Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Beef or Venison Jalapeno-Cheddar and Bier Wurst

Postby Jarhead » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 am

Venison Cheddar-Jalapeno Summer Sausage
I have no idea who belongs to this recipe, so if it's yours claim it and thank you.
The Bier Wurst came from Kevin P. (TSR)

Y'all know how to chunk up, grind, mix and stuff meat, so I won't bore ya with a step by step.
I ground up some Farmer John Boneless Pork Butts that I got on sale. I will find somebody that carries Seaboard cause the FJ's SUCK. I think they made sure to attach more fat and throw in veins that I have never seen before. :shock:
I also ground up a whole Sirloin Tip. Same brand, it was better, but still not what I'm used to back in Missouri. I think I got X-cel last case of briskets that I bought there.

Anyway, here's the proof that they are in the smoker. I have some lump burning in a pan under them. I know it's a gasser so don't give me no crap. I miss my toys back home.

The recipes:
Venison Cheddar-Jalapeno Summer Sausage
Ingredients:
1 cup cold water (Buttermilk)
1-1/2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (butcher grind)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
3 pounds lean ground venison or (90/10 ground beef)
1 cup coarsely shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese or Hi-Temp cubes (I used shredded smoked sharp)
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and ground (1 tsp Chipotle Powder)
(11 g Binder #86)

Directions:
1. Stir the water, curing mixture, mustard seed, garlic powder, black pepper, and liquid smoke in a large bowl until the curing mixture has dissolved. Mix in the ground venison, Cheddar cheese, and jalapeño peppers; mix until evenly blended and somewhat sticky, about 3 minutes. Divide the mixture in half, and roll each half into 2 inch thick logs. Wrap each log tightly with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then remove the foil from the sausage logs, and place them onto the baking sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C), 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Cool the sausages on a rack until they have cooled to room temperature. Dab occasionally with a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Slice thinly to serve.

If it's in () then that's what I used, with the exception of the burger. It was ground 5# sirloin tip mixed with 1# ground pork butt, in the first recipe.
Made a test patty, mighty tasty. Didn't think about pics for the test on either one of them.

Bier Wurst
Kevin P (TSR)

1.06 kg beef
1.21 kg pork
2.67 g Butcher Grind Black Pepper
3.67 g Whole Mustard Seeds or mix of Ground (I used 50/50)
4.86 g Cure #1 (5.66 g ??? per WD.com)
pinch cardamon (didn't use it, I wasn't paying $13 for a tiny jar of it)
0.67 g Nutmeg
2.86 g Dextrose
20.0 g Morton Kosher Salt
11.32 g B & P NFDM
0.67 g Garlic Granules
150 mL Ice Water

Grind meat together through a 3/16" plate, add spices and water.
Mix until you get a bind. (at this point I ground the mixture again using a fine plate (3mm).
This may 'grind up' some of the mustard seed, so if you wish to have more visible seeds, add them after the fine grind).
Stuff into 3" to 4” cases.
Let rest overnight in the fridge to meld the spices and cure.
Place in smoker at 120 F for 2 hrs, no smoke.
Increase temp to 150 F apply smoke for 4 hrs, increase temp to 170 F and continue until internal temp of 155 F. (*For me, this step took nearly 8 hours... )
Remove from smoker and shower with cold water for 5 minutes then hang at room temp for 2 hrs to bloom.
Place in cooler overnight then slice or package.

All casings are 1.5" x 18" Mahogany. I know it has a deer on it, but I was supposed to be home for deer season and not in SoCal.

The reviews:

Jalapeno/Cheddar Summer Sausage
Nice texture and bite to it.
The buttermilk imparted a slight tang like you get in an cured sausage.
Nice warm after glow to it, just took a minute before it let you know that the pepper was there. I will double the Chipotle next time, as I like a little more heat.
My coarse, shredded cheddar all but disappeared. I will use cubes next time.
A bit more shrinkage than I expected. Probably due to the fact that there was only about 3-4% fat content.

Bier Wurst
Nice texture and bite to it.
There seemed to be a tang to it, but I don't know where it came from.
Had some air pockets in it, but probably due to the lean meat.
Shrunk way more than expected. I will either use Kevin's Regular NFDM or B&P Binder #86 next go 'round.
I wish it had a little heat to it, but then that would make it something else.

Overall both sausages came out and tasted great. It took way longer than I thought to get to the final temp.
Since I had no way to get the smoker to maintain 170F, I had to use the electric oven. I cracked the door a bit to let the moisture out.
I started out cold smoking with the tube smoker for 4 hours. At 3 pm, I put them into a 170F preheated oven. I figured as Kevin said about 8 hours. WRONG!!!
I got hungry during the wait and found some Pulled Pork, BBQ Pit Beans and some coleslaw from a couple nights ago, so I made me a sundae.

2:30 am, they finally hit 154F IT. Put them in a sink with cold water and a frozen 1 gallon jug of water and went to bed.
7 am, got back up and they were nice and cold. Hung them in the smoker to dry and now I'm gonna pack em up and put them in the fridge for Turkey Day snacks along with the smoked cheeses and crackers.
Thanks for looking. Y'all need to try these at least once, but I bet it don't stop there.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Beef or Venison Jalapeno-Cheddar and Bier Wurst

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 am

Gunny, ya did good, I am loving it. Got it copied deer season is here,gonna do that summer sausage for sure. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
rcart76 USER_AVATAR
rcart76
Cowboy

Postby rcart76 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Looks good!! Do you deliver?
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks CF. Now all ya need is that big ole deer to put in there.
RC, thank you. Sorry, I ain't Dominos. :laughing7:
"Gunny"
KCBS CBJ
david s USER_AVATAR
David S
Rustler

Postby David S » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 am

Gunny, another great post! Curious why the second sausage wasn't smoked for the first two hours. Thanks!
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 am

Good morning David. Thank you.
I just copied and pasted the recipe that Kevin sent me.
I think it is to air dry the sausage and to bring it up in temp.
The smoke will penetrate a dry casing better and reduce the chances of streaks on the outside, especially when using clear casings.
After stuffing, I let them air dry (no heat) for a couple hours. They sweated pretty good during that time. I just kept wiping em with a paper towel until they quit.
I started out using the Weber pan but couldn't maintain temps, so I just cold smoked em for 4 hours and tossed em in the oven. IMO, they could have used 6 hours of smoke.
I guess I need to go back and rewrite the directions. They all hit 154F IT about the same time give or take 10 minutes.
Happy Birthday Marines.
"Gunny"
KCBS CBJ
david s USER_AVATAR
David S
Rustler

Postby David S » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Gunny,