500 Gallon Propane Tank Build, Help!

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bockbock
Cowboy

500 Gallon Propane Tank Build, Help!

Postby Bockbock » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 am

Hey all, getting ready to have my 500 gallon propane tank converted into a smoker with the offset firebox. Can someone tell me how to set up the tuning plates to help distribute the heat as evenly as possible? Also, I was thinking the firebox will be a 36" X 36" X 36" offset on the end. How far down on the tank should it be mounted? On the chimney, I was thinking a 10" pipe about 25" in length. Any help with more details would be greatly appreciated. I am not actually doing the build, but my friend that is a professional welder is doing it. Thank ya much!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: 500 Gallon Propane Tank Build, Help!

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Bockbock, you could cut the height of your firebox down to 30" and be closer to a 1/3 rule on your project then an exhaust 10" diam 25" tall will work nicely. A half moon opening of 28.5" wide x 14.25" tall will give you 319.00 Sq. in. this will be slightly larger than you need but when you add a 1.5" to 2" tall grease bridge you will be fine. I like 5" to 6" clearance on my tuning plates from my lowest grates sometimes I achieve this with a deflector, meaning the top of my firebox is slightly higher than I need so I add an angled plate down to the tuning plate rails. The amount of plates and spacing varies with each cooker. I like to be able to maneuver my plates anywhere from 1/4" to 2" wide. Your length will probably lend itself to 8" or 9" wide plates.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jay
Pilgrim

Postby jay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 pm

HEY BOCKBOCK YOU CAN GO TO THE WEB SITE BBQ SMOKER CALCULATOR IT WILL HELP YOU OUT A LOT.
I STARTED BUILDING A 500 GAL SMOKER LAST YEAR I HAVE THE PIT FINISHED BUT STILL A LOT OF WORK TO DO ON THE TRAILER GOOD LUCK.JAY
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Trying to get a handle on lengths, diameters, angled metal etc.. I planned on using the 10" pipe and the 25" exhaust, just need to figure out the rest. Your info will sure help.

BockBock
Bockbock
Dillo Q
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Would you recommend 2 doors or 3 on the cooking chamber? I can't decide which would be better, will take suggestions. Thanks.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 am

Bockbock, knowing what your main use for the cooker will help in determining door sizes. If your planning on just briskets, Butts, ribs and chicken you could probably squeeze three doors on a 500 gall easily. If you think one day you may want to cook a whole hog in the 70lb range then you may want to look into a 60/40 split with the larger door being at least 50" wide.
I hope this helps. :)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jay
Pilgrim

Postby jay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 am

BockBock here are some pics of the smoker that I have started, but its just been to hot to get out there to work on the smoker, but maybe I can finish it this fall when its cooler. Take a look at K.A.M smoker he made, its somthing to see and he has a lot of great ideas also.

[IMG=http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1575/smoker2011009.jpg][/IMG]

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”