Chicken Help

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big hat - anw USER_AVATAR
Big Hat - ANW
Pilgrim

Chicken Help

Postby Big Hat - ANW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Cooking in Waco next week @ Lone Star Barbecue Society event. 1/2 Chicken always has me baffled. I do not cook in a lot of comps...last year I was amazed that most of the cookers used a small pit to only cook chicken on. It seemed like they were grilling. Any advise on preparing and cooking a 1/2 Chicken for the event?
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Chicken Help

Postby limey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am

Brining is a must when high grilling, fruit sauces such as peach have done well also.
Good luck
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm

You would be correct when saying grilling is more accurate than bbq'ing for most cookers at competitions. Reason being is the high heat crisps the the skin better than cooking at lower temps. That being said I will say it's not impossible to win cooking chicken at lower temps, I usually cook mine at around 275. I personally had alot of issues with chicken about 2 years ago and since discovering the recipes I use now it's prolly been my most successful category.

A) Chicken should taste like chicken. If your brining youre prolly fine with this, however if you're injecting dont over power the chicken with Italian dressing or fruit juices (Not saying a little isn't ok, just don't over do it).

B) Come up with a glaze that compliments your brine/ injection and rub. As mentioned fruit flavors combined w/ bbq sauces do well.

C) Do a few trial runs at home before the comp so you're not shooting in the dark at the comp with your results.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 am

I got my first call in chicken grilling it over a hot fire. I used to smoke it @ 250 and I loved it that way, but never got a call or a final table.
Brines are great for chicken, I highly recommend them.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Agree its great both ways but grill just gets more calls, there's just something about that little extra flavor the grease dripping and vaporizing into the cooker air and attaching (of sorts) itself to the chicken, good stuff.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 pm

guess it just depends on HOW you smoke it. Chicken is my most consistent call and has always been done on the smoker
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 pm

We've won both ways, Jimmy is right though you need to take care when smoking it. Grilling doesn't require as much baby sitting as it gets done quickly, but pay attention because you can blow past your finish temp in a hurry....
"Sic 'em Bears"
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Pony Express wrote:guess it just depends on HOW you smoke it. Chicken is my most consistent call and has always been done on the smoker

Tis true. It is possibly to "crisp" the skin of chicken without having to grill it... may not be quite a crispy but if you know what to add it can be done. My biggest win to date (as in # of teams, 152) came cooking it @ the temp mentioned above.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
*SL*Celaya
Pilgrim

Postby *SL*Celaya » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Take jtilks advise or if you want take Redneck's cooking class. Well worth it in the chicken catagory. Since the class, it has landed me two top ten calls in chicken. darn good recipe and pretty simple and easy as well.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:26 am

Do judges really sample the skin? Seems like they would just go after the meat. I agree a brine is a must to get some flavor into that chicken meat.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm

js-tx wrote:Do judges really sample the skin? Seems like they would just go after the meat. I agree a brine is a must to get some flavor into that chicken meat.

I've helped Zilla judge and watched the judges. Some do and some dont.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Pony Express wrote:
js-tx wrote:Do judges really sample the skin? Seems like they would just go after the meat. I agree a brine is a must to get some flavor into that chicken meat.

I've helped Zilla judge and watched the judges. Some do and some dont.

So better to play it safe and get that skin right! BTW congrats on your walk a couple days ago. 3rd in ribs? I still got work to do, I got 20th.
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm

next comp i'm gonna combine...smoke it low-n-slow for flavor then crisp it with a glaze on a grill...banzai!!!!
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”