What are yall guys doing to chicken......

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

What are yall guys doing to chicken......

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am

Sounds like I need to do some experimenting of my own. Thanks for the injection tips!
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Re: What are yall guys doing to chicken......

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 am

Well in the past I have smoked the bird, ive direct grilled it, ive injected it, ive soaked it, I just haven't had any success...... I think im going to start brining and injecting the bird as well as seasoning it under the skin......
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am

BigDave, I have heard and read the argument about weighing birds before and after brining, with little gain, if any in weight, but the idea behind brining is the chemical change the salt creates (denaturing of the proteins) with the chicken allowing it to retain more moisture during cooking, not so much a gain in weight via moisture. I have, as you and others have stated, tried any number of chicken "molestation" methods known to man, but with brining I have found it to be 99% effective in keeping the bird moist. Now as far as flavor, I am leaning more towards injecting. My brine gives a good, salty, spicy (thanks to the cayenne) flavor, but it's just not hitting right now, so I think I'll be doing some injecting at my next comp, so thanks for the tips on injecting, hopefully they will prove effective.
Jeff
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Re: Re: What are yall guys doing to chicken......

Postby CypertJ » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

bruno994 wrote:the idea behind brining is the chemical change the salt creates (denaturing of the proteins) with the chicken allowing it to retain more moisture during cooking, not so much a gain in weight via moisture.

+1
Brine for moisture, and inject for flavor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 pm

BigDave wrote:Well I assure y'all I have tried most every chicken molestation cookin technique known to mankind! Brining, marinading, injectin, rubbin, combinations of aforementioned and making brine a week in advance so it really melds all the flavors.

For you briners here is a test, weigh yer brine before adding yardbird and weigh after removing yardbird! There ain't gonna be much difference I assure ya! Not much difference means not much went into that bird. Don't take my word for it, do the test yerself.

Only way to get stuff into a bird well is injectin the CORRECT way. Yes, there are different ways to inject that don't work well. And, as someone said, chicken still needs to taste like chicken! You need to use the correct needles. I recommend a 14 gauge needle. Can get em at vet supply, feed stores, Tractor Supply, etc. Most anywhere they sell livestock meds. These are surgical needles rasor sharp just like the doc uses to give you a shot only larger. They cut into the flesh instead of pushing into the flesh. Don't leave no injection tracts.

Most injections being sold use xantham gum as a thickener so the injection is less likely to come out when the needle is removed. Well if it is too thick to come out of a needle tract it is too thick to absorb into the flesh very far either. Make yer own injection folks! OK, I be giving up a secret. Take all that fat, excess skin, backbone, breast keel, etc & cut it into small pieces. Yes the bone, especially the bones! Place into a sauce pan on medium high heat and start rendering out that chicken fat. Once you start seeing a lot of liquid, add water and boil the heck out of that for 10 to 15 minutes, turn off heat & add whatever spices you use. Let that steep until the liquid is just warm. Strain with fine strainer, discard bones & stuff and you is left with pure chicken flavored greatness that came from yer bird!

Now, while just warm enuf to keep fat in liquid form, stirr quickly to mix fat to water, draw into needle and inject into COLD bird. The cold bird will solidify the fat in the bird. I guarantee that bird will be juicy two hours after it is first cut open if not over cooked. Very improtante as if yer bird advances to finals table, it needs to have some moisture left and not be dry. 2 ounces to a breast and 1.5 ounces to leg/thigh quarter is plenty for large bird. Less if smaller. Once that scrawny chicken plumps up to a thing of beauty it has enuf.

Oh, I use Big Country BBQ, "Simply Unique" rub too. Just an fyi! Yes, a shameless plug for me rub. But it is good and a proven winner by us and some other teams too! :)

I respectfully disagree brines work quite well for adding flavor and moisture to poultry. Like injecting a bird properly you need to know how to properly brine a bird and what to use to create a flavor profile you want.
Here is some very good reading for those that want to understand how a brine works.
I hope this helps. :D
http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-O ... rining-101
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Re: Re: What are yall guys doing to chicken......

Postby CypertJ » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm

bruno994 wrote:the idea behind brining is the chemical change the salt creates (denaturing of the proteins) with the chicken allowing it to retain more moisture during cooking, not so much a gain in weight via moisture.

+1
Brine for moisture, and inject for flavor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Well I never thought I would change anybody's mind on the injectin vs. brining deal. Like I said I have done em all. You can take hours to brine a bird or 10 minutes to inject that bird. If salt and/or sugar is in the injection, the same chemical transition in the cell structures takes place. You just start from the middle of the flesh instead of the outside. Both are great techniques, but I quit making brines several years ago and ain't looked back.

There are those that marinade also. All will work if enuf time is allowed. I just choose to be lazy & impatient! :D :D :D :D
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 pm

BigDave wrote:Well I assure y'all I have tried most every chicken molestation cookin technique known to mankind! Brining, marinading, injectin, rubbin, combinations of aforementioned and making brine a week in advance so it really melds all the flavors.

For you briners here is a test, weigh yer brine before adding yardbird and weigh after removing yardbird! There ain't gonna be much difference I assure ya! Not much difference means not much went into that bird. Don't take my word for it, do the test yerself.

Only way to get stuff into a bird well is injectin the CORRECT way. Yes, there are different ways to inject that don't work well. And, as someone said, chicken still needs to taste like chicken! You need to use the correct needles. I recommend a 14 gauge needle. Can get em at vet supply, feed stores, Tractor Supply, etc. Most anywhere they sell livestock meds. These are surgical needles rasor sharp just like the doc uses to give you a shot only larger. They cut into the flesh instead of pushing into the flesh. Don't leave no injection tracts.

Most injections being sold use xantham gum as a thickener so the injection is less likely to come out when the needle is removed. Well if it is too thick to come out of a needle tract it is too thick to absorb into the flesh very far either. Make yer own injection folks! OK, I be giving up a secret. Take all that fat, excess skin, backbone, breast keel, etc & cut it into small pieces. Yes the bone, especially the bones! Place into a sauce pan on medium high heat and start rendering out that chicken fat. Once you start seeing a lot of liquid, add water and boil the heck out of that for 10 to 15 minutes, turn off heat & add whatever spices you use. Let that steep until the liquid is just warm. Strain with fine strainer, discard bones & stuff and you is left with pure chicken flavored greatness that came from yer bird!

Now, while just warm enuf to keep fat in liquid form, stirr quickly to mix fat to water, draw into needle and inject into COLD bird. The cold bird will solidify the fat in the bird. I guarantee that bird will be juicy two hours after it is first cut open if not over cooked. Very improtante as if yer bird advances to finals table, it needs to have some moisture left and not be dry. 2 ounces to a breast and 1.5 ounces to leg/thigh quarter is plenty for large bird. Less if smaller. Once that scrawny chicken plumps up to a thing of beauty it has enuf.

Oh, I use Big Country BBQ, "Simply Unique" rub too. Just an fyi! Yes, a shameless plug for me rub. But it is good and a proven winner by us and some other teams too! :)

If you're gunna give a shamless plug, I'm gunna hit you up ... I'm still waiting on that sample from when I did your logo :wink: :laughing7:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 am

BigDave wrote:Well I never thought I would change anybody's mind on the injectin vs. brining deal. Like I said I have done em all. You can take hours to brine a bird or 10 minutes to inject that bird. If salt and/or sugar is in the injection, the same chemical transition in the cell structures takes place. You just start from the middle of the flesh instead of the outside. Both are great techniques, but I quit making brines several years ago and ain't looked back.

There are those that marinade also. All will work if enuf time is allowed. I just choose to be lazy & impatient! :D :D :D :D

Once meat is inspected on Friday afternoon at a comp, I have nothing but time. My chicken halves are already in a 2 1/2 gallon ziplock, so I just pour my brine in and back in the ice they go. The least amount of handling of those nasty yardbirds I can do the better as far as I'm concerned.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 pm

bruno994 wrote:
BigDave wrote:Well I never thought I would change anybody's mind on the injectin vs. brining deal. Like I said I have done em all. You can take hours to brine a bird or 10 minutes to inject that bird. If salt and/or sugar is in the injection, the same chemical transition in the cell structures takes place. You just start from the middle of the flesh instead of the outside. Both are great techniques, but I quit making brines several years ago and ain't looked back.

u

Once meat is inspected on Friday afternoon at a comp, I have nothing but time. My chicken halves are already in a 2 1/2 gallon ziplock, so I just pour my brine in and back in the ice they go. The least amount of handling of those nasty yardbirds I can do the better as far as I'm concerned.

^^^^^^^
There ya go. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm

KAM, very good read thx for posting.....

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Southern Pride BBQ wrote:KAM, very good read thx for posting.....

Your very welcome Southern Pride BBQ. Once you learn the process and put aside all the myths brining is a solid way to add flavor and moisture to poultry. When you find a brine that works for you try taking the bird out of the brine and bag it on ice two or three hours before you season and cook. This will allow the juices to redistribute into the meat evenly.
I hope this helps. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 am

+1 for a great thread! Thanks to all for posting your thoughts and suggestions.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
brandon87 USER_AVATAR
Brandon87
Wrangler

Postby Brandon87 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:40 am

I brine. I see how injecting could work, too. But don't see how it is necessarily easier. Mixing water with some simple ingredients, pouring it in a bag with the chicken, and then leaving it alone until you are ready to cook seems pretty easy to me?!
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Fri May 17, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks fellas for all the advice, Made up a brine last night and headed out hopefully at lunch time to the cookoff, all packed up and ready to go.....

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”