wall and this just pushes it out away and it adds cost. I think the "too heavy lid complaint" is an also incredible compliment. Thanks
Beau Smith
Big Hat Bar-B-Q Smokers and Grills
www.bighatbbq.com
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:47 am

bighatbbq wrote:I can add a counter weight to the lid. Allen Kennedy is the BBQ manager there and he'll order it for you. I found a lot of guys had their smoker up against a wall and this just pushes it out away and it adds cost. I think the "too heavy lid complaint" is an also incredible compliment. Thanks

You are right. That is a compliment. I looked at it for a long time and I could tell it was really well built. I was surprised how inexpensive it was considering the quality. It is for sure on "my wish list" :D
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”