Vertical smoker question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txhunter USER_AVATAR
TXHunter
Wrangler

Vertical smoker question

Postby TXHunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 am

We're planning a new pit build (on a trailer).

7ft smoke chamber...24" dia, 1/4" wall. dimensions on firebox is correct based on the online calculator, smoke stacks, etc. Going to have a 54x30 direct heat grill on the other side of the pit (with a grill that can be cranked up and down), wood storage, general storage, and propane burners up front. Leaving room in the front to add other stuff if we want to.

It's designed to be a offset/rev flow hybrid (stack on each end with tuning plates that can slide together to make one big plate for reverse flow.

HERE'S the question: We have an extra piece of 24" pipe that is 36" long. I was thinking a vertical smoker over the fire box would be cool. When not using the rev flow, it could be a great warmer. open a baffle, close off the main pipes and open the pipe on the vertical and use it to smoke with and add more cooking space.

OR...should it go on the other end?

OR...forget it (and why).

My buddy is having a co-worker build it. We've got all the pipe, axles, etc. He's building the trailer, and everything else. Charging us $2800 in labor + 700 parts (for trailer, mounting, etc). Seems fair for something this size.
Head Cook
New Braunfels Smokemeisters
txhunter USER_AVATAR
TXHunter
Wrangler

Re: Vertical smoker question

Postby TXHunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm

kinda like this...bit 24" and 7ft long. :)
...and a connection between the main chamber and the vertical...not a direct connection to the firebox like the pic below.
Head Cook
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:56 pm

TXHunter, I would put it if your in need of a warmer. Do the work now and save the aggravation of retro fitting later.
Your cooker sounds like my hybrid comp build in my signature. The warmer is fed by the main cooking chamber maybe y'all can get some ideas from it. If you need some more pics just let me know.
Franks design shows the swing damper between the firebox and cooking chamber which in my opinion is useless. I would also opt for a connection to the warmer from the main chamber rather than a vertical input from the firebox into the warmer but those are just my thoughts.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txhunter USER_AVATAR
TXHunter
Wrangler

Postby TXHunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 pm

k.a.m. wrote:TXHunter, I would put it if your in need of a warmer. Do the work now and save the aggravation of retro fitting later.
Your cooker sounds like my hybrid comp build in my signature. The warmer is fed by the main cooking chamber maybe y'all can get some ideas from it. If you need some more pics just let me know.
Franks design shows the swing damper between the firebox and cooking chamber which in my opinion is useless. I would also opt for a connection to the warmer from the main chamber rather than a vertical input from the firebox into the warmer but those are just my thoughts.
I hope this helps. :D

Yeah..totally agree with this, and our plans do both. The connection from the main chamber will have a baffle on it so you can run smoke, or cut it off and use it just for heating (6" pipe or channel).

OH...totally dig your hybrid set up.
Mucho nice!
Head Cook
txhunter USER_AVATAR
TXHunter
Wrangler

Postby TXHunter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 am

have some lay-out designs (sticking to the K.I.S.S. principle).
We're flopping back and forth between Plan 1 and Plan 2. Trying to decide which we'd use more...a vertical add-on or a direct heat grill. Kinda leaning towards direct heat..steaks, fajitas, etc.

here is super streamlined (with vertical):

here's the plan for the pit minus the vertical but using it as a direct heat:

here was the original:
like having the big grill, but it's going to be hard reaching the back of it I think.
the big direct heat was going to be half of a 56 x 30 x 1/2 piece of clad (half stainless half iron). No idea...buddy is in the steel business and said that's what it was. Was a custom cut for a customer at one of their yards and the customer didn't want it...so it was just sitting there.

We were thinking about 3 doors on the pit (7 ft).
Head Cook

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”