Ok...Someone tell me how they do this

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

I cook a lot of TGCBBQ events and have recently found that many of the top teams who consitently place in top 5 with briskets are finished cooking their brisket by 8 P.M. on Friday. I mean I let my briskets rest 2-3 hours but this seems a little excesive. It seems to be working for them week after week so my question is what are they doing? Does anyone on this board use this method? How in the world do they have time to get meat inspected, seasoned, marinating time, and be finished coking by 8?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Ok...Someone tell me how they do this

Postby BluDawg » Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Hot & Fast!! Usually takes about 30-40 min Lb for plaing purposes.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 pm

ok but how do they keep the brisket good untill turn in the next day? Most turn ins are around 2-4 in the afternoon so that is 16-20 hours rest time. Re-heat it? I just dont get it.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Put it in a cooler, wrapped in foil, and it will stay hot for hours. You usually have to let it cool first to keep it from continuing to cook.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 pm

1.) They are most likely trimming down the packer to just the flat and what they need for turn in.

2.) They cook hot and fast, let the brisket rest then cool and reheat the next day.
It works for a lot of teams. I personally have never tried it and may have missed a step or two but this is how its done.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Not that I have had alot of success with brisket... BUT... I'll cook it hot and fast, wrap and throw in a cooler as mentioned. It may sit an hr, or it may sit 6. But I've never had a problem with it not being warm when I pulled it out. In fact I'll pop the foil and let it vent for 15 min's before throwing it in the cool. Such a large cut of meat will hold heat for quite awhile, expecially when insulated.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 am

jtilk wrote:Not that I have had alot of success with brisket... BUT... I'll cook it hot and fast, wrap and throw in a cooler as mentioned. It may sit an hr, or it may sit 6. But I've never had a problem with it not being warm when I pulled it out. In fact I'll pop the foil and let it vent for 15 min's before throwing it in the cool. Such a large cut of meat will hold heat for quite awhile, expecially when insulated.

Resting for 20 hours though?
I have seen this question pop up on other forums and one of the answers there was these teams are usually the ones with nice motor homes or cooking trailers where they can cook the brisket to 165 or to the foiling stage, then pop it into a fridge until the next morning when they get up and get their ribs on, throw the brisket back on, finish it off, then a rest and turn in. This will allow them to cook a quality product all the while allowing them to get their usual 8 hours of sleep. KAM is right on with cooking flats or trimming a packer down to a flat, will speed up the process a bit. I can certainly see HNF being another reason for the early finishes as well. Just what I have read elsewhere...anyone else seen this? Brisket is always better the next day to me you know. I have done a few comps where meat inspection wasn't until 6:00 PM after the cooks meeting on Friday night, I like these. I think it evens the playing field for all, as some of us just can't take off all day Friday and spend the day at the cook site, prepping and cooking.
Last edited by bruno994 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 22, 2013 7:38 am

bruno994 wrote:
jtilk wrote:Not that I have had alot of success with brisket... BUT... I'll cook it hot and fast, wrap and throw in a cooler as mentioned. It may sit an hr, or it may sit 6. But I've never had a problem with it not being warm when I pulled it out. In fact I'll pop the foil and let it vent for 15 min's before throwing it in the cool. Such a large cut of meat will hold heat for quite awhile, expecially when insulated.

I have seen this question pop up on other forums and one of the answers there was these teams are usually the ones with nice motor homes or cooking trailers where they can cook the brisket to 165 or to the foiling stage, then pop it into a fridge until the next morning when they get up and get their ribs on, throw the brisket back on, finish it off, then a rest and turn in. This will allow them to cook a quality product all the while allowing them to get their usual 8 hours of sleep. I can certainly see HNF being another reason for the early finishes as well. Just what I have read elsewhere...anyone else seen this? Brisket is always better the next day to me you know. I have done a few comps where meat inspection wasn't until 6:00 PM after the cooks meeting on Friday night, I like these. I think it evens the playing field for all, as some of us just can't take off all day Friday and spend the day at the cook site, prepping and cooking.

Ive seen this done in commercial applications, not sure how the posse does it at comps. I will say its being done in some surprising BBQ joints - ones known for top notch BBQ.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Wed May 22, 2013 7:57 am

bruno994 wrote:

I have seen this question pop up on other forums and one of the answers there was these teams are usually the ones with nice motor homes or cooking trailers where they can cook the brisket to 165 or to the foiling stage, then pop it into a fridge until the next morning when they get up and get their ribs on, throw the brisket back on, finish it off, then a rest and turn in. This will allow them to cook a quality product all the while allowing them to get their usual 8 hours of sleep. KAM is right on with cooking flats or trimming a packer down to a flat, will speed up the process a bit. I can certainly see HNF being another reason for the early finishes as well. Just what I have read elsewhere...anyone else seen this? Brisket is always better the next day to me you know. I have done a few comps where meat inspection wasn't until 6:00 PM after the cooks meeting on Friday night, I like these. I think it evens the playing field for all, as some of us just can't take off all day Friday and spend the day at the cook site, prepping and cooking.

You are exactly right. Everyone that I see doing this has the huge motor homes. Somethin about it just does not sit well with me. When i think of comps i think you should just have your canopy and your pit. Keep the motor homes elsewhere.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:14 am

B & K...right on man. Don't get me wrong I love cooking comps, great people, lots of fun, but some have made it convienent for them. Don't get me wrong, if I had a big camper or motorhome I'd probably roll up in that at comps too, but there is something to be said for those of us sleeping in our trucks, tents, or zero gravity chairs with a pit, an EZ-UP and some coolers.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

bruno994 wrote:B & K...right on man. Don't get me wrong I love cooking comps, great people, lots of fun, but some have made it convienent for them. Don't get me wrong, if I had a big camper or motorhome I'd probably roll up in that at comps too, but there is something to be said for those of us sleeping in our trucks, tents, or zero gravity chairs with a pit, an EZ-UP and some coolers.

Amen to that! An ez-up, cot, pillow, and pit. Or if its allowed by the wife, I just stay up and drink all night (this makes me cranky the next morning).
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Wed May 22, 2013 12:41 pm

NPayne1 wrote:
bruno994 wrote:B & K...right on man. Don't get me wrong I love cooking comps, great people, lots of fun, but some have made it convienent for them. Don't get me wrong, if I had a big camper or motorhome I'd probably roll up in that at comps too, but there is something to be said for those of us sleeping in our trucks, tents, or zero gravity chairs with a pit, an EZ-UP and some coolers.

Amen to that! An ez-up, cot, pillow, and pit. Or if its allowed by the wife, I just stay up and drink all night (this makes me cranky the next morning).

thats what im talking about. Somethin just doesnt seem right when its 9:00 AM on comp day and people are still sleepin, not to mention their pits are not even fired up. To each their own but i guess like anything else in life this new technology is going to take over eventually.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm

I think there is some truth that brisket often tastes better the next day. However, I think people win doing all sorts of things, finishing early, on schedule, injecting, no injecting..etc.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu May 23, 2013 12:49 pm

bruno994 wrote:

I'm not saying I would do it personally... I have let my rest like I said up to 5 or 6 hrs. But the time you will have on your resting period will vary with the cooler or resting container, how well is it insulated?? And how many briskets you have in it?... The more briskets you have in there the longer it will keep because of the heat they give off, same thing with the cooler. If you throw it in a Yeti, I'd be willing to bet 20 hrs wouldnt be a problem. As Gator mentioned I've seen people cook for benefits and throw them in a cooler and let them set the entire night or until they were cut up the next day.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 pm

B&K Smokers wrote:
NPayne1 wrote:

thats what im talking about. Somethin just doesnt seem right when its 9:00 AM on comp day and people are still sleepin, not to mention their pits are not even fired up. To each their own but i guess like anything else in life this new technology is going to take over eventually.

Work smarter, not harder. :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”